FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Japan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-509/)
-   -   Renting with Swiss DL in Japan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan/1986812-renting-swiss-dl-japan.html)

Concerto Sep 5, 2019 2:40 pm

Renting with Swiss DL in Japan

My main use for it is the car rental protection. Although, I have to ring them up and find out how covered I will be in Japan.

whiskey_sk Sep 6, 2019 7:50 am

Originally Posted by Concerto (Post 31494719)
My main use for it is the car rental protection. Although, I have to ring them up and find out how covered I will be in Japan.

...and a subtle hint - get an international driving license before you go.

Concerto Sep 6, 2019 12:26 pm

Apparently, if you look over at the Renting a Car thread in the Japan forum, that won't help me at all because Japan does not recognize the IDP in connection with a normal German or Swiss license. Apparently I have to get a translation of it once I arrive, which will cost about €30. There is a handful of countries whose licenses are not valid with the IDP, seemingly.

oliver2002 Sep 8, 2019 6:36 am

Originally Posted by Concerto (Post 31498056)
Apparently, if you look over at the Renting a Car thread in the Japan forum, that won't help me at all because Japan does not recognize the IDP in connection with a normal German or Swiss license. Apparently I have to get a translation of it once I arrive, which will cost about €30. There is a handful of countries whose licenses are not valid with the IDP, seemingly.

Last year when I was travelling in JP with NR I had to get my German DL translated in advance at the JAF and the rental companies in Okinawa and near Tokio asked for it and took copies of it.

Concerto Sep 8, 2019 7:14 am

I am hoping to do it the morning after arrival at the JAF in Sapporo. According to the Japan car rental thread they will be able to do it the same day and pick up is two days after arrival. Have you any idea if the M&M credit card offers the same protection over there?

oliver2002 Sep 8, 2019 3:08 pm

Yes, but you have to purchase CDW when renting there anyway.

Concerto Sep 8, 2019 3:40 pm

Even though I am covered by the M&M CC? Suppose it makes sense just to have piece of mind. Renting a car in Japan is fraught with rules and regulations, I hear. It's with JR Hokkaido Rent a Car, and the confirmation says:

At the JR Hokkaido Rent a Car counter, you may decide to buy additional cover – to reduce or remove your excess, or to cover things your Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) doesn’t, such as tyres and windscreen.

whiskey_sk Sep 8, 2019 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 31503143)
Last year when I was travelling in JP with NR I had to get my German DL translated in advance at the JAF and the rental companies in Okinawa and near Tokio asked for it and took copies of it.

IDP works in Japan (mine did in Okinawa last year), but it has to be according to the Geneva convention, not the Vienna one.

mmff Sep 9, 2019 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by whiskey_sk (Post 31504689)
IDP works in Japan (mine did in Okinawa last year), but it has to be according to the Geneva convention, not the Vienna one.

TIL that there are two conventions for IDP. Thanks!

Concerto Sep 10, 2019 6:27 am

If I get an IDP done in Switzerland can I, somehow logically, choose the Geneva one then? When I arrive at Sapporo I could immediately ask at the car rental desk if they accept my IDP, or if I need to go to JR to get a translation.

Sorry, we're way off from the Promotions topic. But I am sad to say that there are no promotions I would consider throwing money at these days, not a single decent newspaper subscription. There is currently an offer at Hertz for 3,000 miles for a car rental, minimum 2 days rental and no car group A. I suppose it can be found on the website, but I find that Beschiss of a website so awful and I can never find anything on it. Saw it on the M&M app.

Payback, on the other hand, has quite a few offers for magazine subs, such as the current one offering 500+300 points for 3 months subs priced somewhere around the €8-€9 range. As a reminder, Payback points also convert 1:1 into M&M miles.

oliver2002 Sep 10, 2019 7:45 am

I don't know what countrys DL you have but for Germans there is no choice of convention for the IDP. Hence you have to get the JAF translation period. This applies for DL issued in Switzerland, Germany, France, Belgium, Monaco, Estonia and Taiwan

JAF|For foreign nationals with a driver?s license issued in Switzerland, Germany, France,Belgium, Monaco, Estonia and Taiwan or Taiwan

Concerto Sep 11, 2019 7:29 am

So, to get this clear, should I get myself an International Drivers License in addition to getting my license translated once in Japan? If I do, then I've got all bases covered. I also have a German license in addition to a Swiss one (long story, another time) and I would rather use that in a way. But I believe they look very closely at your current residence and that for me is definitely Switzerland at the moment.