Wiki Posts
Search

Overhead structures along side walks in downtown Gifu

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2019, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Overhead structures along side walks in downtown Gifu

I am curious, what are these structures for? Seem capable of supporting some heavy loads. Along major roads, both sides, and they go on for many blocks. Seems overkill as structures for street lights.

Google maps: https://goo.gl/maps/VADQUctTuZkpJtxc9

Old Jun 25, 2019, 11:30 pm

Programs: LH M+M
Just a wild guess.. protect pedestrians from falling debris while earthquakes?
Old Jun 25, 2019, 11:45 pm

Carry utilities, and provide more support for them in case of an earthquake? Perhaps a sort of fire escape from adjoining buildings, as well.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 12:51 am

Programs: UA MM *G, NH Plat/SFC, HH Diamond, GE
I think they're to help prevent snow from clogging the sidewalks in shopping districts and near transport hubs like train stations. You'll see them all over Japan, in places where they get heavy snowfall and can't keep up with snow removal.
PAX_fips, abmj-jr and ksandness like this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 7:56 am

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by groovbusta
I think they're to help prevent snow from clogging the sidewalks in shopping districts and near transport hubs like train stations. You'll see them all over Japan, in places where they get heavy snowfall and can't keep up with snow removal.
Yes, that's exactly where you see these structures. Parts of Japan receive incredible amounts of snow, especially in the mountains and on the Japan Sea side of the country.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 9:46 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

I'm not sure it's a snow thing. These covered shopping arcades are all over Japan, (I'm guessing) put up by shopkeepers banding together in an effort to improve shoppers experience.

These can be an eerie sight in dying towns in rural Japan -- I walked through the shopping arcades in Omuta and Ube on a recent trip -- blocks and blocks of covered streets, but barely a shop remains. (For more information about the "shopping arcades of a thousand bankruptcies," see this great blog post about the economic devastation in depopulating and aging cities)
nishimark and muji like this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by groovbusta
Makes sense. But not found in Sapporo, supposedly one of the snowiest cities in the world.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA MM *G, NH Plat/SFC, HH Diamond, GE
Originally Posted by jpdx
I'm not sure it's a snow thing. These covered shopping arcades are all over Japan, (I'm guessing) put up by shopkeepers banding together in an effort to improve shoppers experience.
Snow may not be the only reason... but I also think there's a difference between the covered sidewalks and the full on covered shopping arcades.

Originally Posted by beep88
Makes sense. But not found in Sapporo, supposedly one of the snowiest cities in the world.
True, but most of downtown Sapporo is connect via underground walkways and shopping centers. In addition, Sapporo is a large city and has the resources to deal with the snow better than a smaller city or rural area.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gifu City is spectacularly rainy, but it isn’t known for snow

https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...al-average.php

One can expect it to snow for about 13 days in a year and total average is 47cm

London is snowier:
https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...al-average.php
Old Jul 1, 2019, 12:53 am
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
These are just your typical shopping arcade / sidewalk roofs. They’re found all over Japan in various designs. As others have mentioned they’re not specifically to keep the snow off but rather to keep any sort of weather (snow, rain, sun or otherwise) off patrons. The local shopping district merchants associations traditionally clubbed together to put these up.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by armagebedar
These are just your typical shopping arcade / sidewalk roofs. They’re found all over Japan in various designs. As others have mentioned they’re not specifically to keep the snow off but rather to keep any sort of weather (snow, rain, sun or otherwise) off patrons. The local shopping district merchants associations traditionally clubbed together to put these up.
On the other hand, in typical Japanese fashion, they're probably over-engineered to within an inch of their life, designed to withstand snow, rain, typhoons, earthquakes, and cars crashing into them. Downtown Kyoto has them also, covering up otherwise some rather interesting prewar buildings.
jib71 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.