Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Best Long Maricar [street kart] Course Around Tokyo?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Plat,Hilton Diamond,IHG Plat,WOH Glob,Radisson Gold,MGM Gold,Hertz Presidents Circle

I want to go on one course starting before dark and don't want the boat ride.
Any suggestions?

It has to have Shibuya Crossing and Tokyo and/or Rainbow Bridge(s).

Old Mar 26, 2019, 3:50 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
I ran into them while driving my rental Nissan in Naha. I am very impressed that these mario kart drivers are so brave.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Plat,Hilton Diamond,IHG Plat,WOH Glob,Radisson Gold,MGM Gold,Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by beep88
I ran into them while driving my rental Nissan in Naha. I am very impressed that these mario kart drivers are so brave.
Yeah, I read a Japanese local even saying it was a little terrifying.

I could never do something like that in this DC area traffic. We have like the worst traffic in the nation. Oddly enough, there are vehicles that low to the ground deemed as being motorcycles driving around here. One parks in my job's motorcycle lot.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Busymann
Yeah, I read a Japanese local even saying it was a little terrifying.

I could never do something like that in this DC area traffic. We have like the worst traffic in the nation. Oddly enough, there are vehicles that low to the ground deemed as being motorcycles driving around here. One parks in my job's motorcycle lot.
I've driven quite a lot in the past few years in both DC and Tokyo, and while I find Japanese drivers less selfish, traffic is still pretty bad. From a local's perspective, the idea of barely-legal go karts (many driven by foreign tourists with limited experience driving on the left, let alone knowledge of Japanese traffic regulations) is at the very least annoying, if not horrifying.

I mean, what do you think of the Segway tours in downtown DC? Now swap the Segways for go karts, going up and down Pennsylvania Avenue, Constitution Avenue, Memorial Bridge etc. in hordes...
I strongly advise against the experience--I mean, Maricar isn't even licensed by Nintendo, and are mired in a legal battle over the name "Maricar."
Old Mar 27, 2019, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JMBResona
I've driven quite a lot in the past few years in both DC and Tokyo, and while I find Japanese drivers less selfish, traffic is still pretty bad. From a local's perspective, the idea of barely-legal go karts (many driven by foreign tourists with limited experience driving on the left, let alone knowledge of Japanese traffic regulations) is at the very least annoying, if not horrifying.

I mean, what do you think of the Segway tours in downtown DC? Now swap the Segways for go karts, going up and down Pennsylvania Avenue, Constitution Avenue, Memorial Bridge etc. in hordes...
I strongly advise against the experience--I mean, Maricar isn't even licensed by Nintendo, and are mired in a legal battle over the name "Maricar."
They aren't mired in a legal battle and that shouldn't have anything to do with driving the karts.

The Segways aren't that much an issue. The bigger issue now are folks on Lime and other electric scooters. Just like with bicycles, they don't obey the rules of road or sidewalk. I just had a person on a electric scooter riding in the street in Alexandria.....the middle of the street.

I guess no one here has gone on the Maricars and that's cool. I just trying to pick ya brain cuz I'm only going once.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 6:45 pm

I've seen those things in Tokyo. It does look risky and I'm surprised there's not been an accident.
It seems like the clientele is 100% gaijin. Also everyone was wearing those stupid outfits, and so I wonder if you're allowed to decline it.
I've seen them get ripped apart on Japanese internet forums, although internet tends to bring out the worst in Jpn people so I ignore them.
I will say that these MarioCars seem to be extremely popular and everyone who's done it seems to rave about it.
So if you're willing to take some risks, I'd ignore the haters and just go for it.
Sorry, cannot help with any specific companies or routes. Isn't there one that does both Rainbow Bridge and Shibuya Crossing?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
I guess no one here has gone on the Maricars and that's cool. I just trying to pick ya brain cuz I'm only going once.
I have, back when they hadn't lost the case (yet) and we could still dress up in Mario costumes. Only went for the short night course though, Tokyo Station, Asakusa, SkyTree.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 7:58 pm

What are you asking? There are only two courses available and if you want to do both the Shibuya Crossing and Rainbow Bridge then that is the long Tokyo tour. The shorter tour only includes Shibuya Crossing. Their website is here: https://maricar.com/en/shinagawa.html#price
rickg523 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
They aren't mired in a legal battle and that shouldn't have anything to do with driving the karts.

The Segways aren't that much an issue. The bigger issue now are folks on Lime and other electric scooters. Just like with bicycles, they don't obey the rules of road or sidewalk. I just had a person on a electric scooter riding in the street in Alexandria.....the middle of the street.

Ah yes, the electric scooters...fond memories of being launched from a Lime that had stiff brakes :/ My glasses were shattered and I limped to a lecture with blood streaming out of my knees... But yeah, imagine those, same lack of awareness, etc. Of course, I'm sure you'll be following the rules, but the same can't be said for other riders unfortunately.

(with regards to the Nintendo thing, it seems that my knowledge was outdated...they apparently now have "NOT RELATED TO NINTENDO" plastered all over their karts lol. And yes, they aren't mired in a legal battle in that they were ordered to pay damages to Nintendo for their infringement.)

The fact remains that Maricar in its current state only exists because of a loophole between two laws - one that defines them as motorcycles (=no seatbelts required) and another that defines them as microcars (=no helmets required). They're only "fully compliant with regulations" insofar as they don't exist in the first place. There's been moves to regulate them more strictly (requiring modifications to improve visibility) but they'll only come into effect in 2020.

Yes, I understand that for you, it might be a one-time experience. But for the other cars that you'll share the road with, you're part of a daily nuisance that lurks in their blind spots.
Obviously if you ultimately decide to do it, it's up to you, and according to maricar it's part of the long course for \11,000.

There's also some alternatives -

You can rent a Toyota GT86 from Toyota Rent a Car \10,000/6 hrs, or a Mazda Miata for \16,000/6 hrs through Times Car Rental...they should both be reasonably safer, you get to pick your own route, and because they're actual cars, you can drive on the expressways (= drive on the top deck of the rainbow bridge, not the bottom)
kaka likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by evergrn
I've seen those things in Tokyo. It does look risky and I'm surprised there's not been an accident.
Originally Posted by evergrn
It seems like the clientele is 100% gaijin. Also everyone was wearing those stupid outfits, and so I wonder if you're allowed to decline it.
I've seen them get ripped apart on Japanese internet forums, although internet tends to bring out the worst in Jpn people so I ignore them.
I will say that these MarioCars seem to be extremely popular and everyone who's done it seems to rave about it.
So if you're willing to take some risks, I'd ignore the haters and just go for it.
Sorry, cannot help with any specific companies or routes. Isn't there one that does both Rainbow Bridge and Shibuya Crossing?

The outfits are optional and there have been accidents (I think 4, like karters running into stuff, one into a cyclist).
The only one I know of is Maricar. However, I've been soaking up info on Japan like crazy so who knows what else is there.

Originally Posted by shuigao
I have, back when they hadn't lost the case (yet) and we could still dress up in Mario costumes. Only went for the short night course though, Tokyo Station, Asakusa, SkyTree.
Did you like it? I've been trying to find Google Map routes for each one. The ones I found cover a ton of ground.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelbugging
What are you asking? There are only two courses available and if you want to do both the Shibuya Crossing and Rainbow Bridge then that is the long Tokyo tour. The shorter tour only includes Shibuya Crossing. Their website is here: https://maricar.com/en/shinagawa.html#price
My original post
I want to go on one course starting before dark and don't want the boat ride.
Any suggestions?

It has to have Shibuya Crossing and Tokyo and/or Rainbow Bridge(s).

My question is really aimed at folks that have driven a course or courses. Have you driven a course?

Also those aren't the only ones. I appreciate you trying to help but so far, only one person seems to have driven a Maricar that has responded.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JMBResona
Ah yes, the electric scooters...fond memories of being launched from a Lime that had stiff brakes :/ My glasses were shattered and I limped to a lecture with blood streaming out of my knees... But yeah, imagine those, same lack of awareness, etc. Of course, I'm sure you'll be following the rules, but the same can't be said for other riders unfortunately.

(with regards to the Nintendo thing, it seems that my knowledge was outdated...they apparently now have "NOT RELATED TO NINTENDO" plastered all over their karts lol. And yes, they aren't mired in a legal battle in that they were ordered to pay damages to Nintendo for their infringement.)

The fact remains that Maricar in its current state only exists because of a loophole between two laws - one that defines them as motorcycles (=no seatbelts required) and another that defines them as microcars (=no helmets required). They're only "fully compliant with regulations" insofar as they don't exist in the first place. There's been moves to regulate them more strictly (requiring modifications to improve visibility) but they'll only come into effect in 2020.

Yes, I understand that for you, it might be a one-time experience. But for the other cars that you'll share the road with, you're part of a daily nuisance that lurks in their blind spots.
Obviously if you ultimately decide to do it, it's up to you, and according to maricar it's part of the long course for \11,000.

There's also some alternatives -

You can rent a Toyota GT86 from Toyota Rent a Car \10,000/6 hrs, or a Mazda Miata for \16,000/6 hrs through Times Car Rental...they should both be reasonably safer, you get to pick your own route, and because they're actual cars, you can drive on the expressways (= drive on the top deck of the rainbow bridge, not the bottom)
Thanks anyway.....
Old Mar 28, 2019, 12:46 am

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Did you like it? I've been trying to find Google Map routes for each one. The ones I found cover a ton of ground.
Zipping past landmarks was lots of fun, but the stretches in between got boring really quickly once the novelty wore off. I can also see how it's kind of risky because you sit below most vehicles' window/door line (probably more so at night than in the daytime), and if you're in a decent-sized group the back gets separated from the front at traffic lights quite often. All in all I still enjoyed it enough to recommend to do once as a tourist, especially since it's only a matter of time before regulations catch up.
Busymann likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 3:32 am
Original Poster

Zipping past landmarks was lots of fun, but the stretches in between got boring really quickly once the novelty wore off. I can also see how it's kind of risky because you sit below most vehicles' window/door line (probably more so at night than in the daytime), and if you're in a decent-sized group the back gets separated from the front at traffic lights quite often. All in all I still enjoyed it enough to recommend to do once as a tourist, especially since it's only a matter of time before regulations catch up.
Very cool. Do you remember which course you took and/or where you left from?
Old Mar 28, 2019, 3:41 am

Programs: QF Plat (OWE)/NZ Gold (*G)
I agree. Certainly my significant other and I found it very fun. Was it dangerous? probably? but then again you only live once and it was certainly a unique way to travel Tokyo. Those karts can get some speed on them as well especially when going downhill after the rainbow bridge. We did the long course from the Shinagawa shop at night time just before christmas so it was a good way to see the christmas lights around roppongi hills and omotesando as well.

tourist trap? probably but it was nevertheless fun (and I don't mind the odd tourist trap having travelled to Japan 9-10 times in the last 15 years)
Busymann likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.