FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Japan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-509/)
-   -   3 hours enough to transfer in NRT? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan/1986802-3-hours-enough-transfer-nrt.html)

Commie Sep 10, 2019 11:43 pm

3 hours enough to transfer in NRT?

I have a flight out of NRT at 6:30pm on an Air Canada flight to Vancouver. I will be in Osaka that day, and there is an ANA flight that gets me from Osaka to NRT at 3:30pm. Is that enough time to check luggage and make the AC flight at 6:30? This will be in January, so does weather play a factor?
There is another ANA flight that is much much early and gets me into NRT by 10am. But I rather not get up so early for the flight if I don't have to.

garykung Sep 11, 2019 12:04 am

3 hours are more than enough.

Just remember - When things happen, how much more time you have won't protect you.

Tokyoite Sep 11, 2019 5:19 am

NRT transfer....you will be bored with 3 whole hours there. You have three lounges to enjoy though (if you have access)

cm007d Sep 11, 2019 2:56 pm

Would answers be the same for HND I have a 3 hour lay over between my ANA flight from JFK and my TG flight to BKK. I am guessing it shouldn't be an major issue, but the only thing I am worried about since my flight is also in Jan of being delayed arriving at HND or departing JFK due to weather.

bpe Sep 11, 2019 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by cm007d (Post 31515199)
Would answers be the same for HND I have a 3 hour lay over between my ANA flight from JFK and my TG flight to BKK. I am guessing it shouldn't be an major issue, but the only thing I am worried about since my flight is also in Jan of being delayed arriving at HND or departing JFK due to weather.

Yes, 3 hours is plenty, unless there are huge delays at JFK. Of course nobody can predict that now, but even a 2h departure delay is probably fine as the flight can make up some time in the air.

cm007d Sep 12, 2019 9:03 am

Originally Posted by bpe (Post 31515628)
Yes, 3 hours is plenty, unless there are huge delays at JFK. Of course nobody can predict that now, but even a 2h departure delay is probably fine as the flight can make up some time in the air.

Ok sounds like I won't have much to worry about thanks for the reply.

nishimark Sep 13, 2019 1:44 am

On the Osaka side, since it's a domestic flight, you won't need to get to the airport more than 1 hour before departure. The check-in and security processes are very efficient.

beep88 Sep 13, 2019 11:45 am

Originally Posted by Commie (Post 31512734)
I have a flight out of NRT at 6:30pm on an Air Canada flight to Vancouver. I will be in Osaka that day, and there is an ANA flight that gets me from Osaka to NRT at 3:30pm.

Check in at "international connection" counters at ITM airport in Osaka. Upon arrival, follow sign for international connection. This is a fast track. You go through immigration. I have never spent more than 10 minutes between ANA domestic arrival and international departure hall at NRT.

Published Minimum Connection Time is 45 minutes. https://www.ana.co.jp/en/ca/servicei...n/checkin.html

MSPeconomist Sep 13, 2019 11:50 am

Would it make sense for the OP to take the train from Osaka to Tokyo? That would be a way for the OP to allow a bit more time yet not spend the whole day at NRT. If OP's hotel is close to the train station in Osaka or is one that offers a free shuttle service for guests, it could be very efficient to use the train.

beep88 Sep 13, 2019 1:06 pm

I wouldn't. Lugging the bags through at least 1 transfer, and costs more than the flight at foreigner price.

blitzen Sep 13, 2019 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by beep88 (Post 31521749)
Check in at "international connection" counters at ITM airport in Osaka. Upon arrival, follow sign for international connection. This is a fast track. You go through immigration. I have never spent more than 10 minutes between ANA domestic arrival and international departure hall at NRT.

Published Minimum Connection Time is 45 minutes. https://www.ana.co.jp/en/ca/servicei...n/checkin.html

Good to know. I will do ITM-NRT-JFK (all ANA domestic economy and international first) with 70 minutes connection time so I should be good.
at ITM how much time should I reserve for checking in, security etc before the flight? The airport looks pretty empty after security (aka nothing to do)

nishimark Sep 13, 2019 5:42 pm

Max time needed at ITM before take-off is 1 hour. Locals often shave it down to 30 minutes, but maybe that's a bit too tight. From check-in counter to gate usually takes about 10 minutes. It's a small airport.

bpe Sep 13, 2019 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by blitzen (Post 31522131)
Good to know. I will do ITM-NRT-JFK (all ANA domestic economy and international first) with 70 minutes connection time so I should be good.
at ITM how much time should I reserve for checking in, security etc before the flight? The airport looks pretty empty after security (aka nothing to do)

I allow 45 minutes, maybe a bit more if it's a busy travel time or checking bags, and I haven't had problems. The monorail is frequent but if you're taking a bus some can be infrequent and slowed down by traffic.

The airport is fairly sparse after security but still pleasant to spend time in. There are food options, souvenir shops, mini convenience store-like shops all at close to street pricing, and plenty of seating. If you have time before going through security the new observation deck is very nice.

ksandness Sep 14, 2019 9:51 am

Weather shouldn't be an issue in January, especially between Osaka and Tokyo. That time of year is chilly but usually dry and clear, with daytime highs above freezing.

It's quite different from, say, flying from Minneapolis to Chicago in January. ;)

aresef Sep 17, 2019 3:16 pm

Three hours is plenty. You walk out of customs, look to your right and recheck is basically right there, memory serves. The domestic checkpoint is on that arrivals floor, follow what the signs say. However, unless something's changed in the last few years, there's not much going on airside, at least in T1 domestic. It's basically just a room with a small shop and such. Burn an hour in the airport mall or something, unless you're super out of it from your flight.