Reload this Page >

Tokyo 2020 Olympics discussion [consolidated]

Tokyo 2020 Olympics discussion [consolidated]

Old Mar 10, 2021, 1:26 pm

Duplicate
Old Mar 11, 2021, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
No, the IOC isn't in bed with China. Why do you ask?

Seriously, if the IOC thinks this will assuage the Japanese public's fears about hosting the Olympics, then they really don't know who they're dealing with...
Old Mar 12, 2021, 11:25 pm

Programs: Delta
Going to watch the torch run?

For those in Japan, do you have a plan to watch the torch run when it's in your area? It feels to me like a once in a lifetime thing, so I think I might go and take some others with me to watch.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
I will support the greater good and not be a part of a mitsu.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 9:27 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by nishimark
For those in Japan, do you have a plan to watch the torch run when it's in your area? It feels to me like a once in a lifetime thing, so I think I might go and take some others with me to watch.
I went out on the street when the torch passed my home in London in 2012. I'm glad I did so. The street was full of people and it did feel like a special moment
Old Mar 15, 2021, 12:35 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
On May 15, UK plans to allow 10,000 pre-tested soccer fans to attend the FA cup (Americans reading this can think of it as "soccerbowl") at Wembley Stadium, in an experiment to understand how to resume cultural and sporting events with live audiences. The pilot will also be extended to some indoor sports (e.g. snooker) with crowds of 2,000 people.
According to the UK's vaccination plans, more than half of the population will have had their first jab of coronavirus vaccine before then (48% by April 30th). However, since the UK vaccination program is prioritizing older and more vulnerable people, most people under 50 will not have been vaccinated by May 15th.
https://apnews.com/article/europe-sp...ec820d070356e2

Last edited by jib71; Mar 15, 2021 at 12:46 am
Old Mar 17, 2021, 2:28 am

Spectator (観戦者) and infected person (感染者) are called the same - kansensha.
YariGuy and invalyd like this.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
BBC: No foreign spectators at the Olympics

Hi,

The BBC has just put up a story that organisers have announced that no overseas fans will be permitted at the olympics and paralympics

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/56461152

( more details to follow)

Regards

TBS
Old Mar 20, 2021, 5:55 am

Programs: JAL Global Club, ANA Super Flyers
Took them long enough to finally say it, in my opinion. It seems that a majority of overseas volunteers will also be barred from attending.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...ors-meeting-2/
Old Mar 20, 2021, 6:18 am

Programs: UA 1MM Gold AA Gold NW Silver Marriott Plat. SPG Plat. Hilton Gold Hertz 5 Star
sigh

FROM CO SPORT email

We hope this message finds you well in these continuing difficult times. You may have heard reports that the Japanese Government announced it is restricting the attendance of international spectators at the Tokyo 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games.

This has been a tough year as all of us have had to manage the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic. We were hopeful Tokyo 2020 would mark a global turning point as the world gathered to celebrate the Games. Unfortunately, the Japanese Government’s decision related to spectator attendance is yet another disappointing blow, so we are reaching out now – despite the fact no detailed information related to the refund process has been shared with us– to outline what you might expect. Whatever process the Japanese organizers develop, CoSport is committed to being a strong ally in guiding you through it.

Because the Japanese Government has restricted international spectator attendance:
  • CoSport and the United States Olympic & Paralympic Committee will work diligently with the Tokyo 2020 organizers to secure your refund based on the terms and conditions of your purchase as well as the policies and procedures set by Tokyo 2020 and approved by the International Olympic Committee.
  • The refund process likely will be similar to the way refunds were provided last year for those who chose the option not to attend due to the postponement. We have learned from that unprecedented situation and are endeavoring to make the process smoother.
  • The Tokyo 2020 organizers first will have to return the necessary funds to CoSport because CoSport, as an intermediary, long ago forwarded your payment for your tickets to them.
  • We have been assured by the International Olympic Committee that Tokyo 2020 will honor this responsibility, and Tokyo 2020 has confirmed this in public statements.
  • If you have purchased ticket and hotel packages, we also will have to work with the Japanese hotels to refund the monies already provided to them to secure your rooms.
We will work to provide your refund as soon as allowed by the process; however, as the organizers continue to navigate the unusual circumstances brought on by COVID-19, the process likely will take some time. We ask for your patience and understanding in advance as the Olympic authorities and we work through the details.

For the reasons specified above, CoSport is unable to provide an immediate refund. In addition, any attempt to obtain a refund through third parties, such as credit card companies, rather than directly from CoSport, prior to any final announcement related to the refund policy set by Tokyo 2020 or before the entities mentioned above return your monies to CoSport, will not be honored. We ask that you refrain from seeking a refund through your credit card company as Tokyo 2020 and CoSport are handling refunds as outlined above. In fact, experience has shown that attempts to circumvent the official process will complicate the process and delay your refund.

As soon as Tokyo 2020 provides us with detailed information about the refund process, we will update you with more information about how to apply directly to CoSport for your refund. Although we will not have more information until the formal policy is released, please feel free to reach out to our customer service personnel.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by chichow
We will work to provide your refund as soon as allowed by the process; however, as the organizers continue to navigate the unusual circumstances brought on by COVID-19, the process likely will take some time. We ask for your patience and understanding in advance as the Olympic authorities and we work through the details.
Weird. I had thought that they would say that you are free to attend the games, but that complying with Japanese entry requirements is your problem and that no refund will be given should you happen to no-show.

Besides, don't Americans still have visa-free access to Japan as long as they stay out of certain countries for two weeks before entering Japan? Just go to Japan on a private yacht and make sure to spend at least two weeks in international waters between leaving the United States and entering Japan.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FROM CO SPORT email

We hope this message finds you well in these continuing difficult times. You may have heard reports that the Japanese Government announced it is restricting the attendance of international spectators at the Tokyo 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games.

This has been a tough year as all of us have had to manage the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic. We were hopeful Tokyo 2020 would mark a global turning point as the world gathered to celebrate the Games. Unfortunately, the Japanese Governments decision related to spectator attendance is yet another disappointing blow, so we are reaching out now despite the fact no detailed information related to the refund process has been shared with us to outline what you might expect. Whatever process the Japanese organizers develop, CoSport is committed to being a strong ally in guiding you through it.

Because the Japanese Government has restricted international spectator attendance:
  • CoSport and the United States Olympic & Paralympic Committee will work diligently with the Tokyo 2020 organizers to secure your refund based on the terms and conditions of your purchase as well as the policies and procedures set by Tokyo 2020 and approved by the International Olympic Committee.
  • The refund process likely will be similar to the way refunds were provided last year for those who chose the option not to attend due to the postponement. We have learned from that unprecedented situation and are endeavoring to make the process smoother.
  • The Tokyo 2020 organizers first will have to return the necessary funds to CoSport because CoSport, as an intermediary, long ago forwarded your payment for your tickets to them.
  • We have been assured by the International Olympic Committee that Tokyo 2020 will honor this responsibility, and Tokyo 2020 has confirmed this in public statements.
  • If you have purchased ticket and hotel packages, we also will have to work with the Japanese hotels to refund the monies already provided to them to secure your rooms.

For the reasons specified above, CoSport is unable to provide an immediate refund. In addition, any attempt to obtain a refund through third parties, such as credit card companies, rather than directly from CoSport, prior to any final announcement related to the refund policy set by Tokyo 2020 or before the entities mentioned above return your monies to CoSport, will not be honored. We ask that you refrain from seeking a refund through your credit card company as Tokyo 2020 and CoSport are handling refunds as outlined above. In fact, experience has shown that attempts to circumvent the official process will complicate the process and delay your refund.

As soon as Tokyo 2020 provides us with detailed information about the refund process, we will update you with more information about how to apply directly to CoSport for your refund. Although we will not have more information until the formal policy is released, please feel free to reach out to our customer service personnel.

Both sides will go back and forth about refunds , blaming this and that , the IOC will never give any money back willingly .
rustykettel likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Gold AA Gold NW Silver Marriott Plat. SPG Plat. Hilton Gold Hertz 5 Star
Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Both sides will go back and forth about refunds , blaming this and that , the IOC will never give any money back willingly .
This is a really long thread. I can't tell from the last year refund attempt. Did people attempt to refund through their credit card despite what CoSport said and then got back their full amount instead of the Co Sport we will give you back the ticket price minus the handling fees?
Old Mar 20, 2021, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is a really long thread. I can't tell from the last year refund attempt. Did people attempt to refund through their credit card despite what CoSport said and then got back their full amount instead of the Co Sport we will give you back the ticket price minus the handling fees?
I have no idea , as my tickets were "won" in the second lottery in 2019 in Japan.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
I have no idea , as my tickets were "won" in the second lottery in 2019 in Japan.
And lucky you, you get to use them, without the venue smelling of meat.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.