Reload this Page >

What's in Kanagawa?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's in Kanagawa?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:46 pm

I'll be staying in Yokohama for a week. Aside from the usual Kamakura, Yokohama, Enoshima and Hakone, what else is there to see?
Don't forget that Tokyo is within pretty easy reach of Yokohama Station, if that's near where you'll be staying. For example Shinagawa is about 17 minutes away and Tokyo Station 24 minutes, while Nihon Minka-en is almost an hour away and Hakone is an hour and twenty minutes away.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
You can’t go wrong with a few hours at the CupNoodles Museum
BeachRat and shuigao like this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
I've posted this in another thread before but there is an Mitsubishi MRJ simulator among other things in this museum in Yokohama

https://www.mhi.com/expertise/museum/minatomirai/
rustykettel likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:52 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Plat,Hilton Diamond,IHG Plat,WOH Glob,Radisson Gold,MGM Gold,Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by closetasfan
I've never been here but I'm interested in checking this out Kawasaki Daishi Heikenji Temple

Also the end of Keikyu station has nice beaches

Also.....YokohamaHakkeijima Seaparadise ????????????? - YOKOHAMA HAKKEIJIMA SEA PARADISE
That was on my list to hit. It has a few rides and looks to be a small scale Sea World.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by dbuckho
You can’t go wrong with a few hours at the CupNoodles Museum
To each his/her own, but I personally didn't think much of it.
There wasn't much interesting to see. Went there primarily for the kids, but even the kids seemed a bit bored and what they liked more than anything was the little additional-fee play area at the top which has nothing to do with noodles.
RichardInSF likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:30 am

Programs: Bonvoy Plat,Hilton Diamond,IHG Plat,WOH Glob,Radisson Gold,MGM Gold,Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by evergrn
To each his/her own, but I personally didn't think much of it.
There wasn't much interesting to see. Went there primarily for the kids, but even the kids seemed a bit bored and what they liked more than anything was the little additional-fee play area at the top which has nothing to do with noodles.
I'm glad you said this. I may skip it. I plan on the Ramen Museum near Shin-Yoko Station then moving over to Cosmo, Chinatown, Landmark Tower. Maybe no CupNoodles.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by Busymann
I'm glad you said this. I may skip it. I plan on the Ramen Museum near Shin-Yoko Station then moving over to Cosmo, Chinatown, Landmark Tower. Maybe no CupNoodles.
Personally I would skip Cup Noodles Museum, although that is just my opinion.
Ramen Museum might be worthwhile, but it's a bit out of the way.

I would start at Sakuragicho Station (esp if coming from Shin-Yokohama), taking the people mover / skywalk into Landmark Tower, checking out the mall there and walking down through the adjoining Queen Square, exiting out to the street by McDonald's, heading over to Cosmo (ferris wheel's probably the only thing worthwhile for you), then walking through World Porters, then over to Red Brick Building complex, then along the seaside promenade to Yamashita Park, then explore Chinatown.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:12 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
I stayed in the Royal Park in the Landmark Tower. I had an amazing room on the 67th floor. The shower had a porthole. My view was toward land. Every night at sunset and every morning I was there, Mt Fuji would make an appearance. I stayed there for 2 nights and felt that was enough time to really enjoy that part of Yokohama. I didn't have any kids with me and I was pretty wore out from a week in Tokyo, so it wasn't a very action packed couple of days.

The Cup o Noodle museum was closed when I was there, but I did roam around World Porters, the Red Brick Building complex. I also enjoyed the park at the end of Minatormirai past the Intercontinental (Rinko Park and the Fruit Tree sculpture). I was going to take a water taxi/harbor tour, but decided against it as the water was pretty rough that day.

The new cruise ship terminal (Osanbashi) was very cool to me. Its a wonderful design and you can walk up on the roof of the terminal. If there are cruise ships docked, you get a close up look at them. If there are not any, you get a clearer view of the Harbor and the Bay. I think kids would love roaming around the top of the Pier buildings as well, its all wood planking like the deck of a ship. Then a nice stroll through Yamashita Park.

I found Chinatown more fun to explore at night with the neon and the latern lights all lit up. The narrow streets and fun places to get little sweets and little snacks.

I didn't venture very much further. I took transit back to the Landmark Tower from near the end of Yamashita Park inland from the Doll Museum (which I did not go into).
Old Mar 21, 2019, 11:00 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

In the building across the street from Cup Noodles (not World Porter, across the other street), there is an urban onsen where you can spend an hour or two. It even has a foot bath river on the roof.

If you're a fan of Hawaiian food, the only branch of Leonard's Malasadas outside of Oahu is in the World Porters mall.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by evergrn
Personally I would skip Cup Noodles Museum, although that is just my opinion.
Ramen Museum might be worthwhile, but it's a bit out of the way.

I would start at Sakuragicho Station (esp if coming from Shin-Yokohama), taking the people mover / skywalk into Landmark Tower, checking out the mall there and walking down through the adjoining Queen Square, exiting out to the street by McDonald's, heading over to Cosmo (ferris wheel's probably the only thing worthwhile for you), then walking through World Porters, then over to Red Brick Building complex, then along the seaside promenade to Yamashita Park, then explore Chinatown.
I wanted Ramen > Chinatown > Cosmo > Landmark (dusk to night view). I like the tall structures to get both views (day/night), especially Landmark with a view of the lights from Cosmo.

Edit; Ramen just looks like a short train ride.
My itinerary looks like it'll have Abeno Harukas, Umeda Sky Building (both day), Skytree (day/night), Landmark Tower (day/night), and maybe Tokyo Tower (not too pressed).
Old Mar 22, 2019, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by bitterproffit
I stayed in the Royal Park in the Landmark Tower. I had an amazing room on the 67th floor. The shower had a porthole. My view was toward land. Every night at sunset and every morning I was there, Mt Fuji would make an appearance. I stayed there for 2 nights and felt that was enough time to really enjoy that part of Yokohama. I didn't have any kids with me and I was pretty wore out from a week in Tokyo, so it wasn't a very action packed couple of days.

The Cup o Noodle museum was closed when I was there, but I did roam around World Porters, the Red Brick Building complex. I also enjoyed the park at the end of Minatormirai past the Intercontinental (Rinko Park and the Fruit Tree sculpture). I was going to take a water taxi/harbor tour, but decided against it as the water was pretty rough that day.

The new cruise ship terminal (Osanbashi) was very cool to me. Its a wonderful design and you can walk up on the roof of the terminal. If there are cruise ships docked, you get a close up look at them. If there are not any, you get a clearer view of the Harbor and the Bay. I think kids would love roaming around the top of the Pier buildings as well, its all wood planking like the deck of a ship. Then a nice stroll through Yamashita Park.

I found Chinatown more fun to explore at night with the neon and the latern lights all lit up. The narrow streets and fun places to get little sweets and little snacks.

I didn't venture very much further. I took transit back to the Landmark Tower from near the end of Yamashita Park inland from the Doll Museum (which I did not go into).
Noted: evergrn said to do Chinatown at night. I may have to switch. I can always hit Landmark Tower before leaving back to home base.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 7:16 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
It's a bit distant from downtown Yokohama, but Sankeien is a lovely Japanese garden in the Honmoku area.

https://www.sankeien.or.jp/en-about/index.html

On weekends and holidays there is a bus that goes straight there from Yokohama station in 45 minutes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.