Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Ramen in Japan

Ramen in Japan

Old Dec 21, 2019, 7:38 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by LapLap
I needed a name to distinguish ramen from the fauxful stuff, and I have it now, thank you! Ramen Soup.
or Chicago style ramen.
LapLap, BeachRat and MSYtoJFKagain like this.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 9:37 pm

Programs: Global Entry · WN, UA, AS, DL, NH; IHG, Wyndham, Hilton, Best Value Inn, Marriott, Starwood, Ramada
Question I should know better

No, not for that reason.
I am making this response as a precondition for a reply I shall make in another Japan thread here on FlyerTalk.
There has been no activity on this thread since 2019. Guess what? Things, including ramen restaurants, have changed in Japan.
But essentially, I was mildly disconsolate about a poster who on that thread, had a quizzical occurance at Ippudo in NYC.
Originally Posted by snowboardpunk
I'm hoping there's more than Ippudo, since I've lived in NYC and had it before. Not my favorite ramen spot. I did read that Sushi Kyotatsu is open in the north wing and have heard great things.
I have eaten at the Ippudo in Ebisu Tokyo; but I did not then have a camera. By the time of Japan Do #4 - Osaka; I did.
I was staying at a new hostel in Namba, and on the Saturday afternoon, when other FT'ers were off on a tour elsewhere, walked out of the hostel and occurred upon the Osaka branch of Ippudo.
I thought it was pretty good. It was sufficient for the evening's activities.
I'm going to be more explicit and annotate the English-language Japan ramen shack guides to which I link:And of course, you could also check a translation of a ramen rater like RAMENOID. He resides in Ibaraki prefecture, but travels through the cosmopolitan region. He composes one review each day, and he has a coterie of followers who read and respond to his reviews.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I never understood the Ippudo Ramen fascination. I've eaten a lot of ramen around Japan, and it was the second worst I've had. Obviously "second worst" in Japan is still decent, but I was definitely disappointed. The Ippudos in the USA are not any better.Pick up a copy of Ramen Walker when you are in Japan and you can find some very nice places! Or just browse Tabelog...
Old Sep 16, 2022, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by pudgym29
No, not for that reason.
Just adding that Ramen Beast has an app in the iPhone App Store (no clue if one exists for android). You can see what shops are near your current location or browse by types of ramen and various other categories. It even has brief reviews of the shops and and provides their recommended bowl for each shop. The app hasn't been updated in a while so it might have the absolute most recently opened shops but I would still recommend it as a good resource to quickly find where you could get a good bowl nearby.
od_sf likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by A Little Cow
Or just browse Tabelog...
ding ding. :-)
I do find Brian's reviews funny and super in depth. https://m.youtube.com/user/brianramen
seigex likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 6:06 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Originally Posted by A Little Cow
I never understood the Ippudo Ramen fascination. I've eaten a lot of ramen around Japan, and it was the second worst I've had. Obviously "second worst" in Japan is still decent, but I was definitely disappointed. The Ippudos in the USA are not any better.Pick up a copy of Ramen Walker when you are in Japan and you can find some very nice places! Or just browse Tabelog...
I really like tabelog but for ramen, I always find Supleks a bit more reliable and specific
Old Sep 17, 2022, 11:50 pm

I can't imagine going to Ippudo NY for ramen. You go for the pork buns and shishito and atmosphere and your out-of-town friends and you tolerate the ramen lol. Ippudo in Japan was reserved for when I lived 50 meters from the one in Ebisu and was too lazy to go anywhere else.

There's nothing wrong with a nice tsukemen bowl at Afuri and plenty of other great places around just about every corner in Tokyo. For a nice salty straightforward bowl I'm partial to machida shouten in shibuya near tokyu hands (iekei style).
HarryLime likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 10:41 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Last ramen I had in Tokyo was Zundou-ya near Kabukicho. Not my favorite of the ramenyas i've been to, but it was pretty good. I do remember the gyoza being pretty awesome at this place though.

Worst bowl of ramen I've had in Japan was at Yaro Ramen in Asakusabashi. The pork was good, but outside of that it was basically bean sprouts with very little soup. This place is known for their massive ramen bowls, but it was quite disappointing.

My favorite was, incidentally, a tiny shop I walked in to off the street as I was walking to the edo museum, that cost me 500 yen all in with beer. Unfortunately, I took no pictures of it and my Google timeline tracking is failing me trying to find it
pudgym29 likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 9:04 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by pesos
I can't imagine going to Ippudo NY for ramen. You go for the pork buns and shishito and atmosphere and your out-of-town friends and you tolerate the ramen lol. Ippudo in Japan was reserved for when I lived 50 meters from the one in Ebisu and was too lazy to go anywhere else.
Totally agree. Surprised to see so many people simply going to Ichiran and nowhere else. I won't call it the McDonalds of ramen, but it would be like coming to NYC and wanting a burger and only going to Shake Shack. It's fine, but it's also in like, airports.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by HarryLime
Totally agree. Surprised to see so many people simply going to Ichiran and nowhere else. I won't call it the McDonalds of ramen, but it would be like coming to NYC and wanting a burger and only going to Shake Shack. It's fine, but it's also in like, airports.
Today it is, but 15 years ago I would wait in line for *the* shake shack XD
seigex likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Any recommendations of vegetarian ramen in either Tokyo or Kyoto? Or is that strictly an American dish?
Old Sep 22, 2022, 4:37 pm

I usually take my veghead friends to Afuri; it's solid.

This came up on google just now:
https://jw-webmagazine.com/5-best-ve...-7fbbf75d3947/
Old Sep 22, 2022, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Originally Posted by pesos
I usually take my veghead friends to Afuri; it's solid.

This came up on google just now:
https://jw-webmagazine.com/5-best-ve...-7fbbf75d3947/
Thank you. Fascinating that the one European location they have is in Lisbon, Portugal
Old Sep 27, 2022, 9:03 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by seigex
Worst bowl of ramen I've had in Japan was at Yaro Ramen in Asakusabashi. The pork was good, but outside of that it was basically bean sprouts with very little soup. This place is known for their massive ramen bowls, but it was quite disappointing.

That looks like 二郎系ラーメン (Jiro-kei ramen or Jiro-type ramen), which is popular lately, especially among young people. Just like anything hyped or popular, Jiro-kei ramen is popular because of the media, not because of the taste. But it is popular enough that even I heard of Jiro-kei ramen. One thing about Jiro-kei ramen is a large amount of bean sprouts, sometimes cabbage. I think Jiro-kei ramen is popular among young people because of the large amount of bean sprouts that fill them up. Young people are looking for something cheap and fill them up. Also, obligatory for Jiro-kei ramen is チャーシュー (char siu or roast pork). Jiro-kei ramen usually use thick noodle and thick pork stock soup, which I think these two also help Jiro-kei ramen to be fulfilling.

Jiro-kei ramen is popular enough that now available at the frozen section of supermarkets.
pudgym29 and seigex like this.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 9:07 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
That looks like 二郎系ラーメン (Jiro-kei ramen or Jiro-type ramen), which is popular lately, especially among young people. Just like anything hyped or popular, Jiro-kei ramen is popular because of the media, not because of the taste. But it is popular enough that even I heard of Jiro-kei ramen. One thing about Jiro-kei ramen is a large amount of bean sprouts, sometimes cabbage. I think Jiro-kei ramen is popular among young people because of the large amount of bean sprouts that fill them up. Young people are looking for something cheap and fill them up. Also, obligatory for Jiro-kei ramen is チャーシュー (char siu or roast pork). Jiro-kei ramen usually use thick noodle and thick pork stock soup, which I think these two also help Jiro-kei ramen to be fulfilling.

Jiro-kei ramen is popular enough that now available at the frozen section of supermarkets.
I believe I went to this specific one because of a YouTube video I watched or something. I remember seeing it in some kind of challenge because of the sheer size of it, so I got caught up in the social media aspect of it too it seems. It was definitely not an impressive bowl of ramen though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.