Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Okinawa/Naha worth 1 day stopover?

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2019, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Okinawa/Naha worth 1 day stopover?

I'm connecting in OKA on the way to Ishigaki in October, and have to overnight in Naha because I arrive into OKA too late to make a same day connection to ISG. I am thinking of either taking the first flight out of OKA the next day at 07:35, or spending the day in OKA and catching the last flight out at 19:30.

Do you think OKA is worth the 1 day stopover, which would leave me with 3 full days in ISG? Or would you try to spend the full 4 days in ISG? I did a bit of reading, and the two unique sights in Okinawa seem to be the War Memorials and Shuri Castle - are they worth it?

Thanks all.
Old May 4, 2019, 7:24 pm

I think everyone will have different opinion on this. I spent 3 nights in Naha but I felt the food and hospitality were subpar for Jpn and the only thing interesting in the city itself was hanging out on the touristy street Kokusai Dori. I went to Shuri castle... I’m just not into seeing old buildings and such, but anyways it is certainly no Himeji castle or Itsukushina shrine. I did like riding the monorail to shuri, as you got the sense of hovering over the city. The main island has a lot to offer by way of beaches, sceneries and watersports if you rented a car or hired a tour. But I’m sure all of that is better on Ishigaki island. If it were me, I’d maximize my time at Ishigaki.
Old May 5, 2019, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I really disliked Kokusai Dori.
Found some of the original walls on a walk to the ferry terminal (EDIT TO ADD - The Stone Gate of the Old Sogenji Temple), these were a highlight for us but that doesn’t really make much of a recommendation. I don’t feel we got to know Naha much at all with our own day there (Zamamijima, on the other hand, we LOVED and will certainly return).

We spent some time in Naha before and after our ferry trip and didn’t really get a grip on it.
On the other hand, our flight back to HND left after 4pm and we spent a really lovely day at the Senagajima Hotel on Senagajima “island” (just by the airport). Lunch buffet was first class - and affordable - and the Ryukyu Onsen (and salt sauna) was excellent. I liked the boutique shops at this resort too (umikaji terrace), the antithesis of Kokusai Dori.
We arrived to this hotel as visitors in the morning, they stashed our luggage, and we were free to roam around and use the facilities until we boarded the complimentary shuttle to the monorail station and, from there, a short hop to the airport.
Another experience we would certainly repeat.

Last edited by LapLap; May 10, 2019 at 5:31 am
Old May 5, 2019, 9:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SF_trotter
I'm connecting in OKA on the way to Ishigaki in October, and have to overnight in Naha because I arrive into OKA too late to make a same day connection to ISG. I am thinking of either taking the first flight out of OKA the next day at 07:35, or spending the day in OKA and catching the last flight out at 19:30.

Do you think OKA is worth the 1 day stopover, which would leave me with 3 full days in ISG? Or would you try to spend the full 4 days in ISG? I did a bit of reading, and the two unique sights in Okinawa seem to be the War Memorials and Shuri Castle - are they worth it?

Thanks all.
its probably a good way to sort out a been there done that issue. i could spend 2 days in the northern part of the okinawa island, but 1 day will be fine. (there's a aquarium that my sister still likes visiting but its skippable for most others)
Old May 10, 2019, 4:48 am

Programs: NH Dia/SFlyer, JL Crystal/JGC, MB Plat, WoHyatt Glob, IHG Dia Amb, HHonors Dia
If you are into „old buildings“ or gardens than have a look at the UNESCO sites in Okinawa. Most of them in the southern part. Well worth a visit and spending a day learning more about Ryukyu history. Okinawan food is also great, ... in my opinion.
Old May 10, 2019, 5:04 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
My vote is for 4 days in ISG

With your overnight stop in Naha, you have time to see the Sonohyan-utaki Stone Gate and a bar or two in downtown Naha
https://www.visitokinawa.jp/about-ok...world-heritage
https://en.compathy.net/magazine/201...awa-nightlife/

I've been around the other castle ruins, peace park, etc. on the main island. With just four days in total, I would not devote one day to those sites, unless I had a particular interest in paying respects to those who fought in WW2 or exploring the ruins of castles from the Ryukyu Kingdom:
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture.../#.XNVaWS-ZNQI

YMMV.
evergrn likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 7:09 am

Programs: NH Dia/SFlyer, JL Crystal/JGC, MB Plat, WoHyatt Glob, IHG Dia Amb, HHonors Dia
If time is limited I still recommend to do the Shuri Castle and the Shikinaen Garden.
Old May 14, 2019, 10:07 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold, Accor Gold
If you're interested in war history then it's definitely worth visiting the Himeyuri museum and general war museum/peace park, it provides a very personal view of how the war affected the people of Okinawa and it's a view of history that's usually ignored overseas. It was very emotional.

The only issue is that the train service is incredibly limited in Okinawa and you'll have to either rent a car or plan to use busses (a real hassle but doable) or taxis (expensive) to get around. Most of the interesting historical and tourist sites are kind of far from Naha.
Old May 18, 2019, 8:36 pm

Depends what you plan to do in Ishigaki but the main island is definitely worth a day. I personally didn't like Shuri Castle that much but the WW2 sites were fascinating and the aquarium is pretty nice too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.