Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Landing in separate terminals - Narita

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2019, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Landing in separate terminals - Narita

My husband and I have an upcoming trip planned to Japan. Due to flying with different airlines, we will be landing in separate terminals at the Narita airport. We plan on activating our JR passes when we get to the airport as we will be heading straight to Kyoto. We would like to meet up prior to activating our JR passes so we can do that together and board the train together. Is this possible at this airport?

I see that there are shuttle buses between terminals 1 and 2 - however, I am not sure if I can access the JR service desk in a terminal separate from the one I land in.

Thanks!!
Old May 27, 2019, 9:01 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by stephanie37
I see that there are shuttle buses between terminals 1 and 2 - however, I am not sure if I can access the JR service desk in a terminal separate from the one I land in.
You probably can. The JR desks are all landside so I don't see why you couldn't shuttle bus from T1 to T2 (or vice versa) and meet up at the JR office area.
Old May 28, 2019, 12:59 am

You definitely can.
JR is landslide as mentioned above and it doesn’t matter where you land. Anyone can go to any JR station, and any foreigner can activate their JRPass at any JR pass exchange office.
Old May 28, 2019, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Worth stressing that Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 do both have their own separate JR stations (although OP does seem to be aware of this)

As well as using the landslide shuttle buses to get between the terminals
https://www.narita-airport.jp/en/access/shuttlebus

The other option is to pay 140 (JR) or 150 yen (Keisei) for the 2 or 3 minute trip from T1 to T2 by local rail. Or whoever arrives first exchanges their pass at the JR desk for their terminal then pops over to the other station and is in a much wiser experienced position to help the other spouse with exchanging theirs.
Seems unlikely that one of the passengers won’t have some time to kill.
nutwpinut and MSPeconomist like this.
Old May 28, 2019, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

This is all very helpful! Thanks!

I feel better confirming ahead of time that the JR desks are landslide. But even if not, I didn’t think about one of us taking the JR train to the other terminal! Thanks
LapLap likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 4:15 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
I'd just take the shuttle bus over and establish a meeting spot in advance. I did this a couple months ago. Landed at T2, met my brother at the Starbucks in T1, then purchased NEX tickets at the JR desk & left from there.
Old May 30, 2019, 4:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC Japanese cell phones follow a different standard, so don't count on being able to make a call to connect with each other. You should have a backup meeting point arranged in advance, probably near the JR station in the terminal of the person scheduled to arrive later.
ksandness and nancypants like this.
Old May 31, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IIRC Japanese cell phones follow a different standard, so don't count on being able to make a call to connect with each other. You should have a backup meeting point arranged in advance, probably near the JR station in the terminal of the person scheduled to arrive later.
I've always landed at T1 in the past few years, and the Starbucks near the JR office is a standard recommended meeting place.
rustykettel likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
3G and 4G are the same standard as elsewhere - as long as your phone has Band 1, you're good. All 3G phones have Band 1 and most 4G have it, so it's not an issue. Costs might be an issue, though.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
3G and 4G are the same standard as elsewhere - as long as your phone has Band 1, you're good. All 3G phones have Band 1 and most 4G have it, so it's not an issue. Costs might be an issue, though.
The roaming charges can be a nasty surprise. Check with your carrier to see what their arrangements for overseas use are.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
We've done exactly this.

I was landing in T1 an hour or so before Mrs. Milepig was due to land in T2. (Award flights, using up miles, enough said).

I checked both our bags under my flight (*Gold so no bag charge) so we'd be good to go.

I claimed the bags, cleared immigration and took the shuttle over to T2. It was a fast clearance, so I had time go go to the JT2 R ticket office and all the tickets we'd need. I was prepared with a list of dates and train numbers, so the agent just went down the list in no time and issued the tickets.

Mrs. Milepig was emerging just after I got back to the T2 immigration exit, we went downstairs and hopped on the NEX.

Not an issue.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milepig
We've done exactly this.
By “exactly” you mean with ordinary tickets and accompanying seat reservations, surely?

I thought one couldn’t exchange somebody else’s JR Pass Exchange Order for a JR Pass without that person being there to show their passport and the temporary visitor stamp within it. Or am I missing something here?
Old Jun 1, 2019, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by LapLap
By “exactly” you mean with ordinary tickets and accompanying seat reservations, surely?

I thought one couldn’t exchange somebody else’s JR Pass Exchange Order for a JR Pass without that person being there to show their passport and the temporary visitor stamp within it. Or am I missing something here?
You can do the JRPass exchange without everyone being there, but you need everyone ‘s passport and exchange order
Old Jun 1, 2019, 5:46 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
In this case, OP won't be able to take her husband's passport bearing a temporary visitor sticker to the JR office until she meets up with her husband.
LapLap likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by LapLap

Sorry. Exactly except for the JR Pass. But the broad strokes are the same, the first one landing won’t be able to do the JR pass part.
LapLap likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.