Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Narita to Comfort Hotel Yokohama Kannai

Old Jun 6, 19, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Our plane will arrive at Narita at 16:35 on a Wednesday. Our hotel is the Comfort Hotel Yokohama Kannai. The address is 3-33 Sumiyoshicho, Naka-ku, Yokohama . What would be the best way to get to the hotel from Narita? Thanks so much.
Old Jun 6, 19, 11:54 am

Programs: NW Gold, '06. Good times.
Originally Posted by alert View Post
Our plane will arrive at Narita at 16:35 on a Wednesday. Our hotel is the Comfort Hotel Yokohama Kannai. The address is 3-33 Sumiyoshicho, Naka-ku, Yokohama . What would be the best way to get to the hotel from Narita? Thanks so much.
Depends - how good is your Japanese? And how tired do you think you'll be?
Old Jun 6, 19, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Angry

Originally Posted by hoyateach View Post
Depends - how good is your Japanese? And how tired do you think you'll be?
We don't know any Japanese.
Old Jun 6, 19, 12:03 pm

Programs: NW Gold, '06. Good times.
No worries.

Simplest route, in my experience: Narita Express to Yokohama Station. Taxi to the hotel. Most cabbies should know it but have it written out anyway, in both languages, just to be sure.

You might also want to take a look at the Airport Limo bus service, which can take you to the Yokohama City Air Terminal (YCAT) which is about as far from the hotel as Yokohama Station. Some people swear by the bus but I've always preferred the train - it's usually more predictable.

Exchange yen only on arrival (assuming you're coming from the States). US-based currency changers are among the most usurious in the world. You'll get a much better rate at a bank branch at Narita Airport.

Have a good trip!
LapLap and YVRYEGYVR like this.
Old Jun 6, 19, 12:03 pm

Programs: DL PM
Probably the easiest way is to take the JR Narita Express direct to Yokohama Station, and then take a taxi from there to the hotel. From 16:19 until 19:46, this direct train departs every 30 minutes.
Old Jun 6, 19, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If cost is a factor - which I’m guessing it must be for you to be basing yourself in Kannai (may be a false economy staying there, but I don’t have enough data to push this) - then the cheapest rail option would usually be to get to Yokohama on a different train that takes about 30 minutes longer than the Narita Express.
However - there is no significant cost saving to be made as you will have a foreign passport and, so long as you are returning to NRT within two weeks, you will be eligible for a discounted Narita Express return ticket
https://www.jreast.co.jp/e/pass/nex_round.html
From Yokohama Station you can get to Kannai Station, takes 5 minutes and 140yen.
Make a print out using Google Maps to get from there to your hotel. Or hail a cab at Yokohama as suggested.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jun 6, 19 at 4:01 pm Reason: Redact deleted quote
Old Jun 6, 19, 9:47 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver, Hilton HHonors Gold
Your hotel is a block away from the office I work out of my Japan visits and not that much farther from my usual hotel.

Narita Express to Yokohama Station, then switching to a local train for 2 stops to Kannai Station was what I did for a long time. If you do this, take the north exit at Kannai as it has an elevator and puts you just a few feet from Kannai Odori street, the main street that one side of your hotel faces. (You could also do Narita Express to Yokohama Station then take a taxi to your hotel.)

For the last 2 or 3 years I've been taking the Airport Limo bus to YCAT, then a taxi to my hotel. I made the switch in part because I found the wait was shorter for the Airport Limo than for the Narita Express at my arrival time. There is also less lugging of luggage. There is traffic risk with the Airport Limo but I've been caught in a jam maybe 1 out of 10 times. Also, I tend to depart from Haneda so the Narita Express round trip deal isn't a factor for me.

Several 7-11 stores in the immediate area. Their Seven Bank ATMs are great for getting cash.

Feel free to let me know if you have Kannai-related questions.
LapLap and Kannai like this.
Old Jun 7, 19, 6:14 am

If you are getting off the JR Narita Express at Yokohama, you can freely transfer to the JR Keihin-Tohoko local train passing Kennai or most other destination stations in Tokyo. The reverse applies as well on a return journey, which makes for economical transit connections.

NEX Tokyo Round Trip Ticket
The NEX Tokyo Round Trip Ticket is a discounted ticket for foreign travelers arriving at Tokyo's Narita Airport. It provides a round trip by the Narita Express train (NEX) from the airport to Tokyo, Yokohama or Saitama and back to the airport within a 2-week period at a discount of 33-55 percent.
-
Old Jun 7, 19, 7:31 am

Programs: UA, NW
The schedules for the limousine bus are here:
https://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/

The schedules for the Narita Express are here:
JR-EAST Train Reservation

The ticket counters for both are in the Arrivals area, so you can choose either one depending on when you emerge from Customs and Immigration. No reservations are needed.

Last edited by ksandness; Jun 7, 19 at 7:33 am Reason: better link
Old Jun 11, 19, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Probably too late but I'm very much prefer the Airport Limousine Bus to YCAT and then a taxi (or JR train to Kannai Station if you're trying to be frugal). As my name implies, I live in Kannai. I second rts123's offer to answer questions about the area if you need. But I assume the folx at the front desk at your hotel will be able to field your questions just as well.

Whether you're here for work or play, do at least walk down to the waterfront. The evening view from the long passenger ferry pier (Osanbashi) is nice of the skyline. It's also pretty in the morning sun when looking out over the suspension bridge you probably came in on if you came by bus. Have fun here!
Old Jun 12, 19, 12:46 am

Programs: United, Hilton
Originally Posted by Kannai View Post
As my name implies, I live in Kannai.
'nuff said!
case closed.
Old Jun 14, 19, 8:32 am

Programs: UA, NW
Even if it's too late for the OP, here's a suggestion that may help all visitors who don't speak Japanese or anyone visiting a country that doesn't use the Latin alphabet:

Your hotel almost certainly has a website in English (and maybe other languages) plus Japanese (or whatever the local language is: Korean, Russian, Greek, etc.)

Before you leave, print out the top page of the local language version of the website. It should contain the address and phone number of the hotel, perhaps even a map.

If your cab driver doesn't speak English, hand him the printout. If he doesn't recognize the name of the hotel or isn't sure where it is, he can phone for directions.

I once used the printout method myself as a pedestrian. I had a reservation at a minshuku in Nagoya after flying into NGO. The website said that it was a five-minute walk from such-and-such a metro station, but when I emerged from the station, all I saw were a big temple, a couple of small shops, and houses. The map from the website was sketchy and confusing, but it was enough for a local resident to figure out what all those manga-like drawings meant and to give directions in a typically Japanese way, by mentioning landmarks. "Turn right at the corner where the camera shop is and walk till you see a newspaper agency. The minshuku is across the street from that and has a sign over the door."