Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Possible to catch the last Shinkansen to Kyoto from Tokyo?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

I'm just wondering when is the last Shinkansen to Kyoto from Tokyo? A quick search says 7:50 PM. The flight that I'm looking at is suppose to arrive at about 4:25 PM in Tokyo. I plan on getting a 7 day JR Rail Pass. I figure it'll take at least an hour to clear customs and getting my JR Pass activated. After that, I'm going to take the Narita Express to Shinagawa as my research suggest that's the fastest way to get to the Shinkansen. Is this all accurate? You guys think I'll make it or the timing is too tight?
Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:32 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
If you don't absolutely need the JR Pass, the last Nozomi departure from Tokyo is 9.23pm. The last Hikari departs Tokyo station at 8.03pm.

HyperDia | Interval timetable
Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:40 pm

Programs: Delta
I think that you could make the 8:03. But if you miss it and take a Nozomi, then JR Pass can't be used. Another option is fly to Osaka from NRT. (That's what locals do.) Your airline may connect with JAL or ANA, both of which have evening flights to Itami airport (ITM) designed for such connections. If not, tourists can get a discount ticket on those Japanese airlines for cheaper than shinkansen. From ITM, it's easy to take a limousine bus to Kyoto. Another option would be a flight to Kansai airport (KIX). From there you can take express train or limo bus to Kyoto.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shuigao
If you don't absolutely need the JR Pass, the last Nozomi departure from Tokyo is 9.23pm. The last Hikari departs Tokyo station at 8.03pm.

HyperDia Interval timetable
But then I'll have to pay for a separate ticket. From NRT, it seems like only the ULCCs fly to KIX. Would it better if I take the Narita Express to Shinagawa? Regardless, is the timing too tight? Should I just spend the night in Tokyo even though I don't really want to?
Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nishimark
I think that you could make the 8:03. But if you miss it and take a Nozomi, then JR Pass can't be used. Another option is fly to Osaka from NRT. (That's what locals do.) Your airline may connect with JAL or ANA, both of which have evening flights to Itami airport (ITM) designed for such connections. If not, tourists can get a discount ticket on those Japanese airlines for cheaper than shinkansen. From ITM, it's easy to take a limousine bus to Kyoto. Another option would be a flight to Kansai airport (KIX). From there you can take express train or limo bus to Kyoto.
I've already booked the airfare to NRT with JL. I thought Osaka was KIX and serves Kyoto as well? I guess I got it wrong then because when I did a quick search, I saw only ULCCs flying to KIX from NRT. I didn't see JL or NH. If the fare is cheap enough, then I rather just fly and save myself the time. So ITM is the main airport serving Osaka and Kyoto and not KIX?

As a tourist, how do I get the discount fare to ITM with either JL or NH? A quick search on Google Flights show US$110 for the one-way NRT-ITM flight.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
JAL has Japan Explorer Pass:
https://www.world.jal.co.jp/world/en...lorer_pass/lp/

Edit: I just realized most of JAL flights domestic are at HND so I don't know if this will work well for you although they will probably have some late night flights. It is mostly ULCCs that fly out of NRT for domestic Japan.

You do have enough time to get to take the Shinkansen. An hour delay is about the most you can afford.

Why is Shinagawa station better than Tokyo station? I'm guessing less walking and easier to find the platform? When you pick up your JR Pass you can reserve your seat as well so you will be good for seats.

Last edited by nutwpinut; Jun 19, 2019 at 8:06 pm
Old Jun 19, 2019, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nutwpinut
Regardless of the price, Google Flights says the last flight out of NRT to ITM with JL is 18:35. That's still kind of tight?

So they accept USD credit cards and I just get charged in Yen? No other way to get the discounted fares?
Old Jun 19, 2019, 8:19 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
... Why is Shinagawa station better than Tokyo station? I'm guessing less walking and easier to find the platform? When you pick up your JR Pass you can reserve your seat as well so you will be good for seats.
Much easier to navigate and simpler and faster to find platforms. Tokyo-eki is huge, crowded and confusing, particularly for first-timers.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 8:33 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Looks to me like you could get the 6:15 pm or 6:48 pm N'Ex from NRT#1 , which would connect to the 7:26 or 7:59 pm Hikari at Shinagawa. If it isn't too crowded at NRT, you might even make the 5:44 N'Ex.

This all assumes you will be at Terminal #1 . T-2 runs a couple of minutes later.

http://www.hyperdia.com/en/cgi/en/se...d&sum_target=7
Old Jun 19, 2019, 8:49 pm

Programs: Delta
Have you tried calling JAL to add that flight to ITM to your ticket? If you can't do that, then check out the discount fare here (as also noted above).

ITM is a domestic only airport in Osaka, while KIX is both international and domestic. ITM is only served by JAL and ANA. It was the original airport in Osaka and closer to downtown as well as Kyoto. From ITM to Kyoto, limo bus is most convenient and stress free.

I live in the Osaka area and often transit in NRT, flying on to ITM. For me, 2 hours is enough to have something to eat between flights, but I know the airport and have residency visa, so am usually out of customs within 30 minutes of landing. JAL considers the layover time as OK, as the flight times are designed for this very thing.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
I'm just wondering when is the last Shinkansen to Kyoto from Tokyo? A quick search says 7:50 PM. The flight that I'm looking at is suppose to arrive at about 4:25 PM in Tokyo. I plan on getting a 7 day JR Rail Pass. I figure it'll take at least an hour to clear customs and getting my JR Pass activated. After that, I'm going to take the Narita Express to Shinagawa as my research suggest that's the fastest way to get to the Shinkansen. Is this all accurate? You guys think I'll make it or the timing is too tight?
what day of the week are u arriving?
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:40 pm

I've landed at 4:45pm in T2 on a JL in'l flight
gone through customs, picked up JR pass (short wait, and booked reservations for NEX and Hikari)
Took the 5:47pm NEX 42 to Shinagawa (6:56pm), connected to 7:10pm Hikari to Kyoto

Didn't feel rushed. YMMV on customs and JR pass wait though. that was 2 years ago though

can't find my shinagawa-kyoto stub, but this was my itinerary

nutwpinut likes this.

Last edited by paperwastage; Jun 19, 2019 at 9:48 pm
Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

JAL has Japan Explorer Pass:

Edit: I just realized most of JAL flights domestic are at HND so I don't know if this will work well for you although they will probably have some late night flights. It is mostly ULCCs that fly out of NRT for domestic Japan.

You do have enough time to get to take the Shinkansen. An hour delay is about the most you can afford.

Why is Shinagawa station better than Tokyo station? I'm guessing less walking and easier to find the platform? When you pick up your JR Pass you can reserve your seat as well so you will be good for seats.
It's been a long time since I cleared customs at Narita. I haven't been to Narita in ten years. Can I clear customs quickly and get to the Narita Express?

Originally Posted by evergrn

what day of the week are u arriving?
I'll be arriving on a Wednesday.

Originally Posted by paperwastage
I've landed at 4:45pm in T2 on a JL in'l flight
gone through customs, picked up JR pass (short wait, and booked reservations for NEX and Hikari)
Took the 5:47pm NEX 42 to Shinagawa (6:56pm), connected to 7:10pm Hikari to Kyoto

Didn't feel rushed. YMMV on customs and JR pass wait though. that was 2 years ago though

can't find my shinagawa-kyoto stub, but this was my itinerary
Your post gives me hope. Is the JR pass still in paper form? It's been a while since I was at Narita so I'm not familiar with the airport. You think on a typical day, I can clear customs, grab my suitcase, exchange my JR pass, and still make it on time? This would save the most time and money for me. I feel like booking the last flight with JL out of Narita is even tighter. I have roughly two hours to play with. I don't think there's enough time to clear customs and check my suitcase in again if there is even a slight delay or long lines at customs.

Last edited by armagebedar; Jun 21, 2019 at 5:34 am Reason: subsequent posts by same poster
Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:29 pm

I haven't used Narita T2 or JR passes since that trip 2 years ago, someone else can chime in

Unless you have some urgent need to get to Kyoto that night (or nonrefundable room), have a backup plan (hikari 10:05pm shinagawa to Nagoya, find cheap hotel rooms in Nagoya or some stop along the way. Get to Kyoto early next morning at 7:20am)

If you are super delayed (flight delayed 2+ hours), you aren't making any train or domestic flight connection, overnight in tokyo
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paperwastage
I haven't used Narita T2 or JR passes since that trip 2 years ago, someone else can chime in

Unless you have some urgent need to get to Kyoto that night (or nonrefundable room), have a backup plan (hikari 10:05pm shinagawa to Nagoya, find cheap hotel rooms in Nagoya or some stop along the way. Get to Kyoto early next morning at 7:20am)

If you are super delayed (flight delayed 2+ hours), you aren't making any train or domestic flight connection, overnight in tokyo
This isn't a work trip, but I'm trying to maximize my time. By the time I arrive in Tokyo, most of the day would have been gone. How often does JL have delays? They seem to be a decent airline. Another problem is that it's highly unlikely I can check-in in the morning. Ideally, I'll take the last train to Kyoto, check-in late at night, and then get a decent rest rather than wake up super early just to get to Kyoto.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.