Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kyoto to Tokyo: cheaper alternative to shinkansen

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2019, 5:05 pm

Programs: Watergate
Originally Posted by siw
When I searched Hyperdia I found that the three Tōkaidō Shinkansen services (Nozomi, Hikari and Kodama) are all the same price. We still prefer the shinkansen and it is the fastest and simplest, we were just suprised at the price and wanted advice on alternativers.

Do the train ticket offices accept Mastercard? Japan is a cash, rather than credit/debit card, dominant country.

Thanks
There are kiosks you can buy shinkansen tickets (and all JR tickets) from. They have an English option, and they take all credit cards.

Japan being cashless is more or less untrue. Really small shops or rural places will use it, sure, but in Tokyo and Kyoto you could probably use your card to do every single thing you want. I carried 20-30k yen with me as backup cash but I ended up using only a few thousand.
Old May 17, 2019, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by RichardNixon
There are kiosks you can buy shinkansen tickets (and all JR tickets) from. They have an English option, and they take all credit cards.

Japan being cashless is more or less untrue. Really small shops or rural places will use it, sure, but in Tokyo and Kyoto you could probably use your card to do every single thing you want. I carried 20-30k yen with me as backup cash but I ended up using only a few thousand.
Absolutely not true. So, how do you insert your credit card into the machine where you buy a ticket for ramen?
Old May 17, 2019, 5:58 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

ANA's Experience Japan Fare is about half the price of a bullet train 7,500 (about $70) yen from Tokyo to KIX (Itami or Kansai) which are easy to get to from Kyoto. I would book one of those

https://www.ana.co.jp/en/es/promotio...experience_jp/
Old May 18, 2019, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Absolutely not true. So, how do you insert your credit card into the machine where you buy a ticket for ramen?
Still plenty of fair sized 100yen stores (Daiso & Can-Do) that only take cash.
Old May 18, 2019, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

@siw

Seriously, ask your friends, family, colleagues if they have Tesco Club currency/points they can give or sell you
Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios | 2019 edition
Post #9

Basically, you need £22.50 in Tesco Clubcard vouchers to make up the 4,500 miles required for a Kanto-Kansai flight. And then a couple of quid for the taxes & fees.
Old May 18, 2019, 2:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Japan being cashless is more or less untrue. Really small shops or rural places will use it, sure, but in Tokyo and Kyoto you could probably use your card to do every single thing you wan
I disagree. Maybe Japan is cashless for the Japanese.
With foreign credit cards - you really have a problem getting them accepted in stores and ATMs.
Old May 18, 2019, 3:30 am
siw
Original Poster

Programs: AF-KL Platinum, ALL Platinum
On a slightly different topic, which I hope you can advise me.

We fly into KIX and will take the Limited Express Haruka train operated by JR West directly to Kyoto. I am a little confused as to the best ticket to buy. Either a Haruka one-way ticket each. Or there is an Icoca & Haruke set (https://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/ticket/icoca-haruka/). Should I buy two of these on our arrival at KIX so that the Icoca card gives us local train access in Kyoto? We are staying near Kyoto train station but will need to use trains to Arashiyama, Inari etc. I think the Icoca Card is like an Oyster Card we have here in London. We will then take the Platt Kodama from Kyoto to Tokyo, pre-purchase two tickets the day before. For travelling around Tokyo can we use the Icoca Card or can we only use the Sucia card (https://www.jreast.co.jp/e/pass/suica.html#suicaMap)? Or just by local (e.g. Yamanote line) train tickets as we need them? We fly out of NRT so the Access Narita bus (THE ACCESS NARITA) from Tokyo station is our best option.

Thanks
Old May 18, 2019, 3:34 am
siw
Original Poster

Programs: AF-KL Platinum, ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by LapLap
@siw

Seriously, ask your friends, family, colleagues if they have Tesco Club currency/points they can give or sell you
Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios | 2019 edition
Post #9

Basically, you need £22.50 in Tesco Clubcard vouchers to make up the 4,500 miles required for a Kanto-Kansai flight. And then a couple of quid for the taxes & fees.
I only have 2,960 Avios on my BAEC account because I had a recent BA flight. I'm a SkyTeam flyer not a oneWorld flyer. Not sure we have an Tesco Points because we use the Sainsburys Nector Card. Would your recommendation be booked at the BA or the JAL websites?
Old May 18, 2019, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

If you have avios then you will need to use the BAEC account.

You could buy any miles needed.

Regards

TBS
LapLap likes this.
Old May 18, 2019, 4:51 am
tt7

Originally Posted by siw
On a slightly different topic, which I hope you can advise me.

We fly into KIX and will take the Limited Express Haruka train operated by JR West directly to Kyoto. I am a little confused as to the best ticket to buy. Either a Haruka one-way ticket each. Or there is an Icoca & Haruke set (https://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/ticket/icoca-haruka/). Should I buy two of these on our arrival at KIX so that the Icoca card gives us local train access in Kyoto?
Get an ICOCA card and use it for local trains, subway, buses, vending machines, left luggage lockers, convenience stores (7-11, Family Mart, Lawson etc.), cafes and some shops and restaurants, both in Kyoto and Tokyo. Top it up (cash only) at ticket machines. If you have an iPhone 8 or later, you can add a virtual Suica card (but not an ICOCA) to Apple Wallet and top it up with any card you have in Apple Pay. Suica is issued by JR East and is the Tokyo version of an ICOCA.

The ICOCA + Haruka package gives you a discounted Haruka ticket, so it’s worthwhile if you need an ICOCA (i.e., you don’t have an iPhone and/or want the discounted Haruka ticket) though it’s a non-reserved seat (which is usually not an issue). Note that there are cheaper, though slower, trains from KIX to Kyoto.
Old May 18, 2019, 4:57 am
tt7

You can use an ICOCA in Tokyo and a Suica in Kyoto (and vice versa). For the visitor, they’re interchangeable - see this discussion of IC cards.
Old May 18, 2019, 5:07 am
tt7

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
..... for commuter trains I always use ticket machine and pay cash. Ticket machine for commuter trains do not accept credit card. Never stood in line at manned ticket window to purchase 200 yen ticket from Shinjuku to Shinagawa using credit card...
.....neither have I - I always use the Suica on my iPhone (as I did five times today).
Old May 18, 2019, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by siw
I only have 2,960 Avios on my BAEC account because I had a recent BA flight. I'm a SkyTeam flyer not a oneWorld flyer. Not sure we have an Tesco Points because we use the Sainsburys Nector Card. Would your recommendation be booked at the BA or the JAL websites?
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

If you have avios then you will need to use the BAEC account.

You could buy any miles needed.

Regards

TBS
Currently on offer so you get a 50% bonus when purchasing.
https://www.britishairways.com/trave...club/_gf/en_gb
Means that the 1,500 AVIOS you need would cost £31

I’m sure there is a way to get them more cheaply (and some trick to get the other 40Avios you’d be missing). But you’d be best off asking in the BA Executive Club forum. It’s about £7.50 worth of Tesco Clubcard vouchers that you are short on, I’d bet someone you know has them.
siw likes this.
Old May 18, 2019, 9:05 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
I think you can get 5,000 Avios by taking a BA AMEX card and spending £1,000 in the first three months.
LapLap likes this.
Old May 18, 2019, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Yes, for long distance train tickets. For commuter train tickets, no. But again, for commuter trains I always use ticket machine and pay cash. Ticket machine for commuter trains do not accept credit card. Never stood in line at manned ticket window to purchase 200 yen ticket from Shinjuku to Shinagawa using credit card...
I have. Once. I took a commuter express to Koganei in Tochigi which is a "local" train (regular base fare with window bench seats) + 1 double decker Green car with reserved seating fee if you don't want to be mashed up into an armpit during commute hours. The ticketing agent looked at me a bit funny because it is a regular ticket but I thought it was a Ltd Exp or Rapid seeing as there's a green car and it takes 1 hr 20 min from Ueno. He still sold me the ticket and I paid with a credit card. So there you go It is possible.

@siw you can also get a discounted 1,600 JPY o/w Haruka ticket from Klook and exchange the voucher at non-JR counter "Limon" at arrivals https://www.klook.com/en-US/activity...tickets-osaka/ The Haruka only departs a couple times per hour and KIX JR office can have a longer line which may cause you to miss the best timed train. I try to avoid airport JR ticket offices on arrival for the sake of efficiency but some people feel they are easier to find & interact with (staff deals mostly with JR pass & tourists).
Klook also offer a bus option with voucher exchange from HIS https://www.klook.com/en-US/activity...ransfer-kyoto/ or you could book on arrival directly for 71 yen more Kyoto Station/Kyoto city/Highway Kyotanabe | Time table/Fares | [Official] Kansai International Airport Limousine Bus/ Time Table/ Bus Stop/ Fare/ Route List (Kansai Airport Transportation Enterprise) . Kate's office or ticket vending machine would probably be faster.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.