Wiki Posts
Search

Off to Kyoto and running out of steam.

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2019, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest, Hilton
Off to Kyoto and running out of steam.

can anyone recommend maybe 2-3 sites in Kyoto to see. I’ve read many guides but don’t want to spend all day on bus. I have a pass to Katsura Villa but if it’s like the Tokyo imperial Palace I would skip walking the grounds. If not, any interesting craftsman areas to walk and shop?
Old May 10, 2019, 6:18 pm

1. Kiyomizudera, then walk down along shop-lined street that slopes down to Gion.
2. Fushimi Inari
3. kinkakuji
4. Arashiyama

you can do 1&2, or 3&4, or 1-3
1-3 doable, but maybe a bit too much in summer time.

mphall likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 6:21 pm

Duplicate
mphall likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Do not skip the Katsura Villa. It is outstanding, and since you'll be in a guided group, there will be nobody else on the grounds besides your group, so all your photographs will be devoid of other people. You cannot walk the grounds by yourself.
jib71 likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 7:23 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I'd definitely avoid the Imperial Palace. It is always a crowded zoo, even though participation in a guided tour is required. I much prefer Nijo Castle.

The slope referenced above below Kiyomizu-dera is Sannenzaka Slope (or Pottery Slope.) The little pottery shops and other handi-work shops are certainly worth a look.
Old May 11, 2019, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
The slope referenced above below Kiyomizu-dera is Sannenzaka Slope (or Pottery Slope.) The little pottery shops and other handi-work shops are certainly worth a look.
There are two streets that lead to Kiyomizudera. The lower one that leads to the temple from Gojo is the pottery shop one you're talking about. I was actually talking about the upper one that leads down to Gion, which is far more crowded and touristy and mainly has food and trinkets. I can't say I've entered any of those pottery and craft stores, but yes it may definitely be worth a look if you're interested.
Old May 11, 2019, 12:58 am
Original Poster

Admission?

Is there an admission fee for Buddhist?
Old May 11, 2019, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by mphall
Is there an admission fee for Buddhist?
Don't understand this question. If you are asking if Buddhist temples have an entrance fee to visit, then it varies. Most require a modest fee of a few hundred yen, anywhere from 200 to 600.
mphall likes this.
Old May 11, 2019, 5:52 am
siw

Programs: AF-KL Platinum, ALL Platinum
I am also going to Kyoto in a few weeks. To see these places over a couple of days is there a some sort of one-day or multi-day bus/train ticket that can get me around for a sensible price? Or must taxis must be used? The distances are too great to walk.
mphall likes this.
Old May 11, 2019, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by siw
I am also going to Kyoto in a few weeks. To see these places over a couple of days is there a some sort of one-day or multi-day bus/train ticket that can get me around for a sensible price? Or must taxis must be used? The distances are too great to walk.
Hi,

Some advice on passes here,

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2363.html#section_passes

Regards

TBS
Old May 11, 2019, 7:59 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
IMO Katsura Villa is a ton nicer than Tokyo Imperial grounds.

Arashiyama area has a solid day's worth of things to do in the immediate vicinity if you haven't already been there.

I am not aware of any waiving of admission fees for Buddhists.
Old May 11, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by siw
One day bus passes can be purchased at the Traveler Information office in Kyoto Station. I don't remember what it cost but was quite reasonable.
Old May 11, 2019, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

k loop bus

This bus hasn’t started running yet but it might soon. We decided today to get a taxi to see the sites we picked out. I’ll let you know.
Old May 11, 2019, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by mphall
This bus hasn’t started running yet but it might soon. We decided today to get a taxi to see the sites we picked out. I’ll let you know.
Taxi might be the right option if you can afford it. If you're staying near Kyoto Station, other than taxi there's no good way to go to Kiyomizudera unless you combine it with Fushimi Inari which you can get to by direct train from Kyoto Sta then from there take Keihan train up to Gojo and walk from there. As for Kinkakuji, there's no way to get there from anywhere. Buses are slow and often crowded, although it really is the only way to get to Kinkakuji unless you have the taxi option. Are you chartering a taxi/driver for a certain period of time? I'd like to know how much something like that would cost.
mphall likes this.
Old May 11, 2019, 4:20 pm

Actually, the 100/101/102 (Raku) tourist buses go to all of those places. You do have to be careful and avoid getting on the regular route buses, which tend to be crowded and slow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.