Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Tokyo 2020 Olympics discussion [consolidated]

Tokyo 2020 Olympics discussion [consolidated]

Old Sep 2, 2019, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi..

If using your backpack for the last night and day I would check to see what can be brought into the stadium as there will be restrictions on what can be brought in and probably a bag and security check prior to entering the stadium area

Regards

Tbs
Indeed. Thanks again.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 8:42 pm

For my dates (3 nights in early Aug), still finding nothing good within 90-min radius of Tokyo.
Everything is >80,000yen/night at some crappy hostel non-refundable.
No luck with cosport either.
Starting to get tired of the Olympics.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by evergrn
For my dates (3 nights in early Aug), still finding nothing good within 90-min radius of Tokyo.
Everything is >80,000yen/night at some crappy hostel non-refundable.
No luck with cosport either.
Starting to get tired of the Olympics.
Don't despair. I have high hopes for the spring resale. I think the AirBnB market is reliable and there seems to be decent deals in Shinjuku and Shibuya and other areas.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by Klarity7
Don't despair. I have high hopes for the spring resale. I think the AirBnB market is reliable and there seems to be decent deals in Shinjuku and Shibuya and other areas.
Thanks for the encouragement!
Ok yes we will see how things go in spring.
I'm just stunned by the exclusivity of the whole thing. My usual hotels have all blocked themselves out. No tix available on Cosport, and their package options were going at a rate that I'd never be able to afford. This is my first time trying to plan an Olympics trip and I guess I was naive and ignorant about how Olympics run.
I don't think I'll be up for AirBnB. I'd rather stay in a normal-price full-service hotel in Nagoya and make one or two day trips to Tokyo, or cram into my parents' place. I'm still holding out hopes that hotels start to open up as we get closer.

For our early July trip, I was able to talk a suburban hotel into setting aside a room for me at standard rate even though they too are blocking all rooms throughout July-Aug (we stay >15 nights a year there every year, so they know us well). But for our Aug Olympics trip, they will not budge.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 12:21 am

Found availability for 4 nights in early Aug at Vessel Hotels' Katsutadai location for 28,000yen/night + tax for 2 adults in their twin room, breakfast included. That is a legitimate hotel chain and located about an hour by train from Ueno. Only problem is the room is 19m2 and, while that is not bad for Jpn, I have not stayed in a room that small in many years. Anyways, this hotel wasn't available before, so I think it's worth checking all the time to see if anything comes up.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 5:54 pm

Hotel booking sites with some finds in mid $300s (USD) per night plus fee surprises

While rebooking a Delta flight due to the NRT-HND changes that just were released, I noticed the Delta partner with a site (hotels.com I believe) and it showed hotel availability at 97% booked with there were some three start hotels that seemed like legitimate deals for about $350 per night. If that is within your target rate these there seems to be some legit space still available in the Shinjuku and surrounding areas. I then went to Expedia and found the same thing with slightly lower fees. Most of the places were pretty centrally located, by Tokyo standards, and usually within 5-15 mins walk to a train station. These sites will always lop in service fees at the end but not too bad considering location and being a standard full service hotel. I also went to a few of the hotels websites and one said that Expedia would be handling their bookings for the 2020 Games, which is how I ended up there. There are not global chains of course, but worth a look if you are not interested in AirBnBs (although much of the reasonably priced AirBnB seems to have been scooped up).

The dates that that I used in my searches was July 23 to August 1st.

Hopefully that is helpful to someone.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 5:35 am

CoSport- US had a ticket release. Still some tickets available as of this morning. Some appear to be singles however
Old Oct 11, 2019, 7:25 pm

CoSport- US had a ticket release. Still some tickets available as of this morning. Some appear to be singles however
thank you so much!
very wonderful of you to share that info.
i saw your post earlier, and then got on my computer and snatched up tix for prelim basketball!
Old Oct 11, 2019, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by evergrn
thank you so much!
very wonderful of you to share that info.
i saw your post earlier, and then got on my computer and snatched up tix for prelim basketball!
Hooray! I am so happy, I was worried about ya!
Its official now!

Usually there is some lingering availability for a bit at random times! Im still searching out for a wayward Gymnastics or Karate pair of tix
freecia and evergrn like this.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 6:51 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
IOC (International Olympic Committee) said that they are concerned with climate (heat and humidity) of Tokyo in August. IOC will suggest 2020 Tokyo Olympic organizer about possibly moving marathon event from Tokyo to Sapporo. 2020 Tokyo Olympic organizer has not responded yet.
K7Beach and Takubon like this.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 6:16 am

Another Co-Sport ticket drop today at 9am ET. Not sure if it tickets and packages or packages only. CoSport email is not clear to me.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 7:34 am

Programs: W/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez
Another Co-Sport ticket drop today at 9am ET. Not sure if it tickets and packages or packages only. CoSport email is not clear to me.
I agree it was an ambiguous message. I didn't even bother since I couldn't get 2 seats together. Maybe I should try for two single seats at the next release. I think I did that for London.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 3:25 pm

U.S. CoSport site: Noticed some BEACH VOLLEYBALL tickets (not in a package) a few moments ago if anyone interested. July 29th
evergrn likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 4:32 pm

Programs: W/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez
U.S. CoSport site: Noticed some BEACH VOLLEYBALL tickets (not in a package) a few moments ago if anyone interested. July 29th
How often do you check the site? Someone should write a macro/script.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by rxgeek
How often do you check the site? Someone should write a macro/script.
About twice a day from my phone. There is a service from some guy that wrote a script that will check it and email you what is available but I have not signed up for it yet. There is a FB group
evergrn likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.