Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Japanese interpreter needed.

Old Jul 14, 19, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Platinum--Marriott-Platinum Elite-AA-Delta SM-Chase UR, JP Morgan Ritz Carlton

The elderly father of an acquaintance of mine has a letter hand written in Japanese. We have a shortage of Japanese interpreters here so I told her I might be able to find someone who could take on the task or make a suggestion. Any thoughts?
Old Jul 14, 19, 10:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Try contacting the Asian Studies or East Asian Languages department of any nearby university (or perhaps even small college in a few cases) to ask for a recommendation. Graduate students are usually eager to earn a little extra money. Depending on the length of the letter and the lack of need for a formal written translation--i.e., if you just want to know what the letter says--an interested faculty member might be willing to meet with you over coffee, etc.
Old Jul 15, 19, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Platinum--Marriott-Platinum Elite-AA-Delta SM-Chase UR, JP Morgan Ritz Carlton
I will pass that along, thanks!
Old Jul 15, 19, 4:07 pm

Programs: HH, BD
If your friend can scan the handwritten Japanese letter, you could put the job out to a freelancer online:
https://www.peopleperhour.com
https://www.fiverr.com

I would favor a native-Japanese speaker for this job, since they're more likely to be up to the challenge of dealing with handwriting and it's not a big deal if the quality of the English output isn't native level - as long as your friend's father can understand it.

(If you were translating marketing copy for publication, you'd either go for a native English speaker or pair your translator up with a great English-language copywriter ... or do neither and produce some hilarious Japlish like many Japanese companies do).
joejones and ksandness like this.
Old Jul 16, 19, 5:33 am

Programs: Delta
How long is the letter?
Old Jul 16, 19, 9:00 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton-Dia, Marriott-G
If you need a rough translation, perhaps you could just Google Translate it using app. App allows you to take a photo of text and if the text is reasonably legible, you might get good results.
Old Jul 16, 19, 9:45 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Dia, Radisson Gold, Hertz 5*
Agree with jib's comments above. You want a translator, not an interpreter. Interpreters handle speech -- they are the people wearing headsets at the UN or standing over the President's shoulder at summits. Translators handle written language. Many people who translate well can't interpret well, and vice versa.
Old Jul 17, 19, 7:43 am

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by tide View Post
If you need a rough translation, perhaps you could just Google Translate it using app. App allows you to take a photo of text and if the text is reasonably legible, you might get good results.
Ah, but not all handwritten Japanese is "reasonably legible." I agree with the suggestion to find a translator (thanks, Joe Jones!) who is a native speaker of Japanese, particularly one who has some experience with calligraphy, if the handwriting is semi-cursive.

Don't expect the person to do it for free, either.
jib71 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 19, 8:19 am

Programs: HH, BD
Originally Posted by ksandness View Post
if the handwriting is semi-cursive.
When confronted with semi-cursive, I only curse half of the time.
Old Jul 17, 19, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by nishimark View Post
How long is the letter?
That's a good question.

I could possibly help if it's not lengthy, but I am unsure if the OP is coming back to check replies.
nishimark likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: