Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

No more transfer security at NRT for pax ex-US connecting to international flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more transfer security at NRT for pax ex-US connecting to international flights

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2019, 4:10 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond

According to this NHK article (sorry in Japanese only) passengers originating in the US and connecting to international flights will no longer be required to clear transfer security at NRT. The arrangement is expected to start next week. Similar arrangements (One Stop Security) are already in place at a number of airports in Europe.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/201...909411000.html
Spiff likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 5:12 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Wonder if they still check boarding pass or an itinerary of a transferring passenger? Beside security check, another purpose of transit check was to make sure passenger is departing from NRT that day. NRT is not 24 hrs. airport and the terminals close at night. They want to make sure transiting passengers are departing NRT that day, not next day nor few days later.

The article on NHK said that Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport, and Tourism says securities on flights from the U.S. is done sufficiently. Interesting to say that because I think it was last year that a middle age women carried a box of a gun bullets in her carry on from the U.S. and she realized she had bullets when she arrived in Japan.

I think there was some political mumble jumble went on between Japan and the U.S. behind the scene. I think there are many other countries which preform passenger security screening on the same level as what is done at the U.S. airports.
Old May 9, 2019, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
I think there are many other countries which preform passenger security screening on the same level as what is done at the U.S. airports.
That would be quite worrying, given the TSA's 95% failure rate...
Spiff likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 6:15 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Sure, I agree with that but I did not want to take this thread fast into OMNI so I did not say "many other countries do far better jobs than TSA at the U.S. airports does."
Spiff likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 7:00 pm

I wonder if this means you can freely go between Intl-arrival and Intl-departure zones both ways, provided you stepped off a flight from US.
If so, I could stop by ANA departure lounge on Intl-Dom transit.
I could stop by ANA lounge first to shower, then time-permitting enter Jpn, then back out to airside on Intl-Intl transit.
Old May 9, 2019, 7:38 pm
mjm
Original Member

I think there was some political mumble jumble went on between Japan and the U.S. behind the scene.
This sounds like a very likely scenario.

I think there are many other countries which preform passenger security screening on the same level as what is done at the U.S. airports.
Very true.
Old May 10, 2019, 4:49 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by evergrn
I wonder if this means you can freely go between Intl-arrival and Intl-departure zones both ways, provided you stepped off a flight from US.
I would expect that valid boarding passes for departing flights will still be required to enter the departure zone.
If not, then arriving passengers from the US with club memberships have effectively acquired a new arrivals lounge. Wahey!
Old May 10, 2019, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by evergrn
When NRT opened in 1978 that was the way airport was setup. International arrival passengers were not segregated from departing passengers, merged into departure gate area upon arrival. Then later they changed to segregation of arrival and departure passengers like it is set up today.

If NRT Airport authority will get rid of segregation of arrival and departure then one likely possibility is that departing flights to the U.S. will have additional security at departure gate, where the U.S. will claim that there are transit passengers who originated from a country with insufficient security details. Such is already taking place at airports elsewhere not in Japan. Current setup of arriving transit passengers going through security get rid of that need, but looks like the U.S. used its muscle and told Japanese authority that passengers arriving from the U.S. should not have to go through the security.
Old May 10, 2019, 9:47 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
Original Poster

In European countries where One-Stop Security (OSS) has been implemented for a number of years, one of the main drivers is commercial. Eliminating transfer security for passengers from the US makes NRT more desirable than say ICN or TPE. Some airports cannot implement OSS in full due to the layout of arrival and departure gate areas.

OSS is implemented in full between most EU countries (the main exception is the UK) as well as for arrivals from the US, Canada, and Singapore. Countries currently in negotiation with the EU include Hong Kong, Israel and Japan.
:D!, diablo_josito and Spiff like this.
Old May 10, 2019, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
From a security point of view, you need to physically segregate US arriving pax from pax arriving other countries. Just letting pax with US boarding passes and identification skip security won't work if US arriving pax can mingle with pax from other countries before security. Given that I suspect that this will be implemented by allowing pax with an ongoing boarding passes to exit directly into the departure area on the 3rd floor after exiting the jet bridge rather than being required to take the escalators/stairs up to secure arrivals areas on the 4th floor. Additionally there will be security to prevent pax from going back down, once they have gone up to the 4th floor unless they go back through security.
jib71 and drewguy like this.
Old May 10, 2019, 1:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I know there was the transit security checkpoint at NRT T1 before NW merged with DL in about 2008, but I also remember flying NW through NRT in the 1990s before T1 was remodeled, when the small lounge was landside and one needed to pay some airport departure tax in cash, even just to use the lounge during a connection. Later that tax was included in the total ticket price, so it became a bit harder to go landside for an hour or so, and then the NW Worldclub(s) moved to airside.

It's ironic that the transfer security rule is being changed just as carriers are eagerly moving their Tokyo operations from NRT to HND.
Old May 12, 2019, 6:53 am

Programs: A3*G, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's ironic that the transfer security rule is being changed just as carriers are eagerly moving their Tokyo operations from NRT to HND.
This is in fact part of why I suspect this is being implemented... though it will be interesting to see how many flights are left after 24 frequencies go to HND next year (12 US carrier, 12 JP carrier)
Old May 13, 2019, 3:15 am
Original Poster

According to this website (also in Japanese) OSS started today (13 May) but only for passengers arriving on 17 flights operated by 8 airlines (JL, NH, DL, UA, AA, HA, SQ, KE). It will be gradually extended to cover all 50 or so flights arriving from the US.

Originally Posted by hamburgler
... though it will be interesting to see how many flights are left after 24 frequencies go to HND next year (12 US carrier, 12 JP carrier)
According to the figure mentioned above about one half of the current US arrivals will still remain in NRT.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
TK has a similar arrangement at IST for flights arriving from the USA - no transit security for pax arriving from the USA and connecting to another international flight. Personnel were on the jet bridge checking the onward boarding passes to make sure that the people truly had an onward international flight. This occurred last November at the old IST airport.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: A3*G, DL Platinum
Came in recently on NH from SEA and got a dreaded bus arrival... no signs of any changes and transfer passengers have to go through security. Bus arrivals are probably the trickiest setup as there really is not a route setup to go directly to departures. Jetway arrivals on the other hand can adjust pretty easily to split transfers and just send out through the departure gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.