Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Where to stay in Tokyo

Where to stay in Tokyo

Old Sep 6, 19, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, MM
Where to stay in Tokyo

we are taking our adult daughter to Tokyo for 4 days. We have been there many times and stay at the Tokyo Hilton. The prices are ridiculously high for our dates. Any suggestions for centrally located reasonably priced hotels? She owns 2 Japanese restaurants in Minneapolis and is particularly interested in street foods.
Old Sep 6, 19, 4:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
When I think of street food in Tokyo, I think of yakatori under the tracks near Ginza and Tokyo Station (plus the stalls in Tokyo Station) and the good department store basement food halls such as Mitsushima's (spelling?) flagship store in Ginza, but this is an expensive area in general. IIRC there's a Courtyard by Marriott and Hyatt Centric nearby in Ginza.

Another place is near the huge Shibuya (?) station, where there are some local food alleys. There's a Hyatt Regency a within walking distance which tends to be cheap plus a Washington Hotel (local chain, with limited service and small rooms) and some other choices.

Expect prices to be high for cherry blossom time and around the Olympics.

BTW, has she experienced KansaI (spelling?) food from Osaka/Kyoto/Kobe? It's different, including even the way tempura is done (much lighter oil), and of course the luxury multicourse seasonal meals are special. How about a Ryoken experience outside of the city (generally not cheap either)?
Old Sep 6, 19, 4:55 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Kansai. Or sometimes Kinki.
Old Sep 6, 19, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

When are you going?

Some reasonable hotels

New Otani ( beautiful gardens and very good hotel)
The Prince Sakura tower in Shinagawa ( very nice gardens) with other Prince hotels close by and close to Shinagawa station for good transport links

Marriott Courtyards near tokyo station and ginza

Hilton Tokyo Odaiba across in Odaiba can be cheaper but transit can take a little while

Further out there is Hilton Tokyo Bay ( ideal for disney but less ideal for tokyo sightseeing)

Regards

TBS
Old Sep 6, 19, 7:54 pm

https://www.tokyozebra.com/maps

take a peek here, some ideas about street food/hotspots around tokyo, especially the not-as-touristy areas
Old Sep 6, 19, 8:26 pm

+paperwastage's rec for tokyozebra/Paolo from Tokyo - His favorite street foods https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX9N...JoKP3&index=10

She might enjoy a food tour
- street food https://www.magical-trip.com/product...b-d2ebc24e6087
- bars https://www.magical-trip.com/product...2-e5e9ae25a8f6

"Second Best Melon Pan" melon pan ice cream sandwich is a bit unique https://youtu.be/ed6IrqGEIDk?t=615

One of the current food trends seems to be bubble tea (finally made it as a fad to Japan)?
Old Sep 6, 19, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, MM
Thanks for the great info. Her chef is putting together an itinerary for us, as we have never focused on food before. He sent us to a great tempora place in Nagano (sp) last time we were there. Aside from food, we want to show her the basics. This is her first time in Japan. Her restaurants focus on Japanese comfort food, so your suggestions are perfect. Btw, People magazine named their Japanese hotdogs one of the best hotdogs in the Nation.
Old Sep 6, 19, 9:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by FC flyer View Post
Thanks for the great info. Her chef is putting together an itinerary for us, as we have never focused on food before. He sent us to a great tempora place in Nagano (sp) last time we were there. Aside from food, we want to show her the basics. This is her first time in Japan. Her restaurants focus on Japanese comfort food, so your suggestions are perfect. Btw, People magazine named their Japanese hotdogs one of the best hotdogs in the Nation.
It's expensive, but my favorite tempura joint is the Ten-Ichi place in the basement of the Imperial Hotel (Hibuya/Ginza/Imperial Palace/Tokyo Station area), preferably sitting at the counter to see the food and talk to the chefs (who seem to speak some English and are very willing to try). You see all the fresh food and can decide what fish, veggies, etc. you want, a la carte where you pay by the piece.
Old Sep 6, 19, 9:55 pm

Programs: United, Hilton
Originally Posted by FC flyer View Post
we are taking our adult daughter to Tokyo for 4 days. We have been there many times and stay at the Tokyo Hilton. The prices are ridiculously high for our dates. Any suggestions for centrally located reasonably priced hotels? She owns 2 Japanese restaurants in Minneapolis and is particularly interested in street foods.
I may have a different perspective on this than many others, but I don't think much of street food in Jpn including such places as Asakusa's Nakamisedori or Kyoto's Nishiki market (street foods during matsuris are the worst). I think your daughter might get a lot more inspiration from browsing Tokyo Station's ekinaka (Gransta) and depachika (Daimaru's depachika).
LapLap, muji and Kannai like this.
Old Sep 6, 19, 10:59 pm

People see that Tokyo is in Japan, Japan is in Asia, so therefore there must be street food like Bangkok. There isn't. What there is is pretty mediocre, for the most part. So I really wouldn't trust a food tour that focused on "street food" - there's so much better to be found indoors.

I'm trying but failing to imagine what "Japanese hotdogs" are. Like what you get at Doutor?
Old Sep 6, 19, 11:41 pm

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by lobsterdog View Post
I'm trying but failing to imagine what "Japanese hotdogs" are. Like what you get at Doutor?
Agreed. Can you send us some kind of link? The best Japanese hotdog I've eaten is at Costco in Kobe.
Old Sep 7, 19, 12:58 am

Programs: United, Hilton
Even though I go to Jpn all the time, I first learned about Japanese-style hotdogs in Canada when I started flying out of YVR (Vancouver Airport). There's often a food stand outside the terminal selling Japanese-style hotdogs featuring Japanese things thrown on top of the sausage (daikon oroshi, katsuobushi, etc). It's supposed to be popular. Later I learned that it's actually a Vancouver thing.
Old Sep 7, 19, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’ll add my 2 yen here.

Streetfood.
Although this conjures up the idea of Matsuri food (yakisoba, grilled squid on a stick, grilled sweetcorn on a stick, cucumber with moromi miso, yep, on a stick)
And rail station Yatai (food carts) with salty ramen, oden, grilled mochi, yakionigiri (grilled and seasoned rice patties), Takoyaki
The reality is that, in Tokyo at least, food trucks are the big new thing.

Sure, there are the under-the-railway-hole-in-the-wall yakitori and ramen joints that cater to the evening drinkers and diners, but, actually, the main market for “street food” are the lunch time crowds. In office areas, tables are temporarily dragged out to line the streets and local restaurants provide their “to go” range as bento meals with a cashier stationed next to them to collect the money. Food trucks make rotations in these areas to add variety (although some are more permanent).

Personally, I believe that there’s a uniquely Japanese “street food” tradition that is overlooked as it doesn’t fit in to preconceptions of what Asian streetfood is - and that’s the food that was popularised at neighbourhood dagashi ya. Dagashi ya (cheap candy and treat shops) are still around but very few still offer food, and the representative example of this kind of food for Tokyo is Monjayaki. I would recommend Kaeruhonpo Dagashi Ya but I do not know if it is still in business.
Monjayaki is available elsewhere though. It’s what people with limited funds ate as a way to fill their bellies and entertain their senses, so very popular with kids 80 years ago.
Tokyo had a tradition of shops and food establishments being part of the owners’ actual homes, perhaps that’s one of the reasons that street food didn’t initially take off in Japan as it did elsewhere.
With one coin (500yen) lunches and meals being part of the dining culture, the appeal of a streetcart without running water or refrigeration is limited.

ETA; couldn’t find anything in English to show the scenes I think of that portray current street food as I understand it in Tokyo, but this article does sum up the exact equivalent of what I have in mind down in Naha (Okinawa). It could just as well be a corner in Kanto to be honest (only the prices are/were a little lower).
http://www.japanupdate.com/2015/08/b...fe-on-okinawa/
Also, even this kind of street food business is difficult to keep up as viable nowadays
https://www.asiaone.com/asia/japans-...ory-challenges

Last edited by LapLap; Sep 7, 19 at 7:29 am
Old Sep 7, 19, 3:38 pm

Programs: American Airlines ExecPlat, Asiana Diamond, Delta Platinum
I recently stayed at the Royal Park Hotel Shidome and found it very good and not too expensive, especially using Chase points. Bonus is there is a 24-hour Family Mart downstairs and access to multiple subway lines, all covered. Thatís always a requirement for my Tokyo hotels: they have to be attached to the subway for ease of getting around, especially in the rain.
Old Sep 14, 19, 11:02 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime PE, AC Altitude SE100K-1MM
Originally Posted by evergrn View Post
Even though I go to Jpn all the time, I first learned about Japanese-style hotdogs in Canada when I started flying out of YVR (Vancouver Airport). There's often a food stand outside the terminal selling Japanese-style hotdogs featuring Japanese things thrown on top of the sausage (daikon oroshi, katsuobushi, etc). It's supposed to be popular. Later I learned that it's actually a Vancouver thing.
I think you're referring to Japadog! For those interested, their menu is JAPADOG - Menu
Granted, I've not seen anything similar in Japan. But then again, that's not my focus as I try to eat my way through Japan!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: