Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Tokyo hotel accessible (walking or train without transfers) to Hamamatsuchō Station

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tokyo hotel accessible (walking or train without transfers) to Hamamatsuchō Station

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Can anybody recommend such a hotel? Has to have English speaking staff as I don't speak a lick of Japanese. Doesn't need to be fancy as I will be staying alone for 2 nights with minimal luggage.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 3:01 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
There's no shortage of Western hotels on the Yamanote Line like the Conrad (near Shimbashi Station) all of the hotels near Tokyo Station (Courtyard, for example), and the cluster of hotels by Shinjuku. All will have front desk staff who speak English. I've stayed at some of the business hotels near Shiodome and Tokyo Station and they also had English-speaking staff. The stops on the Yamanote Line are all numbered and announcements on the train are made in English and Japanese (both by recorded voice and video monitors).
Old Mar 18, 2019, 3:03 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by davie355
Can anybody recommend such a hotel? Has to have English speaking staff as I don't speak a lick of Japanese. Doesn't need to be fancy as I will be staying alone for 2 nights with minimal luggage.
Shimbash Station is one stop from Hamamatsucho Station on the JR Yamanote Line - there are several moderate hotels in the Shimbashi / Shiodome area, like Hotel Villa Fontaine Shiodome (I stayed there a few years ago, it was just fine). You can easily explore the Shimbashi / Shiodome / Hamamatsucho area using Google Maps streetview - it is a quite modern district of Tokyo and very close to Hamamatsucho Station.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can I bring up huge red flashing lights for staying in the Shiodome area.
That place, yes, relatively newly built, is a nightmare for anybody trying to traverse the roads in a wheelchair.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/8680415-post16.html
Big roads, heavy traffic and no way across except for stepped overpasses.
We walked (well I was pushed) from Shinagawa to Yurakucho/Ginza one day and I found the Shiodome area to be gruelling and upsetting. I had a little mobility back then and had to use every ounce of my strength to traverse a road. I don’t know how we could have managed our way through otherwise.
A big shock considering how capable we felt of travelling through Tokyo everywhere else.

Also Shimbashi station should be avoided. Does not have straightforward access to the platforms. It is accessible, but by closing off an escalator to everybody. Details are in the post I linked.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

More info about Shimbashi station here
https://accessible-japan.jp/tokyo/od...bashi_sta.html
Old Mar 18, 2019, 4:09 pm

Programs: Dirt
There are a couple of business hotels near Hamamatsucho-Daimon stations:
Tokyu EX Inn Daimon
Hotel Mystays Hamamatsucho
Meitetsu Inn Hamamatsucho
Just to name a few.

Intercontinental is also nearby if you need a full service hotel.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not somewhere I’ve been, but there is also the Henn Na Hotel near Hamamatsucho Station, which has made it onto the “woah, isn’t Japan whacky” columns in media worldwide.
Has all kinds of gadgets, including synthetic reception dummies they call robots. Not sure how well this gimmick will be programmed to deal with wheelchair related requests, but real people are available.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by msb0b
There are a couple of business hotels near Hamamatsucho-Daimon stations:
Tokyu EX Inn Daimon
Hotel Mystays Hamamatsucho
Meitetsu Inn Hamamatsucho
Just to name a few.

Intercontinental is also nearby if you need a full service hotel.
That's a good list. I've not stayed at any of those particular hotels personally, but all of those are solid hotel brands (albeit higher-end business hotel category).

IC Tokyo Bay immediately comes to mind, however, and I've stayed there quite a bit. They run a shuttle bus between Hamamatsucho Station and the hotel, but it's a very easy walk (<10min) from the hotel to the station. But you won't want to walk that with luggage. After you get off the Monorail at Hamamatsucho station, finding the bus pickup point is always challenging for me, though.

In Shiodome/Shinbashi area, I've done Royal Park and Conrad. Obviously Conrad is excellent, but Royal Park also quite good and I'm sure English would be no problem there. It is difficult to find your way from Shinbashi JR station to Conrad, though (although the reverse is always easier).
Old Mar 18, 2019, 6:42 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by LapLap
Can I bring up huge red flashing lights for staying in the Shiodome area.
That place, yes, relatively newly built, is a nightmare for anybody trying to traverse the roads in a wheelchair.
Excellent observation about Shiodome and undoubtedly very true indeed. But, what I understood from OP's question was a lack of familiarity with Japanese language and wanting "simple", and not a more specific physical limitation. I could certainly have been wrong as to OP's intention and concerns with Japan and the specific neighborhood.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 6:53 pm
mjm
Original Member

Shiba Park Hotel. Short walk from Hamamatsucho, cheap, and English friendly.
LapLap likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 6:58 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
I recommend a shinagawa station based international hotel like shinagawa prince hotel. Direct train to Haneda airport every 10 mns (keikyu line). Direct yamanote train to hamamatsucho every 3mns, just 2 stops. Direct access to bullet trains too if needed or for a day trip.
LapLap likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:49 pm

I've stayed in both the Mystays and Meitetsu at Hmamatsucho, to be honest I can't remember them beyond they were a pretty standard business hotel and at least one of them was quite new (can't remember which one). I use them when I have to go to europe so I arrange flights to have an overnight in Tokyo on a Saturday night so theoretically it gives me a very easy run to the monorail on Sunday morning to make sure I don't miss the flight, I think I'm batting at around 50% in that regard but that blame is much more to do with izakaya and bars than the hotels themselves.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:36 pm

My partner stayed at the Chisun Hamamatsucho as part of an event tour package and found it old and not in the best condition. Also a bit far from a combini and they seemed to cost cut on some standard business hotel items, too. The Meitetsu looks newer and next to a Family Mart.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by evergrn
IC Tokyo Bay immediately comes to mind, however, and I've stayed there quite a bit. They run a shuttle bus between Hamamatsucho Station and the hotel, but it's a very easy walk (<10min) from the hotel to the station. But you won't want to walk that with luggage. After you get off the Monorail at Hamamatsucho station, finding the bus pickup point is always challenging for me, though.
I’ve stayed at athe IC Tokyo Bay, but before having used a wheelchair, so I hadn’t had my eyes opened to the pitfalls (which I am much more aware of now).
The walk is more than 10 minutes for most people, but should be doable. No overpasses are involved and the area isn’t hilly.
The shuttle must be recent. I would suggest the OP enquire with the hotel to find out if they can board this shuttle using a wheelchair.

Originally Posted by evergrn
In Shiodome/Shinbashi area, I've done Royal Park and Conrad. Obviously Conrad is excellent, but Royal Park also quite good and I'm sure English would be no problem there. It is difficult to find your way from Shinbashi JR station to Conrad, though (although the reverse is always easier).
As I said, Shimbashi station is extremely inconvenient for wheelchair users, to use the Yamanote line assistance is required. The JR employee assisting has to accompany you to a certain escalator. Bar everybody from using it. Then wait until everybody is off the escalator. Use some keys and run potentially a whole cycle of the escalator until the platform mechanism is created and then (rather slowly) ride with you on this platform to the top and then turn it back into regular stairs. All the while you are being watched by the other commuters. Sure, it’s a fascinating experience once. But one that I was glad to have tried but more glad that I never had to repeat (except at Komagome station, again, not recommended as a base).

As an alternative to Shimbashi station, I would recommend Shinagawa Station. This has excellent access to the Yamanote lines. Also the Strings IC has easy, level access to the station. In this case, I would enquire about the Shinagawa Prince Hotels (not the Takanawa Prince Hotels - which I have experience with - as getting there involves a steepish hill and I’m not sure the shuttle is accessible).
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:44 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
I had assumed OP just meant accessible by transport, not as in wheelchair user (i may of course be wrong). If wheelchair I will defer my opinion to others.

I do not recommend the bay area/odaiba, these are isolated luxury entertainment resorts, away from commodities/rest of the city.

If you're looking for both transport commodity and having everything you need nearby then Shinagawa or Tokyo station hotels are your top bets. Shinagawa prince as recommended by a few here (inc. me) is practically just accross the station.
roberto99 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.