Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Possible to catch the last Shinkansen to Kyoto from Tokyo?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Possible to catch the last Shinkansen to Kyoto from Tokyo?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2019, 12:36 am

Print this.

If your JL flight is scheduled to land at 16.25 and you're flying Y with checked luggage, then I think the NRT Express train departure time that you'll be able to make will range from ~16:45 with good luck (arrive 25min early, no immigration queue, bags come out 25min after parked at gate, no JR Office queue) to ~18:45 with bad luck (arrive 35min late, 30min immigration queue, 40min JR Office queue).

So I present potential train itineraries with starting time during the above time.

NRT Terminal-2 16:48 -NEx- 17:52 Shinagawa 18:10 -Hikari- 20:58 Kyoto
NRT Terminal-2 17:19 -NEx- 18:27 Shinagawa 18:40 -Hikari- 21:11 Kyoto
NRT Terminal-2 17:47 -NEx- 18:56 Shinagawa 19:10 -Hikari- 21:58 Kyoto
NRT Terminal-2 18:19 -NEx- 19:26 Shinagawa 19:40 -Hikari- 22:11 Kyoto
NRT Terminal-2 18:52 -NEx- 19:59 Shinagawa 20:10 -Hikari- 22:58 Kyoto

Print the above so you can just show it to the JR Office employee and point at the one you want them to book you on at the time of JR Pass exchange, depending on how you're doing with time.

But please verify the accuracy of the above times.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
This isn't a work trip, but I'm trying to maximize my time. By the time I arrive in Tokyo, most of the day would have been gone. How often does JL have delays? They seem to be a decent airline. Another problem is that it's highly unlikely I can check-in in the morning. Ideally, I'll take the last train to Kyoto, check-in late at night, and then get a decent rest rather than wake up super early just to get to Kyoto.
Any airline is subject to potential delays. ANA is also a decent airline but it's not infrequent that they're delayed up to 30min for arrival into NRT.
If you're coming from America, keep in mind that most people end up waking up at the crack of dawn or even earlier the following day due to time difference.

It's been a long time since I cleared customs at Narita. I haven't been to Narita in ten years. Can I clear customs quickly and get to the Narita Express?
Customs will be unlikely to be your bottleneck. Immigration queue could be long. If you get through immigration quick, then you'll probably have to wait a while for your bag... if you flew coach and don't have bag priority, then figure 20-35min from parked at gate till your bag comes out. The biggest potential bottleneck may be JR Pass exchange, though.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 1:25 am

Programs: Enrich
I'm just wondering when is the last Shinkansen to Kyoto from Tokyo? A quick search says 7:50 PM. The flight that I'm looking at is suppose to arrive at about 4:25 PM in Tokyo. I plan on getting a 7 day JR Rail Pass. I figure it'll take at least an hour to clear customs and getting my JR Pass activated. After that, I'm going to take the Narita Express to Shinagawa as my research suggest that's the fastest way to get to the Shinkansen. Is this all accurate? You guys think I'll make it or the timing is too tight?
Before getting any JR Rail Pass, first you ask yourself:

1. Will you take more than 3 shinkansen trip? (each trip at least 1 hr 30 mins)

If the answer is no, then don't bother with JR pass, it just not worth it
lsquare and Leaping_Deere like this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by dici
Before getting any JR Rail Pass, first you ask yourself:

1. Will you take more than 3 shinkansen trip? (each trip at least 1 hr 30 mins)

If the answer is no, then don't bother with JR pass, it just not worth it
The plan is to take the Narita Express, Kyoto, Osaka, Himeji, and back to Tokyo. By then I won't have enough time to take the Narita Express back to Narita so I'll have to use another form of transportation or train line. Will the Shinkansen take me to all of those places? If so, is it worth it?

Originally Posted by evergrn
Any airline is subject to potential delays. ANA is also a decent airline but it's not infrequent that they're delayed up to 30min for arrival into NRT.
If you're coming from America, keep in mind that most people end up waking up at the crack of dawn or even earlier the following day due to time difference.

Customs will be unlikely to be your bottleneck. Immigration queue could be long. If you get through immigration quick, then you'll probably have to wait a while for your bag... if you flew coach and don't have bag priority, then figure 20-35min from parked at gate till your bag comes out. The biggest potential bottleneck may be JR Pass exchange, though.
I don't have bag priority. Is the line at the JR Pass exchange long? Even on a Wednesday? I'll be coming in during the summer so I guess it could be busy.

Originally Posted by evergrn
If your JL flight is scheduled to land at 16.25 and you're flying Y with checked luggage, then I think the NRT Express train departure time that you'll be able to make will range from ~16:45 with good luck (arrive 25min early, no immigration queue, bags come out 25min after parked at gate, no JR Office queue) to ~18:45 with bad luck (arrive 35min late, 30min immigration queue, 40min JR Office queue).

So I present potential train itineraries with starting time during the above time.

NRT Terminal-2 16:48 -NEx- 17:52 Shinagawa 18:10 -Hikari- 20:58 Kyoto
NRT Terminal-2 17:19 -NEx- 18:27 Shinagawa 18:40 -Hikari- 21:11 Kyoto
NRT Terminal-2 17:47 -NEx- 18:56 Shinagawa 19:10 -Hikari- 21:58 Kyoto
NRT Terminal-2 18:19 -NEx- 19:26 Shinagawa 19:40 -Hikari- 22:11 Kyoto
NRT Terminal-2 18:52 -NEx- 19:59 Shinagawa 20:10 -Hikari- 22:58 Kyoto

Print the above so you can just show it to the JR Office employee and point at the one you want them to book you on at the time of JR Pass exchange, depending on how you're doing with time.

But please verify the accuracy of the above times.
I'll be flying JL17 and it does appear that they land in T2, gate 84.

The timing looks really tight. Am I reading this correctly? The NEx leaves T2 at 18:52, arrives at Shinagawa at 19:59, and I have 11 minutes to catch the Hikari to Kyoto?

Last edited by armagebedar; Jun 21, 2019 at 5:35 am Reason: subsequent posts by same poster
Old Jun 20, 2019, 1:51 am

Programs: Enrich
Shinkansen can get you to those places, just you may be bounded to hourly train schedule.

But for Kyoto to Osaka, there are many other choices of limited express train which will get you to destination without much of traveling time difference, and it cost by half. Just take not, JR pass can't be used for subway and certain buses in Osaka and Kyoto.

For Osaka and HImeji, same as kyoto case, I believe the traveling time difference of limited express and shinkansen is 1 hour vs 45 minutes difference.

And the flight ticket from itami airport to NRT may cost even less than shinkansen from osaka to tokyo... But if you want to have an experience of shinkansen, I would say do the math first, then you might want to buy a one-way trip to experience it all the way from osaka to tokyo
Old Jun 20, 2019, 2:02 am

I'll be flying JL17 and it does appear that they land in T2, gate 84.

The timing looks really tight. Am I reading this correctly? The NEx leaves T2 at 18:52, arrives at Shinagawa at 19:59, and I have 11 minutes to catch the Hikari to Kyoto?
As long as NEx is on time, that transfer at Shinagawa will be no problem. That transfer is possible in just a few minutes if you don’t faff around and just follow the sign for Shinkansen. It’s rare that NEX runs more than 5 minutes late, but it does happen.

Yes you’re reading correctly. Chances are, you should be able to make an earlier NEx.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 5:04 am

Programs: Delta
Another thought. Stay near airport or in Narita City first night. Relax, have dinner, go to bed. You'll likely wake up very early next day because of jet lag no matter how tired you are. Take morning flight next day to ITM. Flight will be cheaper and no stress about trying to make connections.
RunningforMiles likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: UA, NW
Since you will be jet-lagged, it will be no problem to wake up early and catch an early Shinkansen to Kyoto, leaving most of the day to explore. Instead of stressing about catching the train to Kyoto that very night, I suggest taking it easy and having a relaxing evening in a hotel near Shinagawa.

On one trip, I had to be in Hiroshima by noon the day after arriving. I took the N'Ex to Shinagawa, where I had a hotel reservation. Since I was jet-lagged, I woke up at 4:30 and couldn't get back to sleep, so I had no trouble catching the 6:30AM westbound Shinkansen. That would have gotten me into Kyoto shortly after 9:00AM, if Kyoto had been my destination.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 8:38 am

I did similar US-NRT-KIX-US 9 day trip in May. In NRT I was with my bags at T2 train station 30' after getting off the plane (arrived in J). Line at JR office looked 30' long. I exchanged voucher 2 days later. Used Pass on Tokyo-Osaka plus daily trips to Nikko, Kamakura/Yokohama, Himeji, Nara, Ex to KIX, and many short runs like Osaka-Kyoto or Tokyo-Ueno. I estimate saving close to $100 with pass. Make sure to download HYPERDIA by VOICE app, it's priceless.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:14 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
You're over-stressing. I don't think there is any way you can NOT make the connections.
lsquare and abmj-jr like this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:30 am
mhy

Programs: JGC
You shouldn't have a problem making it onto the 18:52 N'EX to Shinagawa at the very worst case. I think my personal record is arrival on JL3 @ 2:40pm, deplane and through immigration in 5 minutes (Japanese passport), bags / customs in 10 minutes, go to train station and buy N'EX ticket @ JR ticket machine in 10 minutes, and board the 3:18pm N'EX to Tokyo.

The big factor for you will be the line at the JR ticket office. I use my Japanese credit card to buy tickets at the JR ticket machine (and I'm ineligible for Japan Rail Pass anyway) but those lines can be truly horrendous sometimes. I have seen "60 minute wait" posted there in the past.

Even if your immigration/customs + ticket exchange takes 2 hours total, you should still be safe for 18:52 provided the flight arrives on time. And as someone said the N'EX -> Shinkansen transfer at Shinagawa is very easy and fast. Make sure you change there and not Tokyo station!
lsquare likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 3:11 pm

Jl17. Out of past 62 flights, avg delay is 8 min, max delay is 21min. Only 2 have delays above 15 min

Basically, this is doable. Only risk = crowds @ customs/JL pass office, and they are small risks given the amount of buffer time you have

figure out a backup plan if you get delayed. As I said, you can still make it to Tokyo (or as far as Nagoya) and pay out of pocket for a cheap hotel room there.

Keep track of the time, and go to backup plan if you're still waiting on Jr pass line 5 minutes before last NEx departure for shinagawa/kyoto

That was what I was doing for my trip
mhy likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by ksandness
Since you will be jet-lagged, it will be no problem to wake up early and catch an early Shinkansen to Kyoto, leaving most of the day to explore. Instead of stressing about catching the train to Kyoto that very night, I suggest taking it easy and having a relaxing evening in a hotel near Shinagawa.
If you're going to just be dead tired why not take a overnight bus?
Old Jun 22, 2019, 2:54 am

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by s0ssos
If you're going to just be dead tired why not take a overnight bus?
Overnight bus would be one of the LAST places I'd look for a good night's sleep when dead tired. Good way to save money if you're traveling cheap, but that's about it.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by nishimark
Overnight bus would be one of the LAST places I'd look for a good night's sleep when dead tired. Good way to save money if you're traveling cheap, but that's about it.
If I'm dead tired I'll sleep no matter what.

The thing is, OP might not be tired arriving. The people who talked about early morning awakening-I find it depends on when you sleep. If you arrive in the evening in Japan, from the US, you might not be able to sleep. You would stay up late. And then sleep during the day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.