Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Will visiting Japan over Labor Day (~Sep 1) be miserably hot?

Will visiting Japan over Labor Day (~Sep 1) be miserably hot?

Old Jul 25, 2019, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by Busymann
Do typhoons affect Tokyo and Osaka really bad?
I've been in some major rainstorms in Tokyo during typhoons although nothing ever catastrophic. Mind you I live in US now and I've only been there in Sept-Oct 1x or 2x over the past several years. I have family members living in various suburbs of Tokyo, and they've never experienced anything catastrophic. I don't know if it's due to Tokyo's geographical position or the fact that Tokyo area has invested heavily in floodwater management system. I don't know about Osaka too well, but remember that KIX got shut down and the KIX bridge got damaged and cars were getting flipped over during a typhoon last summer.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by TA
Labor Day weekend ... will the weather, temp, humidity all over Japan be unbearably hot and unpleasant around that time?
It will depend on the temperature.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 5:05 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by Steve M
It will depend on the temperature.
Temperature alone does not determine whether it's unpleasantly hot.
LapLap likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 6:31 pm
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by jib71
Temperature alone does not determine whether it's unpleasantly hot.
This! x 1000.

We only have temps of 32, 33 today but with humidity throughout the day at 90% I would call it HAF.
Admiral Ackbar likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 7:46 pm

I lived in PHX where the temp could get up to 110F but with 25% humidity I would’nt sweat much and it wasn’t horrible being outside. In Tokyo 33C w 85% hum feels unbearable just after 3min outside, worse than PHX. It’s not even just the numbers. I’ve been in Singapore in pretty high temp high humid situations but it somehow felt more tolerable than Tokyo.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 11:27 pm
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by evergrn
I lived in PHX where the temp could get up to 110F but with 25% humidity I would’nt sweat much and it wasn’t horrible being outside. In Tokyo 33C w 85% hum feels unbearable just after 3min outside, worse than PHX. It’s not even just the numbers. I’ve been in Singapore in pretty high temp high humid situations but it somehow felt more tolerable than Tokyo.
We unfortunately have what is called the heat island effect with temps ramped up by the concrete and volume of buildings. Easily solved by adding greenery atop and around buildings but most places do not have this hence the feeling of intense heat vs say SIN or IAH even.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by mjm
We unfortunately have what is called the heat island effect with temps ramped up by the concrete and volume of buildings. Easily solved by adding greenery atop and around buildings but most places do not have this hence the feeling of intense heat vs say SIN or IAH even.
Ok that would explain why the heat feels milder at Musashi Kosugi (lots of greenery mixed in with buildings) when it's intolerably hot in Jiyugaoka a couple stations over.
mjm likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.