Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Affordable (Michelin-starred and otherwise) restaurants in Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Affordable (Michelin-starred and otherwise) restaurants in Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2019, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite (*G), ITA Executive, WY Silver, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold

Best value michelin starred Omakase in Tokyo?

Any suggestions.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by EYrevanchist

Any suggestions.
Sushi: lunch at 1* Sushi Keita in Tsukiji, one of my favorite sushiya in Tokyo (I always get the full nighttime omakase which is around Ą18,000 but they offer lunch sets starting at Ą5,000)
https://gm.gnavi.co.jp/shop/0119017102/

Kappo: lunch at 1* Hirosaku in Shimbashi is only Ą3,500 - insane value (dinner is Ą30,000++).
https://gm.gnavi.co.jp/shop/0115031902/

Tempura: the less expensive of the two lunch sets at 1* Sonoji in Ningyocho is Ą7,900
https://gm.gnavi.co.jp/shop/0119023301/
Old Mar 9, 2019, 8:45 pm

I see the term "omakase" used by non-Japanese-speaking people to describe...some sort of restaurant experience, but I'm confused about what it means in this context. Is it just "any restaurant listed in the Michelin Guide that offers a prix-fixe menu"?

Last edited by lobsterdog; Mar 9, 2019 at 9:17 pm
Old Mar 9, 2019, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

And any affordable Kaiseki experieces or am I stretching my luck
Old Mar 9, 2019, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Affordable restaurants in Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka?

I am looking for some good restaunts that cost about 3-4000 yen per person and serve good Wagyu, Tempura, Tonkatsu or other Japanaese comfort foods in Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka?!

Any suggestions
Old Mar 10, 2019, 4:27 am

And any affordable Kaiseki experieces or am I stretching my luck
Again, plenty of options to save money by going at lunch. Example: lunch at 1* Kaiseki Ohara, priced at Ą7,000. (Dinner is Ą10,000 to Ą15,000)

https://gm.gnavi.co.jp/shop/0115016501/
Old Mar 10, 2019, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Well, if the "cheap gourmet lunch thread" hadn't been locked, you could look in there. Why was it locked, is beyond my pay grade.
jib71 likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:53 am
Original Poster

I’ve always wondered how some *1 sushi places can charge more than Jiro, Saito and Yoshitake (*3)
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:32 am
Original Poster

I’m also interested in knowing if Omakase at Yoshitake is worth it vs going to four other Michelin starred places for the same price ...
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:02 am

I’ve always wondered how some *1 sushi places can charge more than Jiro, Saito and Yoshitake (*3)

Top quality neta at Toyosu is going to cost the same wether you have zero stars, 1 star, or 3 stars. For example, the maguro served at the first counter at 1* Arai is going to usually be of higher quality than the maguro served at Jiro, Saito or Yoshitake. If they pay top money for the best maguro, of course they are going to pass these expenses on to the customers, regardless of Michelin stars.

Also, Michelin is not exactly all that important in Japan. Tabelog ratings and awards, for example, are significantly more important. The only thing you're guaranteed to see at a Michelin-starred shop in Tokyo is more foreign customers, it certainly doesn't mean it is any better than non-starred restaurants.

(PS: Jiro honten is close to Ą40,000 without drinks these days. I can't think of any 1* shop that charges that much.)

I’m also interested in knowing if Omakase at Yoshitake is worth it vs going to four other Michelin starred places for the same price ...
Only you can decide that for yourself. Some say that Yoshitake's otsumami dishes (especially the awabi with kimo sauce) are the best they've ever had. I'm sure it is worth it to them. YMMV.
ginmqi and EYrevanchist like this.

Last edited by od_sf; Mar 10, 2019 at 12:04 pm
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:56 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
This site is a good place to start - https://bento.com/
lobsterdog likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Is Wagyu comfort food?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
I guess it depends on the preparation. A Japanese beef curry with rice would surely count as a comfort food. My guess is that most Japanese people would view Wagyu steak or teppanyaki as a special / luxury meal.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA, NW
O-makase can be loosely translated as "chef's choice." Makaseru is a verb that can mean "leave the decision up to someone else" or "have someone else do it."
janehoya and EYrevanchist like this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:51 am
Original Poster

I mean, is the Nigri at Yoshitake 3* really worth two times the cost of Keita 1*?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.