Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Ramen in Japan

Ramen in Japan

Old May 29, 2019, 12:03 am
Original Poster

Ramen in Japan

Any recommendations for yummy ramen in Japan, especially the Tokyo area?

The last memorable ramen I had was in Shinjuku at Fuunji ramen, near the station.
https://tabelog.com/en/tokyo/A1304/A130401/13044091/

Recently had Ippudo ramen at Kyoto but it was just ok, nothing really special.
Had a long queue though.
https://tabelog.com/en/kyoto/A2601/A260201/26001131/

Also tried Ramen Muraji in Kyoto which had some different takes on ramen.
https://tabelog.com/en/kyoto/A2601/A260301/26026529/
Old May 29, 2019, 4:20 am

Give Ichiran a try, especially their branches at the JR Shibuya and Metro Meiji-jingumae stations. For equally good (if not better) tonkotsu and tsukemen, there's Rokurinsha at JR Tokyo station and near Metro Oshiage at Solamachi/Skytree.
Old May 29, 2019, 7:52 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AAdvantage, Southwest, HHonors, National
This is a point of reference whenever I want see what's good: Ramen Adventures

Recommendation:
  • Ramen Ouka - Shinjuku area, unique due to the restaurant having Halal and Vegan options. Halal ramen subs out the chasu for grilled chicken thighs and broth is based on tomato and snapper.
pudgym29 likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 12:09 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Go to those "ramen stadium" , "ramen republic" , "ramen museum"... type venues. A dozen or so ramen shops at the same spot. Those with the longest line-up supposedly are good.

There's one at Kyoto Station.... "ramen koji".
Old May 29, 2019, 12:42 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlitBen
Give Ichiran a try, especially their branches at the JR Shibuya and Metro Meiji-jingumae stations. For equally good (if not better) tonkotsu and tsukemen, there's Rokurinsha at JR Tokyo station and near Metro Oshiage at Solamachi/Skytree.
I really don't get how Ichiran is regarded as special. Also, outside of Japan, the ones in NYC are total ripoffs.
HarryLime and wolfpacktrojan like this.
Old May 29, 2019, 7:03 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by HawaiiO
I really liked Tsuta when I visited earlier this year. Good Miso / Tonkotsu ramen's are a dime a dozen but good shoyu ramens (technically soba at Tsuta) aren't easy to find.

Not quite sure it really deserves the star though. The queue system also sort of stinks - what I did was show up early, get queue ticket, then go elsewhere for breakfast & passed time with ocha and desserts at the nearby Rikugien gardens.
Sandeep1 likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 7:33 pm

I actually like Ichiran.
I know it’s not the best.
But it’s high quality nonetheless, consistent, and not intimidating. You could certainly do far worse by trying some random decently rated place from Tabelog. It’s probably my favorite.
Old May 29, 2019, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Wanted to try Ichiran when I was in Osaka but the queue was really crazy long...
Maybe next time
Old May 29, 2019, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA MM *G, NH Plat/SFC, HH Diamond, GE
Originally Posted by HawaiiO
Way too many list here, but Gradfly's right about Ramen Adventures' website below.

Originally Posted by Gradfly
This is a point of reference whenever I want see what's good: Ramen Adventures
Ramen Adventures is great, but he's like 3rd degree black belt level. Most tourists or foreigners aren't at his level and will easily be blown away at more accessible, English friendly places, in central Tokyo like: Ippudo, Ichiran, Afuri, Jangara, Nagi, Gogyo, Kagari, Kazami, Tetsu, etc.

Originally Posted by beep88
Go to those "ramen stadium" , "ramen republic" , "ramen museum"... type venues. A dozen or so ramen shops at the same spot. Those with the longest line-up supposedly are good.
This is good advice too... I've sent plenty of visitors to Tokyo station or Shinagawa station's "ramen street" and even Yokohama's ramen museum. The places there are branches of well-known and popular ramen joints and because there's a variety of styles, groups of people can all find something they like.
tinkerbell78 likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 1:08 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Supleks Ramen Database is my goto source for revies and ratings for ramen.

https://ramendb.supleks.jp/map
pudgym29 likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Originally Posted by shuigao
I really liked Tsuta when I visited earlier this year. Good Miso / Tonkotsu ramen's are a dime a dozen but good shoyu ramens (technically soba at Tsuta) aren't easy to find.

Not quite sure it really deserves the star though. The queue system also sort of stinks - what I did was show up early, get queue ticket, then go elsewhere for breakfast & passed time with ocha and desserts at the nearby Rikugien gardens.
I agree on all counts about Tsuta. On the other hand, fellow-star-recipient Nakiryu hits the spot every time and I never regret waiting in the queue.
Old May 30, 2019, 8:59 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold, Accor Gold
With some of the best ramen in the world available in Japan it amazes me how people rave about cheap chain trash like Ichiran. It's like going to the States and saying that you had these amazing burgers at a place called Wendy's and everyone should eat there. Yeah the burgers may be consistent and better than the average Japanese burger, but you're wasting a meal eating there when there are so many better options.

The Michelin guide's list of ramen restaurants certainly won't do you wrong: https://gm.gnavi.co.jp/restaurant/li...amen/all_star/
HarryLime and Mitchydean0103 like this.
Old May 30, 2019, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by bigmadden
With some of the best ramen in the world available in Japan it amazes me how people rave about cheap chain trash like Ichiran. It's like going to the States and saying that you had these amazing burgers at a place called Wendy's and everyone should eat there. Yeah the burgers may be consistent and better than the average Japanese burger, but you're wasting a meal eating there when there are so many better options.

The Michelin guide's list of ramen restaurants certainly won't do you wrong: https://gm.gnavi.co.jp/restaurant/li...amen/all_star/
Maybe I’m not quite the ramen connoisseur that you are. But comparing Ichiran to Wendy’s is kind of ridiculous. I’m from a suburb of Tokyo, and there’s not a single joint in my town or the next town over that’s better than Ichiran. Ichiran’s not the best by any stretch. But it’s a good safe choice.
Old May 30, 2019, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
I know you said you didn't like the one in Kyoto, but I thoroughly enjoyed my visit to Ippudo Ginza. It's very small, if you want to give it another try.
Old May 30, 2019, 10:47 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Michelin Guide for ramen??? Hahahahaahaahaha.

Just walk up to a convenient cart on the way back to the hotel.
kaffir76 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.