5 nights in Tokyo, 5 nights in Osaka, where should we stay the last 3 nights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

5 nights in Tokyo, 5 nights in Osaka, where should we stay the last 3 nights

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2019, 7:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There's also Osaka castle.

I would argue for at least a late evening in Kyoto. It's interesting to walk along the river and especially in the famous geisha neighborhood in early evening. Kyoto also deserves more than one day.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

I would argue for at least a late evening in Kyoto. It's interesting to walk along the river and especially in the famous geisha neighborhood in early evening. Kyoto also deserves more than one day.
I’m all in on this, since we will be in Osaka a total of 6 nights I assume we will figure out something to do in the morning, get to Kyoto at least twice then stay late to have dinner and walk around.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
The advantage of Himeji Castle versus Osaka Castle is that Himeji is an actual feudal-era castle that was used and occupied by samurai lords. Osaka Castle is a modern ferro-concrete reproduction with electricity, elevators and such. Still good for photos but not actually real.
ksandness, jib71 and TWA884 like this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

Himeji castle is the original, Osaka castle is a modern day reconstruction. To me this makes the former more meaningful to visit.

Depending on your appetite for long days and if the tide tables work out, Miyajima is a pretty great day trip. And get Hiroshima-style okonomiyaki at the station before heading back!

I also enjoyed Okayama and Kurashiki.
TWA884 and BeachRat like this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 9:01 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It may not fit into the OP's plans, but I enjoyed a day trip to Nara to see the shrines and the cute little deer (but be prepared for some to be aggressive with you about food and other items, almost like the monkeys in some places like Bali).
Old Sep 7, 2019, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Nara is on our day trip list.
I messed up a bit the Conrad is now not available for a Standard award for 4/19.
As I mentioned I would like to use our resort credit so Odawara is our only choice except for the Disney hotel. I could use the free weekend Sunday then the resort credit Monday before working our way to the NRT Hilton Tuesday.
It looks like there are some nice places to visit around there,
I see there are some negative reviews on the property but if we just plan use the Hilton as a base is it really that bad, it won’t cost us anything.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 11:37 am

Be aware that the NRT airport hotels tend to have infrequent shuttle service to/from the terminals. For example a large hotel at NRT (not walkable to either terminal) might have a shuttle every hour during most of the day but with a gap around lunchtime.
LapLap likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
The advantage of Himeji Castle versus Osaka Castle is that Himeji is an actual feudal-era castle that was used and occupied by samurai lords. Osaka Castle is a modern ferro-concrete reproduction with electricity, elevators and such. Still good for photos but not actually real.
And the walk to the castle from Himeji Station is something rare for Japan, a tree-lined street.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

After our 5 nights in Tokyo we have decided to stay at the Kaname Inn Tatemachi in Kanazawa for one night then on to Osaka for 5 nights. My wife would like the experience of a traditional Onsen, she has read up a bit and would like to find a coed one with several types of baths. My guess is we will probably only do this once so would like to find someplace that will kind of wow us. Should we look for one in Kanazawa or wait until we get to Osaka?
Old Sep 17, 2019, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by kmandrew
4/20 I also forgot I have an AX $250 resort credit so thinking Odawara for a base to visit Hakone
Hilton Odawara is not located at a convenient location to be used as a base to visit Hakone. Hilton Odawara is located 8.8 km (5.5 miles) from center of Odawara not in the same direction as tourist area of Hakone. To access tourist area of Hakone from Hilton Odawara, has to first get to the center of Odawara from the hotel then head to the tourist area of Hakone. 5.5 miles may not sounds a lot but Hakone area is hilly mountainous area with typical Japanese narrow roads, it takes a lot longer to get to places than you think.

If you want to tour Hakone area then I recommend forget about Hilton Odawara and find a lodging (there are both traditional Japanese onsen inn and western type hotels) in tourist area of Hakone then explore Hokone area.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Hilton Odawara is not located at a convenient location to be used as a base to visit Hakone. Hilton Odawara is located 8.8 km (5.5 miles) from center of Odawara not in the same direction as tourist area of Hakone. To access tourist area of Hakone from Hilton Odawara, has to first get to the center of Odawara from the hotel then head to the tourist area of Hakone. 5.5 miles may not sounds a lot but Hakone area is hilly mountainous area with typical Japanese narrow roads, it takes a lot longer to get to places than you think.

If you want to tour Hakone area then I recommend forget about Hilton Odawara and find a lodging (there are both traditional Japanese onsen inn and western type hotels) in tourist area of Hakone then explore Hokone area.
Thanks
I kind of had heard, now I think I’ll just use my free weekend for a 6th night at the Hilton Osaka, I’ll try to get in the Conrad for a free night if it opens up. I had a couple members PM me on suggestions to use the resort credit - thanks for that. This will leave us free on April 20 - I’ll keep listening to you guys; all we have to do on 4/21 is get to the Narita Hilton - we can get there late. The JR calculator is well over 46k so probably do that.
Thinking so far
4/8-4/13 Tokyo Hilton
Nikko
Takayama
Hakone
4/13 Kanazawa - Ryokan
4/14-420 Hilton Osaka
Kyoto 2 trips
Nara
Kurashiki ?
4/20 we are undecided
4/21 Narita hotel
4/22 home
Old Sep 17, 2019, 5:59 pm

My wife would like the experience of a traditional Onsen, she has read up a bit and would like to find a coed one with several types of baths. My guess is we will probably only do this once so would like to find someplace that will kind of wow us. Should we look for one in Kanazawa or wait until we get to Osaka?
This is a mostly either a coed one or several types of baths. Most onsen aren't coed unless they're private - either bookable or in-room. Those which are private are usually a little more limited in size, quantity, and variety. Osaka & Kanazawa aren't really famous onsen regions. Hakone is and there's definitely "wow" ryokans with private bookable/in-room onsens there which could match the criteria if you're willing to pay for the premium of being closer to Tokyo.

ETA: If your wife is willing to go with more theme park type of experience, Solaniwa recently opened in Osaka https://www.solaniwa.com/en-us/news/beginner/ which has a coed rooftop foot bath and private bookable family baths (additional fee). It's a day onsen spot. I wouldn't say it is a luxury type of wow but it is newer than some similar types of onsen theme parks (Oedo Onsen in Odaiba Tokyo) and doesn't require an overnight stay. Plus there's things you can do if she decides to go to the female onsen side for a while.

Last edited by freecia; Sep 17, 2019 at 6:15 pm
Old Sep 17, 2019, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Would Kasatsu work for April 20?
Looks like transportation from Osaka isn’t too bad, genuine Onsen experience, then over to Narita that night?
Old Sep 17, 2019, 9:40 pm

Would Kasatsu work for April 20?
Looks like transportation from Osaka isn’t too bad, genuine Onsen experience, then over to Narita that night?
Do you mean Kusatsu? I happen to like these modern sister ryokans a bit outside Kusatsu**. They share an onsen complex and also have private first-come first-serve onsen.
https://www.hotespa.net/hotels/konoha/
https://www.hotespa.net/hotels/tokinoniwa/rooms/ Offers private in-room open air onsen (with hot spring water, which not all ryokan with a nice "in-room" bath do, so good to confirm)

If you mean for a day visit, then going so far out of your way isn't ideal. Kusatsu isn't near a train station and requires a bus ride https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e7403.html

There's a few onsen in Narita for both day visits https://hubjapan.io/articles/5-best-...re-your-flight or overnights https://matcha-jp.com/en/6869. Do look to see if they offer family baths if you want something coed.

Kinosaki Onsen is about 2.5 hours from Osaka and two of the public onsen offer a family bath options https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3527.html If you are looking for wow factor an overnight ryokan stay would be more ideal.

** ETA: My preference is for slightly smaller ryokan done in a modern style with non-smoking rooms and private or bookable private onsen. I went to the less expensive Konoha which offers a buffet for dinner. Your preferences may vary

Last edited by freecia; Sep 17, 2019 at 9:57 pm
Old Sep 18, 2019, 6:56 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
4/13 train to Kanazawa - we booked a ryokan that looks very nice.
...we have decided to stay at the Kaneme Inn Tatemachi in Kanazawa for one night...
4/13 Kanazawa - Ryokan
I hope you are aware but Kaname Inn Tatemachi in Kanazawa is Western style hotel where rooms have beds, chairs, and desks. Kaname Inn Tatemachi in Kanazawa is not a ryokan as in what Japanese consider as ryokan which rooms are Japanese tatami sleep on a floor with mattress with small hard pillow.

For authentic onsen experience I think Kanazawa is easier than Osaka. Onsen is natural hot spring, not just hot water tubs, and there is no Onsen in city center of Kanazawa but there are onsen facility just 10-15 min. car ride from city center of Kanazawa. There is onsen, as in natural hot spring, in city of Osaka but that is hardly traditional onsen. Dug deep underground using modern technology till found hot water underground, For traditional onsen at Osaka you need to get out of the city for more than 15 min. Arima Onsen is one of traditional onsen near Osaka. As other have said traditional onsen is communal segregated by gender. Some onsen ryokan has private family onsen where a family with mixed gender can take a both togather, but not all onsen ryokan has such facility, it will cost more, and many require advance reservation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.