Cafes in Tokyo

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cafes in Tokyo

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2019, 4:59 pm

Programs: Delta
[QUOTE=freecia;31278841]I thought you were poking fun at Saitama but these look really good.

Yeah, what started off as a tongue in cheek response surprised me as well.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 10:23 pm

Programs: UA MM *G, NH Plat/SFC, HH Diamond, GE
Three of my favorite local (Ebisu/Shibuya/Omotesando) cafe / coffee shops.

Nishiya https://tabelog.com/en/tokyo/A1303/A130301/13160517/
Sarutahiko https://tabelog.com/en/tokyo/A1303/A130302/13127577/
Tsuta https://tabelog.com/en/tokyo/A1306/A130602/13007497/
freecia and HawaiiO like this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 9:47 am

Programs: UA, NW
[QUOTE= On the other hand, drip coffees and iced coffees I find to be pretty high-quality most everywhere including konbinis and Doutor's.[/QUOTE]

Yes, Japan has had high-quality coffee for a long time. When I came back to the States from Japan after living there in the 1970s, I realized how bad (weak and acidic) most commercial grades of American coffee were at the time. I was delighted to find coffee specialty shops like Starbucks and Peet's when I moved to the West Coast a few years later.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:58 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond
This has certainly focused on the coffee places.

I would wholeheartedly agree with the recommendation for Turret coffee in Tsukiji area. They intermittently have a pop up shop in the Ginza area as well.

In the Shibuya area there is Chatei Hatou where they are very serious about pour overs. They will even do a pour over equivalent of espresso but it'll take 10-15 minutes. They do allow smoking in there as well.

The folks who used to do Omotesando Koffee have a newer place open, Koffee Mameya, but it is not a sit around with coffee sort of place. I think they are more geared to selling beans
freecia and HawaiiO like this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Paging Q Shoe Guy!
LapLap and weegiewife like this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 5:54 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's an old-fashioned two story coffee house place adjacent to (and even sort of part of) Piss Alley, right next to Shinjuku station I forgot the name of the place but it would definitely meet the requirement.

Exit JR Shinjuku station from the west exit, go upstairs to street level and turn right upon exit. Walk about 200m and turn right at a sidewalk just past Uniqlo. You'll see the place on the left in about 20m.
HawaiiO likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 11:39 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
There's an old-fashioned two story coffee house place adjacent to (and even sort of part of) Piss Alley, right next to Shinjuku station I forgot the name of the place but it would definitely meet the requirement.
It sounds like Tajimaya Coffee-ten (但馬屋珈琲店). It has a few outlets in Shinjuku and Kichijōji.
Attached Images  
RichardInSF likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: E35K, FPC Platinum
There are hidden gem coffee shops in Nakameguro- such a lovely neighbourhood. you'll find great coffee, great walking, and neat stores.
% coffee i've been seeing more of, but if I recall, more so out of Tokyo.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pickles
Paging Q Shoe Guy!
That is like stirring the dead !
Old Jul 15, 2019, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I went to a new place beside the IVY Hall in Minami Aoyama . Seemed like all the other "speciality" places, (concrete, wood, glass) interior. Coffee focused on getting you spend for super premium brands (Panama Geisha, ) some super Brazil beans etc. Most who seem to pop in are Ao-Uni students buying the cup of Joe or on tap nitro-brew thing ! I was surprised not to see some tapioca coffee jelly drink. It was OK until I found out that the owner of the soon to be chain is Maruhan of pachinko fame !
Old Jul 15, 2019, 7:30 am

I went to a place called Cafe Obscura or Oscura or something in Sangenchaya.
I've had outstanding espresso drink elsewhere in Sangenjaya (can't remember where), but it wasn't this place.
This place is rated highly, that's why I decide to check it out. They have a lady sitting facing customers making coffee like it's science experiment by brewing coffee in round flasks. They roast their own coffee, and it's clear they take their coffee very seriously here. The coffee was a bit on the bitter/sour side for me, though. If you like bitter coffee, you might like this place.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
That is like stirring the dead !
Good coffee will do that to ya!
LapLap and rustykettel like this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 9:49 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Cafe de L’Ambre in Ginza. Might be the best coffee in Japan. Hole in the wall. 70 years old. Expensive. Low key. Used to be a bit of a literary hang out. They roast on site so you can get a coffee high just walking by.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 5khours
Cafe de L’Ambre in Ginza. Might be the best coffee in Japan. Hole in the wall. 70 years old. Expensive. Low key. Used to be a bit of a literary hang out. They roast on site so you can get a coffee high just walking by.
I love the sign outside that says "We only sell coffee". No pastries, no food, no shenanigan drinks, no "third space", no wi-fi.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by Pickles
I love the sign outside that says "We only sell coffee". No pastries, no food, no shenanigan drinks, no "third space", no wi-fi.
Yeah. It’s a cool place. I discovered it by accident, but I gather it’s got a bit of a reputation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.