Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Good budget hotels in Tokyo for US$100-US$150/night?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2019, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

I'm looking at some late spring dates. Ideally the hotel would be located near a subway station or public transit so that on my last day I can quickly get to Haneda. I know Tokyo is one of the most expensive cities in Asia so I'm trying to be realistic. I'll increase it with necessary to get an ideal location. Suggestions?

Thanks!
Old Mar 30, 2019, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

When are you planning on going ? ( ie first week in May will be the Golden Week and the coronation of the new emperor) and how early is your flight from HND?

Shinagawa or Shimbashi/Shiodome might be good areas as they have rail/monorail links to HND.

Regards

TBS
Old Mar 30, 2019, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

When are you planning on going ? ( ie first week in May will be the Golden Week and the coronation of the new emperor) and how early is your flight from HND?

Shinagawa or Shimbashi/Shiodome might be good areas as they have rail/monorail links to HND.

Regards

TBS
Second week of May or first week of June? I'm still sorting out the details.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'm now aiming for the first week of June.

Here's a list that I found and something to work with.

https://japanstartshere.com/2018/07/...tels-in-tokyo/

Keep in mind, I'm not an expert on Tokyo like you. Of the hotels in that list and maybe you have your own suggestions, which hotel would you pick based its proximity to a subway/train/bus to and from Haneda?
Old Mar 30, 2019, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

The Prince hotel chain have reasonable hotels ( depending on dates) and several in Shinagawa ( three of them have a beautiful japanese garden between them) are beside the station with a direct rail link to Haneda. One of them ( the Sakura tower which is very good is also a member of the Marriott Bovoy program but might exceed your budget)

The APA chain also looks reasonable

Asakusa is a reasonable area but a bit further away from HND but I think there is a direct rail link. Shibuya and Shinjuku are on the opposite side of the city to HND so travelling to HND will take a bit longer

Regards

TBS
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 6:24 pm

Programs: Thai Airways
Hotels such as Villa Fontaine Tokyo Hamamatsucho are reasonably priced at the proposed time of year of the visit. Good access to Haneda with new link, but as with many hotels room size is small. I stay there for short business visits because I can walk to the office.

Haneda is easily accessible, compared to Narita and I wouldn't be too concerened about choosing a hotel just because of this factor.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 11:44 pm

To get definitive answers on this, you really need to give us specific dates.

As with anywhere, rates fluctuate at a given hotel from week to week. For example, Keikyu EX Inn right across from Shinagawa would be an excellent choice for you, but their rate can be 10,000yen one day, 25,000yen another day. On some days, potential options for decent hotel in 10-15k yen range in a decent location that's convenient to HND could be a long list.

For years I've been a regular at Richmond Hotel Musashi Kosugi. It's out in the suburb, but it's actually more convenient to more places in/around Tokyo than most places in Tokyo. Plus it's easy to get to HND... just hop on the direct bus a minute walk from the hotel.

Ginza area (look for hotels that are within a few minute walk from Higashi Ginza Station for the best access to HND) has a lot of decent affordable hotels under reliable brands like Daiwa Royalnet and Monterey.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 11:53 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

For $150 a night, you can sometimes get a room at an international chain hotel, like Hilton, Hyatt, or Marriott. Clean but small rooms in what the Japanese call "business hotels" can readily be found for under $100 a night.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Mar 31, 2019 at 9:30 pm
Old Mar 31, 2019, 4:01 am

Programs: Thai Airways
I have stayed in several Richmond Hotels outside Tokyo and all had big rooms compared to most "business hotels", were in excellent locations for accessibility and rooms were functional as with all hotels I have staryed in in Japan. Join as a Member and compare rates with other websites.

As previous poster said hotels for less than $100 a night can readily be found but to the non Japanese may be harder to find. My colleagues often stay in such hotels when they have had too much to drink and don't want to spend 2 hours travelling home and face the wife.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 9:18 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
The best deal will depend heavily on what you plan to do while in Tokyo. There are many many neighborhoods throughout the metropolis, each with a different set of tradeoffs.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: LH M+M
Just stayed in the Sanco Inn Grande in Hamamatsucho - close enough for a 4 wheeler checkbacg (17kg) to walk/roll to Monorail.
~110E a night in the week into cherry blossom.
Desk with basic english, no issues. (bring HDMI if you want to watch movies, no english TV)
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by maerim
I have stayed in several Richmond Hotels outside Tokyo and all had big rooms compared to most "business hotels", were in excellent locations for accessibility and rooms were functional as with all hotels I have staryed in in Japan. Join as a Member and compare rates with other websites.

As previous poster said hotels for less than $100 a night can readily be found but to the non Japanese may be harder to find. My colleagues often stay in such hotels when they have had too much to drink and don't want to spend 2 hours travelling home and face the wife.
Agreed. I've done this exact same stay before a few times. I can highly recommend the Richmond Hotel Tokyo Shiba, located here. The rooms are decently sized and pretty amenity rich for a Japanese business hotel — you get a full sized bed, robe, slippers, toiletries, etc. Looks like they now only sell rooms through their own site, but a quick check shows a few random nights in May are offered for 13500 JPY/night, which is about $125.

It's located a five minute walk from Hamamatsucho Station which is where the monorail to HND starts, along with two JR train lines. You're also a block away from Daimon station which has two subway connections. There's a Starbucks on the ground floor of the hotel if you need some quick coffee, Shiba Park and lots of cheap restaurants are nearby, and you're 20 minutes or less away by train from pretty much every major tourist district in the city if you have the time. All in all, an excellent place to stay.
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PAX_fips
Just stayed in the Sanco Inn Grande in Hamamatsucho - close enough for a 4 wheeler checkbacg (17kg) to walk/roll to Monorail.
~110E a night in the week into cherry blossom.
Desk with basic english, no issues. (bring HDMI if you want to watch movies, no english TV)
That seems like a really good choice! About US$123/night for the dates that I have in mind. According to Google Maps, it's about a 4 min walk to the station, which is on the Keikyu-Kuko Line, so direct access to Haneda. Approximately ¥530 to go from HND to the hotel. Any decent restaurants or cafes nearby? Any comment about the size of the room and hotel amenities? I get that for the price that I'm paying, I won't get a big room, although like anything in life, sometimes there are surprised. I've been surprised before in HK and NYC.

Originally Posted by redct
Agreed. I've done this exact same stay before a few times. I can highly recommend the Richmond Hotel Tokyo Shiba, located here. The rooms are decently sized and pretty amenity rich for a Japanese business hotel — you get a full sized bed, robe, slippers, toiletries, etc. Looks like they now only sell rooms through their own site, but a quick check shows a few random nights in May are offered for 13500 JPY/night, which is about $125.

It's located a five minute walk from Hamamatsucho Station which is where the monorail to HND starts, along with two JR train lines. You're also a block away from Daimon station which has two subway connections. There's a Starbucks on the ground floor of the hotel if you need some quick coffee, Shiba Park and lots of cheap restaurants are nearby, and you're 20 minutes or less away by train from pretty much every major tourist district in the city if you have the time. All in all, an excellent place to stay.
Thanks for the suggestion, but for the dates that I have in mind, it'll be more than US$200/night. I'll keep checking as I get closer to booking the airfare.

Originally Posted by angra
The best deal will depend heavily on what you plan to do while in Tokyo. There are many many neighborhoods throughout the metropolis, each with a different set of tradeoffs.
Sightseeing. At my price range, I probably won't get anything decent in places like Shibuya or Shinjuku.

Last edited by armagebedar; Apr 1, 2019 at 6:02 am Reason: multiquote
Old Mar 31, 2019, 11:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There's a decent "Washington" chain business hotel on the island in the bay, right across from the Big Sight. It's close to HND and you can walk to the museums and entertainment on the island. It seems better than most business hotels and should be cheap when there isn't a major event at the Big Sight (convention center in a dramatic building).
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 11:50 am

The Washington previously mentioned, along with the near-by but slightly more expensive Ariake Sunroute are both convenient to public transport and in a relaxing area (Odaiba, the waterfront) Both have a fairly quick shuttle to Haneda and quick-ish links into Central Tokyo.
Couple of tips if booking is difficult - the inbound tour companies like Japanican (JTB) appear to have block bookings at many hotels so may well have reasonably priced vacancies when none show on the hotel/chain website.
Sometimes several consecutive days (say, a week) stay is sometimes difficult to find, it's worth considering trimming down your search into say 4+3 days, either in the same hotel or if not possible, spread your visit into shorter stays at two hotels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.