Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Music concerts

Music concerts

Old Nov 22, 19, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Amex Plat
Music concerts

Last summer our Europe trip coincided with some great bands on tour so we rearranged a bit in order to attend concerts. Next July we will be in Tokyo and Kyoto and hope to do the same. Any suggestions on where to find whoís touring? All my usual sites arenít showing dates for that far out yet. Maybe true everywhere but Iím thinking there must be some concerts scheduled for at least Tokyo.
Old Nov 22, 19, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

First point of call would be the websites of record labels and the bands you are already interested in seeing. Tour dates are generally added as soon as they are confirmed.
I might be wrong, but the way your post is phrased it doesn’t sound like your priority is discovering Japanese music, just seeing bands you are already familiar with.
Do bear in mind that the costs of playing live in Japan are substantially higher than in Europe and entry prices to clubs and live music venues are probably steeper than what you will have paid in Europe (a typical tour in Japan will usually be just two cities - Tokyo and Osaka - in Europe, bands get to drive to more locations). Still, that expensive ticket price in Japan will probably include a drink or two.
Old Nov 23, 19, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by LapLap View Post
First point of call would be the websites of record labels and the bands you are already interested in seeing. Tour dates are generally added as soon as they are confirmed.
I might be wrong, but the way your post is phrased it doesnít sound like your priority is discovering Japanese music, just seeing bands you are already familiar with.
Do bear in mind that the costs of playing live in Japan are substantially higher than in Europe and entry prices to clubs and live music venues are probably steeper than what you will have paid in Europe (a typical tour in Japan will usually be just two cities - Tokyo and Osaka - in Europe, bands get to drive to more locations). Still, that expensive ticket price in Japan will probably include a drink or two.
Yes, you are correct re seeing bands we like (not specifically Japanese music) and I shouldíve been more specific. The thing is, we found our last summerís concerts entirely by accident. I wouldnít have necessarily searched for Tears for Fears (didnít realize they were still touring TBH) but discovered they were playing in a nearby town and voila. One of the best concerts Iíve ever been to and in a really cool and unusual venue.

Does Japan have a Ticketmaster type website?
Old Nov 23, 19, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Haven’t used these guys but this seems to be the sort of service you are after
https://www.japanconcerttickets.com/about-us/

(Poo! Am arriving too late to catch Foals in March )
Old Nov 25, 19, 8:32 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus - Blue / Emirates Skywards - Blue
Just to add context - Japan does have it's own large ticketing agencies in the form of
Pia
L-Tike
Rakuten
Eplus

They have similar "presales" to the west for fan club members and so on.

If you're able to read Japanese (or have got a lot of guts) you can technically pay via credit card and then pick up at a local convenience store but you need to know what you're doing. For example I bought some tickets for a live show in Harajuku and won a spot in the pre sale ballot and I only had about 72 hours to pay for the ticket before my ticket was released back in to the general pool.

So for the general person using a agent is probably the best thing. However if you like musicals for example Gekidan Shiki who has the control of all the big broadway / west end musicals does have an English speaking number that you can use to book tickets yourself and pick up at the theatre but these kind of opportunities are few and far between.

As far as BIG names go like Love Live, Arashi and what not the mere moral tourist stands no chance of getting those tickets - for popular Japanese bands application tickets are distributed sometimes 6 - 8 months in advance in CD's which allow people to pre apply for tickets. For the big names the amount of tickets that goes on general sale at the end of sometimes 3 - 4 pre sales is usually only a small percentage of the actual number because they've already been bought up by fans using pre sales.
LapLap likes this.
Old Nov 25, 19, 11:18 pm

You might want to look at Viagogo which is like StubHub (StubHub being sold to viagogo https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300964581.html) for concert dates. Do be careful that tickets may be matched to ids for popular groups. https://www.reddit.com/r/japanlife/c...nd_osaka_gigs/

Originally Posted by mrploddy View Post
As far as BIG names go like Love Live, Arashi and what not the mere moral tourist stands no chance of getting those tickets - for popular Japanese bands application tickets are distributed sometimes 6 - 8 months in advance in CD's which allow people to pre apply for tickets. For the big names the amount of tickets that goes on general sale at the end of sometimes 3 - 4 pre sales is usually only a small percentage of the actual number because they've already been bought up by fans using pre sales.
Love Live did a foreigner ticket package lottery for a concert in November 2018 and for the upcoming concert in Jan 2020 Lovelive! Sunshine!! Official Worldwide Website | NEWS. I'm sure this isn't news to foreign Love Live fans but perhaps other BIG Japanese Musical names do something similar?

ETA: I remember trying to book a room near Hakata Station in November 2018 many months in advance and availability was scarce + expensive. I emailed the local tourism bureau as the calendar didn't have anything listed, they weren't sure at first but then the answer: Arashi was performing as part of the 20th anniversary tour. I think one of the more interesting things was seeing fans at the airport with their fan gear, all flying as solo pax. When I think of US concerts, I usually think of people going in pairs or groups.

Last edited by freecia; Nov 25, 19 at 11:29 pm
Old Nov 25, 19, 11:27 pm

Programs: UA MM *G, NH Plat/SFC, HH Diamond, GE
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis View Post
Last summer our Europe trip coincided with some great bands on tour so we rearranged a bit in order to attend concerts. Next July we will be in Tokyo and Kyoto and hope to do the same. Any suggestions on where to find whoís touring? All my usual sites arenít showing dates for that far out yet. Maybe true everywhere but Iím thinking there must be some concerts scheduled for at least Tokyo.
You can go to the Smash website for concert listings. Smash are one of the largest concert promoters in Japan and bring a lot of foreign bands to Japan. They already have listings for next summer and I think they sell their tickets via Pia.

And if you like music festivals, keep an eye out on the lineup for Fuji Rock Festival. Fuji Rock is usually held the last week of July but I believe it's being moved to August to accommodate the Olympics schedule. Fuji Rock is simply one of the best music festival experiences in the world, on the same level as Glastonbury and Coachella, if you've ever been. https://en.fujirockfestival.com/
freecia likes this.
Old Nov 26, 19, 3:09 pm

There are several music festivals that go on in the summer. Fuji Rock and Summer Sonic come to mind.
Old Nov 26, 19, 4:10 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, DL Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by mrploddy View Post
for popular Japanese bands application tickets are distributed sometimes 6 - 8 months in advance in CD's which allow people to pre apply for tickets.
Ah, that's a clever way to keep CD sales relevant!
Old Nov 26, 19, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Wow! All of this information is exactly what I was hoping for. Iím going to start the quest now. Will report back if successful. I knew my fellow FTers would come through. Thanks!!!
Old Nov 26, 19, 7:13 pm
mjm
Original Member

My go to is the Blue Note and they have the schedule up on their site. Same with the Cotton Club.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: