Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on my itinerary -2 almost days. Convenient Base.

Old Dec 8, 2019, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; AA Platinum

Due to a change in JAL flights, we find ourselves with 2 nights and almost 2 whole days in Japan early April. We had visited Tokyo a few years ago and went to Kyoto and Mt Fuji, so this time, we want to do a day trip to Kamakura, and then the second day, walk around locally until it is time to head back to the airport in the evening. We fly into Haneda and fly out from Haneda.

What area would be a convenient base for us? We might go into proper Tokyo city once so not sure if staying in the Shinjuku area would make sense. Could Asakusa be an option?

TIA for your thoughts...
Old Dec 8, 2019, 6:06 am

Programs: JAL Global Club, ANA Super Flyers
If you’re going to be headed to Kamakura, I think it would be convenient for you to be close to a station where either the Yokosuka Line or the Ueno-Tokyo Line stops, depending on how you want to get down there. The Yokosuka Line heads directly to JR Kamakura, while with the Ueno-Tokyo line, you can take a slightly longer and more scenic route via Fujisawa and the Enoshima Electric Railway, which runs along the coast.

Asakusa’s certainly not a bad choice. It’s a great neighborhood, and Ueno is only a couple of stops away, making catching the Ueno-Tokyo line a breeze.
Desirees likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 6:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Early April can be an expensive period to find a hotel room in Japan due to the cherry blossoms. Hotels can be full too, thereby limiting the choices. I'd try to find a reasonable hotel close to convenient transportation to/from HND (the airport limobus might work better than trying to use the rail lines, which are limited from HND if you don't want to transfer at least once) and the station for the Kamakura trip (Shinigawa?).
Desirees likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 1:10 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
How about Yokohama?
Old Dec 8, 2019, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by blitzen
How about Yokohama?
Yokohoma to stay?
Old Dec 8, 2019, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Early April can be an expensive period to find a hotel room in Japan due to the cherry blossoms. Hotels can be full too, thereby limiting the choices. I'd try to find a reasonable hotel close to convenient transportation to/from HND (the airport limobus might work better than trying to use the rail lines, which are limited from HND if you don't want to transfer at least once) and the station for the Kamakura trip (Shinigawa?).
MSPeconomist - any specific suggestions on location?
Old Dec 8, 2019, 6:26 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Vaguely near Shinigawa station, there's a Conrad There are also several Prince properties (all Starriott/Bonvoy) that are co-located in a park-like setting; at least one is LC and all three have lounges.

For independent hotels with some great views of trees and leaves, I like Imperial and the Palace, both near Tokyo Station and the Imperial Palace.

Hyatt has several places with good views: Andaz, PH and HR (plus a gorgeous historic place that's more Japanese in style right in Tokyo Station) although I know their fall views (of colored leaves and not necessarily cherry trees) more.
Desirees likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Vaguely near Shinigawa station, there's a Conrad and also several Prince properties (all Starriott/Bonvoy) that are co-located in a park-like setting; at least one is LC and all three have lounges.

For independent hotels with some great views of trees and leaves, I like Imperial and the Palace, both near Tokyo Station and the Imperial Palace.

Hyatt has several places with good views: Andaz, PH and HR (plus a gorgeous historic place that's more Japanese in style right in Tokyo Station) although I know their fall views (of colored leaves and not necessarily cherry trees) more.
Thank you!
Old Dec 8, 2019, 6:34 pm

BTW, IIRC there are a lot of cherry trees around the Imperial Palace. I've been told (but haven't personally seen) that there are also a lot of them in Asakusa.

When NW and then DL were using NRT, the drive by limobus between airport and city went near a bunch of cherry trees near the airport, but I don't recall seeing them near HND.

Note that the Conrad I mentioned is not in a park-like setting. I'm not sure whether this is the one called The Strings or whether it's a different location with The Strings being somewhat closer to Ginza.
Desirees likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 7:36 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by Desirees
Yokohoma to stay?
Yes close to a Haneda and Kamakura
Desirees and ksandness like this.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: UA, NW
Since you have already spent time in Tokyo and want to see something different and have only a short time, Yokohama will do nicely. The city is long and narrow along the coast, and the real center of activity is at Sakuragi-cho, not so much at Yokohama Station, but they are pretty close together.

I've often visited friends in Kamakura, and my recollection is that the trains run pretty frequently.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.