Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Apartment Hotels?

Apartment Hotels?

Old Apr 16, 19, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX Marco Polo Green (hahaha)
Apartment Hotels?

I'm travelling to Osaka later this year with the GF and her daughter, which is a big change from my usual manner of travelling around Japan on my own. To that end, I've decided that we probably need a lot more space in a hotel room than I'm previously used to. While searching for lodging in Osaka, I've noticed a lot of places that called themselves apartment hotels. To me, they seem like AirBnB places except that they're available on websites like booking.com and hotels.com. Has anyone stayed in one and if so, what were your experiences? Are they legal or do they exist in a sort of grey area that AirBnBs themselves exist in? Are there any issues with immigration or customs if one were to put one of these places down as one's address while in Japan?

As you can tell, I much prefer hotels but it's a bit difficult to find lodging with a separate living room or bedroom in Osaka. In general, it seems like more of these places are showing up when searching for lodging compared to previous years.
Old Apr 16, 19, 6:52 pm

(just a note)
airbnb is legal in japan, no longer in a gray limbo state

airbnb hosts are registered with the government, must take a copy of every guests' passport (same for any lodging in japan)
https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/...-home-in-japan

traditionally, you'll be looking for a suite at a (typically western) hotel
Westin Osaka has some, about twice the price compared to a regular room 18k vs 30k yen
Junior suite | The Westin Osaka | 7 mins walk hotel from Osaka Sta. [Official web site]

IC osaka has some too
https://www.icosaka.com/pdf/en/stay/...Suite_1018.pdf
https://www.icosaka.com/pdf/en/stay/...suite_1018.pdf
Old Apr 16, 19, 8:10 pm

Programs: United, Hilton
How old is your GF's daughter?
Do you need to have a separate room (ie, suite), or can you make do with larger hotel rooms (eg, >30m2 hotel room)?
Old Apr 16, 19, 10:30 pm

There's a Fraser Residence location in Osaka and Citadines in Kyoto. Both are international serviced apart'hotel chains.
Old Apr 16, 19, 10:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
An apartment hotel is a (usually dedicated) building of fully furnished serviced apartments, which means that the place has towels, dishes, etc. and limited housekeeping service, typically once a week. There's likely to be a staffed front desk which can provide some concierge services. You can rent these apartments for pretty much any period you want (i.e., not necessarily full months with move out/in around the 1st of the month) but there might be a minimum stay and stays less than thirty days are likely to be more expensive on a per night basis. They're somewhat like an extended stay hotel such as Residence Inn in the USA but without the evening reception (except on rare special nights) and probably without a breakfast option even at additional cost.
Old Apr 17, 19, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post
Airbnb is legal in japan, no longer in a gray limbo state
Thanks for that, paperwastage. I'm not a big AirBnB user, so I wasn't aware.

Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post
traditionally, you'll be looking for a suite at a (typically western) hotel
I looked at those but the price is a bit out of our budget, especially for the IC. Thanks for the suggestions, nonetheless.

Originally Posted by evergrn View Post
How old is your GF's daughter?
Do you need to have a separate room (ie, suite), or can you make do with larger hotel rooms (eg, >30m2 hotel room)?
She'll be eight when we are in Osaka. We don't need a separate room but ideally, we would like one. This is part of a two week trip to Asia and I always find it nice to have a separate room, even if it's just a living room. This allows the adults to stay up later and watch TV while not disturbing the younger one when she is sleeping. Outside of the major international chains, I've found rooms in Japanese hotels to obviously be on the small side and with a two week trip, we'll have a substantial amount of luggage.

Originally Posted by freecia View Post
There's a Fraser Residence location in Osaka and Citadines in Kyoto. Both are international serviced apart'hotel chains.
I actually stayed at the Fraser Residence on my first trip to Osaka as an adult about seven years ago. The prices are higher than I recall them being but I am seriously considering them again. They seem legitimate with a front desk, restaurant, etc. whereas some of the places I've looked at require you to check in virtually and don't have a staff presence on site. Also, the ability to walk across the street to Namba Station to catch the train to KIX is very appealing, as opposed to getting a taxi from a random street to a station and then onto KIX or ITM.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
An apartment hotel is a (usually dedicated) building of fully furnished serviced apartments, which means that the place has towels, dishes, etc. and limited housekeeping service, typically once a week. There's likely to be a staffed front desk which can provide some concierge services. You can rent these apartments for pretty much any period you want (i.e., not necessarily full months with move out/in around the 1st of the month) but there might be a minimum stay and stays less than thirty days are likely to be more expensive on a per night basis. They're somewhat like an extended stay hotel such as Residence Inn in the USA but without the evening reception (except on rare special nights) and probably without a breakfast option even at additional cost.
I think what you're describing is closer to what freecia suggested with established chains like Fraser Residences or Citadines. I am also familiar with properties like that. However, these apartment hotels that I have seen look more like fly by night organisations. As mentioned above, some of the ones I have looked at don't have a front desk and also have some weird policies like emailing in a copy of your passport for verification. I'm sure they're legal but I also don't exactly feel reassured in the case of any sort of emergency. I was just wondering if someone had stayed in one of these places before.

As a footnote, I actually do have a reservation with a place called Ostays, up near Umeda Station but what's strange is that they emailed me after my booking with Hotels.com to mention a booking fee of •110000, which is more than the booking itself. I've emailed for clarification as to whether this is an additional fee or a deposit.

Thanks for everyone's input.
Old Apr 17, 19, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A Japanese Hotel with futons should be able to accommodate you without it becoming too expensive.
We’ve shared rooms (mum, dad, similarly aged daughter AND granddad) at hotels in Matsushima and Hakone. Last year it was me, kid and granddad in Zamamijima in Okinawa.
We just had four futons in a standard room at the Sohkan hotel in Matsushima this Sunday.

At 8, your friend’s daughter should still come under the free or discounted particularly if sharing bedding kids policy for a number of hotels.

Tokyu Stay is another Aparthotel option chain.

Can’t look further as I am just about to wrench everyone into consiousness now as we are off to Disney Sea. The Tokyo Disney Resort online booking website SUCKS, especially if you’ve used it before. Not relevant, but given your companions it’s likely to be. Best avoided if possible.
Old Apr 17, 19, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LapLap View Post
A Japanese Hotel with futons should be able to accommodate you without it becoming too expensive.
Weíve shared rooms (mum, dad, similarly aged daughter AND granddad) at hotels in Matsushima and Hakone. Last year it was me, kid and granddad in Zamamijima in Okinawa.
We just had four futons in a standard room at the Sohkan hotel in Matsushima this Sunday.
And everyone managed without getting extremely sick of each other?

I will certainly consider a regular hotel room for the three of us but it's just that some of these apartment hotels are reasonably priced but with drawbacks that I have mentioned in previous posts. Maybe my need for space is a reflection of the fact that I've been living in the West too long.

Tokyu Stay is another Aparthotel option chain.
I totally forgot about them but it looks like they only have hotels in Kyoto and not Osaka. They have two properties in Fukuoka, which was a destination I considered for this trip but I think we're going to try to stick to Kansai.

Canít look further as I am just about to wrench everyone into consiousness now as we are off to Disney Sea. The Tokyo Disney Resort online booking website SUCKS, especially if youíve used it before. Not relevant, but given your companions itís likely to be. Best avoided if possible.
Ha! Best of luck there and hope you all have a fun time at the Disney parks in Tokyo. We're going to be in Hong Kong for a week prior to Osaka, so we'll either do Disney there or do Universal Studios in Osaka. I've told her we can only go to one but it's her choice.
LapLap likes this.
Old Apr 17, 19, 7:13 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by LapLap View Post
Canít look further as I am just about to wrench everyone into consiousness now as we are off to Disney Sea. The Tokyo Disney Resort online booking website SUCKS, especially if youíve used it before. Not relevant, but given your companions itís likely to be. Best avoided if possible.
+1

Such a nice resort, such a horrible booking web site. I'd call the TDR web site "pretty", but really really buggy - shockingly so.
LapLap likes this.
Old Apr 17, 19, 10:00 pm

Programs: United, Hilton
I did a search on Rakuten (Jpn version), plugging in 5 consecutive nights on a random week in Sept.
These are places I got that are: 1).<100,000yen total for 5 nights for 2+1; 2).<10min walk from a station; 3).>4.0 Rakuten review scores; 4).>40m2
I trust any place bookable through Rakuten Travel that has >4.0 rating. I haven't looked into whether any of these rooms have separate living room, though.

https://www.live-artex.co.jp/ja-jp
(64m2 room is 64,000yen total)

https://minn.asia
(46m2 room is 56,000yen total)

https://www.osaka-baytower.com
(40m2 room is 71,000yen total)

https://oakwood.jp/shinosaka/
(45m2 room is 78,000yen total)

https://www.hotelwing.co.jp/shinosaka
(43m2 family room is 81,000yen total)
Old Apr 18, 19, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mnbp View Post
+1

Such a nice resort, such a horrible booking web site. I'd call the TDR web site "pretty", but really really buggy - shockingly so.
We tried to buy print at home tickets the night before. Failed.
Tried again that morning. Failed.
Way over an hour wasted
Wanted to use a particular credit card in person at the booking booth at the park - but they can only scan the magnetic strip on the card and cannot use the chip and pin feature. Failed.
Had to hand over a different card we would have preferred not to use.
Bah.

As I said, terrible, terrible website.

Disney Sea itself was fantastic. Weather was marvellous, crowds were low, and by having visited once a year for the past 6/7 years, we were familiar enough with the procedures to get optimum use out of our fast pass privileges. We only waited twice all day (Toy Story and Nemo), about 60 minutes each, and LapChild made friends with a Norwegian group in one queue, and with an Australian couple in the other, so those queues went by quickly and enjoyably.
Left at park closing time, stopped somewhere local to where we are staying to eat and brushed teeth and in our futons just after midnight.
Felt like a holiday within a holiday.

Weekday, mid April, some sunshine, can’t imagine a better time to visit Disney Sea.
Old Apr 18, 19, 6:13 pm

A little too late to help LapLap (and possibly the wrong currencies) but do you get fastpass access earlier by booking tickets from Tokyo Disney website?

I also see currently offered on klook.com with airport exchange for physical ticket
https://www.klook.com/en-US/activity...neyland-japan/ - pickup at HND, NRT, TPE for 1 day which isn't exactly same day pickup IMO
2 day option has a pickup location in Shinjuku M-Sat "The counter is closed on Sundays and during public holidays in 2019 (Please note that the counter will be closed during 28 Apr-6 May 2019 for the GW Holiday)" https://www.klook.com/activity/695-t...ay-pass-tokyo/ - 1 day in ICN, TPE; 2 day in NRT, HND, Shinjuku

They used to offer pick up at Maihama but I guess Disney got a little miffed as it is no longer being offered https://www.klook.com/en-US/activity...emption-tokyo/

Klook iOS app takes Apple Pay and doesn't charge a merchant dcc fee.
https://www.klook.com/faq

Which currencies does Klook accept?

Klook displays activity prices in a number of currencies including USD, HKD, SGD, TWD, EUR, GBP and more which you can change using the currency drop down menu. However, we currently only accept transactions in USD, HKD, SGD, CNY, TWD (excluding AMEX card), MYR, KRW, THB, PHP, VND, and IDR. For all other Southeast Asian currencies, you will be charged in SGD. All other displayed currencies will be charged in USD. Klook does not charge any service fees or additional fees. If for some reason you see any extra fees, please check with your credit card issuer.
https://tdrexplorer.com/buying-park-...#klook-voyagin also lists print-at-home tickets from voyagin. Or print-from-combini via USB-A thumb drive or phone app. 7-Eleven JP offers basic copy, print, and print photo-ish postcard (only 60 yen!) options in English https://www.city-cost.com/blogs/genk...Y-living_howto Voyagin still offers Maihama station pick up.
Old Apr 18, 19, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks freecia. I looked at Klook, but the pick up locations were unfeasible.

Then looked at Voyagin, despite the more expensive price I considered it, then realised I couldn’t see how one would book a child ticket.

We just need to be a bit more organised next time and arrange the tickets further in advance - perhaps buy them at the Disney store in Shibuya.
Was just really annoyed by the TDR website, which was annoying on many, MANY levels.
Hopefully, these posts will deter others from relying on it, particularly the day before!

—-
I do have a money (and time) saving tip for those visiting with children (or who need to buy for them). I find toy stores really disorientating and they have loads of temptations making it difficult to stick to budget. I’ve been picking up other children’s birthday presents using Amazon.jp in English and arranging pick up at a local convenience store (you get sent a tracking number and pinwhich you key into a machine at the store, hand in your receipt and get the package, often arriving overnight).
We’ve managed to get Licca dolls and full Re-ment (miniature food/utensil) sets with free delivery at about half the price offered at the central Tokyo toy stores.