Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Where to stay in Tokyo

Where to stay in Tokyo

Old Sep 14, 19, 11:25 am
formerly AtomicLush

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Spire; AA Gold and free agent (DH = AA EXP)
I just compiled a list of affordable hotels in Tokyo for my parents that seemed safe and wasn’t super tiny. Here are some of them (all within a few minutes walk of a train or subway stop).

Akasaka Excel Hotel Tokyu
Ginza Capital Hotel Moegi
Hotel Sunroute Ginza
Centurion Hotel Ikebukuro
Old Sep 14, 19, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hotdog onigiri are a “thing” in Japan right now

Search term is
ホットドッグ おにぎり
Or
ホットドッグ お握り

Mostly for home and packed lunch consumption
Old Sep 14, 19, 3:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime PE, AC Altitude SE100K-1MM
Daiwa Roynet Nishi Shinjuku hotel

I recently stayed at the Daiwa Roynet NIshi Shinjuku hotel for one night before moving to the Hilton Shinjuku. The rates for the Hilton were particularly high (~$400 USD) for one of the nights I needed to stay, so I looked around the vicinity and found this new hotel - opened this past spring 2019 - for around $200 USD. I thought I'd try it out.

It was a long block away from the Hilton, but despite the August heat, it was still walkable. Super friendly staff; decent size rooms and amenities for a Japanese chain. And the AC was definitely adequate. Breakfast was included in my rate and it was decent (granted, it was not like the breakfast buffet at the Hilton!).

I would personally stay there again.
https://daiwa-roynet-nishi-shinjuku....hotels.com/en/
muji likes this.
Old Sep 28, 19, 12:48 am

Programs: United, Hilton
Originally Posted by SteadyAT View Post
Granted, I've not seen anything similar in Japan.
Me neither!
Old Oct 3, 19, 2:12 am

Programs: UA 1K
A friend funs a blog Nishiogiology focused on small shops in a small neighborhood in Tokyo. Surely there are other similar overviews of neighborhoods. I love the neighborhood called Noge in Yokohama (near JR Sakuragicho Station), which has a lot of drinking establishments, some with great food. It's a very lively neighborhood on warm nights and can be cozy inside tiny little places on cold nights. ... In all cases, bear in mind that most neighborhoods have a closed day ("teikyubi" = set rest day) or days when many shops are closed. In Noge it's Sunday and Tuesday, depending on the place. Worth confirming out if your itinerary has exploration of a specific neighborhood on a specific day. (I've never heard of Friday or Saturday being a closed day, for what it's worth.)
Old Oct 3, 19, 2:58 am

Programs: UA plat, spg plat, aa plat, marriott plat
A really good area for "street food" is the outer market of the old Tsukiji fish market. Starts really early and is pretty much done by 2 pm A really interesting place to walk around and sample food (although there are now a few more touristy places still most of them are real old style). If you're interested there are some youtube videos showing the kind of food available. Something you may already know, but it is considered rude to walk and eat so even these little stands have a small area where you are supposed to stand and eat your food, not walk around with it.

Originally Posted by FC flyer View Post
we are taking our adult daughter to Tokyo for 4 days. We have been there many times and stay at the Tokyo Hilton. The prices are ridiculously high for our dates. Any suggestions for centrally located reasonably priced hotels? She owns 2 Japanese restaurants in Minneapolis and is particularly interested in street foods.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: