Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Tokyo metro versus Yamanote: Which less tiring?

Old Dec 28, 19, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

I always take Toyko metro as a tourist but all the stairs and connections make it really tiring.

Is Yamanote better as it is mostly above ground? Or is it more crowded with commuters and not fun too?
Old Dec 28, 19, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by Stocktc1 View Post
I always take Toyko metro as a tourist but all the stairs and connections make it really tiring.

Is Yamanote better as it is mostly above ground? Or is it more crowded with commuters and not fun too?
Not as tiring as all the walking you'll have to do going from a Yamanote line station to many attractions inside and outside the loop...
pudgym29 and DeepUnderground like this.
Old Dec 28, 19, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA, NW
The greatest advantage of the Metro is that it goes more places in central Tokyo than the JR commuter lines, such the Yamanote or the Chuo or the Sobu.

I don't know where you're finding so many stairs on the Metro. My impression is that the Metro is mostly served by escalators, some of them very long, much more so than the JR stations, many of which still have stairs only, although I'm finding more and more elevators.

My advice would be to get a Suica or Pasmo card and simply use either the Metro, the JR, or the private commuter lines (Toyoko, Keio, Seibu, etc.) depending on which goes closest to your destination.
Kannai, rustykettel and downinit like this.
Old Dec 28, 19, 9:19 pm

Programs: AC E50K, Accor , ANA, Avios

Frankly I would not spend more than 1 minute dwelling on this. Just take whichever gives the shorter time start to finish, easily determined by hyperdia.
Old Dec 28, 19, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

I use the tourist tokyo metro passes. What is the best one for yamanote? I don't think they make a multi-day pass for tourists.
Old Dec 29, 19, 12:10 am

Programs: HH, BD
I use the tourist tokyo metro passes. What is the best one for yamanote? I don't think they make a multi-day pass for tourists.
There are passes that cover JR. But it's generally better to get a SUICA or PASMO and then take whichever transportation options are best for the places you want to visit.
https://tokyocheapo.com/travel/trans...ne-day-passes/

I have a feeling that your feeling of tiredness stems partly from the artificial constraint that you're putting on your travel by using a Tokyo Metro pass.
Old Dec 29, 19, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

It also depends where you are based and where are you going to ( if you have a metro only pass it can restrict your routing).

In April this year we were at the new otani hotel and found the Tokyo Metro Ginza and Marunouchi lines very useful.

In November I was at the Hilton Tokyo Shinjuku so found the JR Yamanote & Chuo lines and the Toei Oedo lines useful ( used the Suica card)

I found that on the metro some exits only had escalators ( going in the opposite direction that you were going!) but the steps were not bad at all ( the oedo line seemed to be the deepest)

Outside peak times the Yamanote line was relatively quiet but filled up on the stations before the main JR line stations ( then empited) but fine to travel.

Regards

TBS

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Dec 29, 19 at 3:09 am
Old Dec 29, 19, 10:43 am

Programs: AC E50K, Accor , ANA, Avios
If you wish to use JR trains in Central Tokyo you can always buy a Tokunai pass for 760 yen. Works on calendar day and you can buy from any ticket machine in the service area of the pass or you can buy at ticket counters (but that would take longer than just using the machine)

If you are using JR enough times in a day it saves a bit of money, but as others mentioned a Suica or Pasmo pass is often easier. People waste too much energy figuring they need a "pass" for every occasion, but that is often not the case.

https://www.jreast.co.jp/multi/pass/tokunai_pass.html

rustykettel and RichardInSF like this.

Last edited by mapleg; Dec 29, 19 at 11:32 am
Old Dec 29, 19, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Yurakucho

Yea, we needed to go to Yurakucho and we only had the tokyo metro day pass. To save money, we didn't take the yamanote. I mean for 3 people total, using the tokyo metro pass was best but it was tiring...
Old Dec 29, 19, 8:01 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, GHA Black
If you find taking the metro tiring in general (i.e. you don't like walking from the train to the exit and then up the stairs (or a detour to an elevator), then the JR lines aren't going to be any different.

Anyway I concur with @mapleg ... in my view just pasmo/suica and travel on whichever metro or JR line gives you the most convenient connection. The miniscule amount of money saved by trying to stick with only the metro cos of the day pass(es) isn't worth the trouble IMO.
Old Dec 30, 19, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yea, we needed to go to Yurakucho and we only had the tokyo metro day pass. To save money, we didn't take the yamanote. I mean for 3 people total, using the tokyo metro pass was best but it was tiring...
Iím starting to feel concern for you, Stocktc. Yurakucho is a small area well served by both JR and the Metro.

May I earnestly advise that, no matter what kind of amazing deal comes up for it, you never base yourself at the Yokohama Intercontinental Hotel.
TYO what can i do?
Old Dec 30, 19, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

hotel

It was intercontinental osaka.

Also, it was shimbashi to yurakucho. One station over for yamanote.

Instead for tokyo metro, shimbashi to ginza to hibiya then walk to yurakucho.
Old Dec 31, 19, 12:48 am

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
After many trips to Tokyo - I don't find passes to offer particularly generous cost savings. So maybe I save a few bucks - but at the expense of limiting myself to a single system..... eh, not really worth the hassle. I have bought the one day JR Tokunai pass if I know on a particular day I am only planning to head to places on the JR line, but then at 750Y I won't bother if I won't rack up at least 5 rides.

Google for the most convenient routes between 2 places, and just SUICA/PASMO it.
Old Dec 31, 19, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was intercontinental osaka.

Also, it was shimbashi to yurakucho. One station over for yamanote.

Instead for tokyo metro, shimbashi to ginza to hibiya then walk to yurakucho.
For three people, Shimbashi to Yurakucho by taxi would have been the least tiring choice. And no more than about 250yen each.
Old Dec 31, 19, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by LapLap View Post
For three people, Shimbashi to Yurakucho by taxi would have been the least tiring choice. And no more than about 250yen each.
You could have walked it for a shorter total distance than all the walking you did to do it via Metro. And it would have been free.
ksandness and RichardInSF like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: