Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Ordering New year Osechi online

Ordering New year Osechi online

Old Dec 4, 19, 9:04 pm

Programs: United, Hilton
Originally Posted by acregal View Post
If you ask a lot of Japanese people, osechi is something that people eat but don't necessarily enjoy.
thats exactly right.
Parents order every year, but no one loves it.
No one eats preserved kazunoko or black beans.
Kinton looks like u know what.
now we get one Chinese osechi, one regular. Chinese ones a lot more popular, no one except my parents touches the traditional one.
Then we go to Hidakaya for real food lol
Old Dec 4, 19, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA MP
Originally Posted by evergrn View Post
now we get one Chinese osechi, one regular. Chinese ones a lot more popular, no one except my parents touches the traditional one.
FiL loves Chinese food and I bet he would love Chinese osechi, but I have the feeling that MiL would complain (even though she doesn't like traditional osechi either).
Old Dec 5, 19, 12:19 am

Programs: United, Hilton
Originally Posted by acregal View Post
FiL loves Chinese food and I bet he would love Chinese osechi, but I have the feeling that MiL would complain (even though she doesn't like traditional osechi either).
Chinese osechi isn't anything special, either.
You can do far better at an average cheap Chinese restaurant than the cold ebi chili and char siu you get in osechi.
But at least it's edible, so it's a good option for us in keeping the osechi tradition going.
Old Dec 5, 19, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xmzzn123 View Post
Wow very helpful discussion, thanks everyone! Side note, do you guys know where can I get some great deals on lucky bag on new years day? Which department store is the best?

Thanks! =)
I gave a stab at answering in post #2 in this thread about the end of the year in Tokyo
Tokyo in December
As a rule of thumb you should just aim for places, departments or brand flagship stores where you’d normally want to buy stuff. If there are kids back home who love everything Hello Kitty, go to a Sanrio shop or a Sanrio section in a department store, if you have friends who are really into stationery, go to a stationery store. What is “best” is utterly subjective.
Old Dec 5, 19, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt globalist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LapLap View Post
I gave a stab at answering in post #2 in this thread about the end of the year in Tokyo
Tokyo in December
As a rule of thumb you should just aim for places, departments or brand flagship stores where you’d normally want to buy stuff. If there are kids back home who love everything Hello Kitty, go to a Sanrio shop or a Sanrio section in a department store, if you have friends who are really into stationery, go to a stationery store. What is “best” is utterly subjective.

Thanks! Sorry I didn’t know there’s a thread for December
LapLap likes this.
Old Dec 10, 19, 4:07 am

An old friend came to visit me in late December in the 90's in Fukuoka. He is a pretty good cook and we decided to make rack of lamb (which was fairly easy to find) and also a salad nicoise (sp) amongst other things.The olives for the the salad were proving a bit difficult but he found some at the Iwataya Depatika in Tenjin. So we invited some friends , roasted the lamb and he made the salad . We all sat down to eat, and we were enjoying the meal when I looked over and my friend had turned beet red. Seems that the olives weren't olives at all.........they were those glistening giant black beans meant for someones osechi............
jib71 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: