Community
Wiki Posts
Search

20h layover in KIX - September

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2019, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Smile 20h layover in KIX - September

Hi there, I will have a 20h layover in early September (Sep 8-9) coming into KIX at 6:35pm on a Sunday and leaving 3:15pm the next day (Monday) for Haneda. What are some of your best recommendations for things to do in that timespan? My ideal would be to have a great dinner, some sightseeing/nature walking and possibly some onsen time. I am also looking for hotel recommendations. Will I have enough time to venture out to Kyoto, and if so is it preferable to do that Sunday night or Monday morning?
Old Aug 8, 2019, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Welcome to flyertalk and the Japan forum petrichor5!

Can I just check that on Monday you are flying from KIX to HND and not ITM to HND?

By the time you get into central Osaka it is likely to be around 8pm ( esp if coming off an international flight) and it will be dark ( sunset being around 1830)

A nice evening activity would be to walk around the Dotonbori area by the canals with lots of restaurants, nightlife and neon. or go up one of the observation decks (they may be open to 930pm or 10pm)

Osaka Castle and the surrounding park might be worthwhile or a museum in the morning before heading back to the airport.

It is about 15mins ( by Shinkansen) or 30-45mins from Osaka to kyoto depending on the train so for just a few hours it would probably not be worthwhile.

In osaka i stayed at the Conrad ( there is a hilton nearby also) but most of the major chains have a hotel there ( Hyatt is less centrally located)

Regards

TBS
Old Aug 8, 2019, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Hello, and thank you for your reply The_Banking_Scot!
Yes, I will be flying LAX -> KIX, then KIX -> HND.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Thanks for that. I took a bus from the Herbis ( close to the Hilton) and it took about 1 hour to KIX at noon so you will probably have to leave around 1230-1pm at the latesr ( check minimum check in time for domestic flights( might be longer with luggage)

You can also take trains from Osaka to KIX, some details here

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2033.html

Regards

TBS
Old Aug 8, 2019, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
If you stay at a hotel in central area of Osaka then likely it will be after 8 p.m. on Sunday by the time you check-in and in your hotel room. It will be late dinner for you on Sunday night. Nice dinner on Sunday night is possible but if there is any delay along the way then will be nice to have a Plan B for Sunday dinner.

You will not have time for Kyoto on Monday. All practical purpose better to plan to do one thing on Monday morning and head to KIX for your flight. Traditional onsen is out of the city which you will not have time but in the city there are Onsen complex. Real nature walk will also involve getting gout of the city which you will not have time, as mentioned by other poster walking around Osaka Castle Park is nice. But try to do two or more things on Monday morning before heading to KIX will be too much of rush and ended up not spending much time at each stuff.

What kind of accommodation are you looking at? Osaka has from high end to economical. Are you looking for economical because it is just one night stay during transit, or are you looking for nice western style hotel?
Old Aug 8, 2019, 2:31 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think Osaka castle itself is worth a visit, it's a concrete structure with little charm.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 2:44 pm

It's too bad your flight doesn't arrive a few hours earlier. Have you been to Japan before? Feel comfortable riding trains in foreign countries?
I'd probably take the train straight to Namba, walk around Dotonburi until you're too tired, sleep at hotel, wake up, eat a nice lunch and head back to the airport from Namba.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 5:27 pm

Programs: Delta
Agree with above that you won't have time to do all that you're hoping to do. Here's an alternate idea. Go to Kobe. From KIX there is a high speed ferry that takes about 30 minutes.
https://www.kobe-access.jp/eng/

You could have dinner that night, then the next day enjoy a walk and ropeway ride in Nunobiki Herb Gardens, then maybe lunch in old town Kitano area or main downtown (for example). Take the high speed ferry back to KIX for a pleasant ride on the water. Here are some Kobe ideas.
https://plus.feel-kobe.jp/en/
Old Aug 8, 2019, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by nishimark
Agree with above that you won't have time to do all that you're hoping to do. Here's an alternate idea. Go to Kobe. From KIX there is a high speed ferry that takes about 30 minutes.
https://www.kobe-access.jp/eng/

You could have dinner that night, then the next day enjoy a walk and ropeway ride in Nunobiki Herb Gardens, then maybe lunch in old town Kitano area or main downtown (for example). Take the high speed ferry back to KIX for a pleasant ride on the water. Here are some Kobe ideas.
https://plus.feel-kobe.jp/en/
+1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.