New Year 2020

Old Oct 9, 19, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PtPro (1 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
New Year 2020

One of major convenience store chain in Japan, Lawson, has announced that on January 1, 2020 100 of its stores will be closed.

In old days used to be pretty much most businesses start closing on afternoon of December 31 and remain closed during January 1-3. Then during '80s convenience stores started to open during January 1-3 which started the trend of opening business during January 1-3. However, past 5 years or so there have been trend of closing business like old days. Now convenience stores which started the trend of opening during New Year is saying they will close the business during New Year.

For anybody planning a trip to Japan during this coming New Year, it looks like more business will be closed on New Year January 1, 2020 compare with January 1, 2019.

Last edited by AlwaysAisle; Oct 9, 19 at 2:40 pm
Old Oct 9, 19, 2:35 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
One minor nit-pick: "convenience store." not "continence ..."
Old Oct 9, 19, 6:06 pm

Programs: HH, BD
Originally Posted by abmj-jr View Post
One minor nit-pick: "convenience store." not "continence ..."
If you have problems with continence, they can be quite convenient.
Old Oct 9, 19, 8:50 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I was trying to wrap my head around a "continent store." The mind reels.

AA, we are just having a little fun. We know it was a simple typo.
Old Oct 9, 19, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do hope the trend towards opening stores in the New Year is looked back on as a Historical blip and that more and more will go back to being closed at this time.
Am personally pleased to hear this decision and hope Lawson (and the other convenience stores) scale back further in the coming years.
Old Oct 10, 19, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by LapLap View Post
I do hope the trend towards opening stores in the New Year is looked back on as a Historical blip and that more and more will go back to being closed at this time.
Am personally pleased to hear this decision and hope Lawson (and the other convenience stores) scale back further in the coming years.
This appears quite similar to stores opening on Thanksgiving in the US in recent years, and the current trend which is scaling it back, thankfully.
Old Oct 10, 19, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BeachRat View Post
This appears quite similar to stores opening on Thanksgiving in the US in recent years, and the current trend which is scaling it back, thankfully.
I suspect there is a little more to it.
The pressure on convenience store franchise holders to remain open at all hours throughout the year has brought hardship to many, and consumers in Japan have woken up to this and are expressing sympathy.
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/n...ckstories/394/
jib71 likes this.
Old Oct 11, 19, 6:30 am

Just for some perspective, 100 stores is well under one percent of the 14,000 Lawson stores in Japan.
Old Oct 11, 19, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PtPro (1 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by lobsterdog View Post
Just for some perspective, 100 stores is well under one percent of the 14,000 Lawson stores in Japan.
Yes, that is correct. However, Lawson will not be the only business which will be doing this on January 1, 2020. Past five years or so trend is that more and more businesses were closing during New Year, some major department stores has decided to close their stores on New Year. It is enough so that change is noticeable by locals. I think pretty much most will agree that trend of Jan. 1, 2020 New Year is that more business will decide to close compare with New Year 2019, New Year 2018, etc.
Old Oct 16, 19, 8:45 am

My impression in Tokyo, over a longer scale, has been just the opposite. Far more places (department stores, shopping malls) seemed to be open on January 2 this year compared to previous years.

Search this Thread