Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Affordable (Michelin-starred and otherwise) restaurants in Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Affordable (Michelin-starred and otherwise) restaurants in Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:47 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
I just saw a couple Michelin starred restaurants in Japan on the Klook app. Might be worth a gander.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Pickles
+1. Completely understand that these are conflicting requirements. The trick in Japan is finding those places that for some reason are just as good as the ones giving fainting spells to the star feckers but remain ignored in the circuit. And then when going there, do your best to make sure the places remain on the ignore list of most of these clowns.
The paradox of the hidden gem. We want it to be popular enough that it'll still be around the next time we go, but not so popular that somebody gives it a star for people to check off their list.

Sharing our own favorite restaurants on an open message board can certainly conflict with that end, but once you get out of the major cities, I suspect the overall impact is far less significant. For us, a combination of local tabelog spots when we're pressed for time, and random alley joints when we're more adventurous has worked out well. But both are used only after the recommendation list from friends has been exhausted...
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:39 pm

Example: if you ask the hardcore local Tokyo sushi enthusiasts (who couldn't care less about Michelin) what the best sushiya in Tokyo is at the moment, many will say it is Amamoto.
This really is missing the point entirely. The "hardcore local Tokyo sushi enthusiasts" obsessed with finding the "best sushiya" in Tokyo are absolutely the same ilk as the Michelin star-chasers. And I'm equally happy to avoid wherever it is that they're hanging out this year.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite (*G), ITA Executive, WY Silver, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by evergrn
As a Japanese person, and I think a lot of Japanese are like me, I couldn't care less about going to Michelin places in Tokyo but am a sucker for it when visiting a major foreign city (eg, HKG). I suspect OP might be similar in that regard. I've tried to go to Michelin places in HKG but, at the end of the day, the whole Michelin thing is a bunch of bs. Peninsula's Spring Moon hasn't changed in quality since 5-10 yrs ago. So why is it Michelin-starred now but not back then? Tim Ho Wan deserves a star? 3 stars for Bo Innovation?

Anyways, I agree with someone above who said to follow the Tabelog rating. I don't always agree with Tabelog rating scores either, but it's the best we've got. Otherwise stick to the brand/chain you know and trust, which is what I do most often in Jpn. If you just follow where the locals are going, you might just follow them into Saizeriya. Hole-in-the-wall can be more often miss than hit, and chances are the ramen or sushi at such place will not be as good as Ichiran or Katsu Midori.
As a Japanese person, as you have established your credentials as such, could you tell me where Sushi Yoshitake (3*) generally figures in the Tokyo sushi scene?

Edit: I do not intent to come across as harsh

Last edited by EYrevanchist; Mar 19, 2019 at 5:04 am
Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by EYrevanchist

As a Japanese person, as you have established your credentials as such, could you tell me where Sushi Yoshitake (3*) generally figures in the Tokyo sushi scene?

It's so crowded nobody goes there anymore.
LapLap and tfizzle like this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:42 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AAdvantage, Southwest, HHonors, National

This question seems a bit presumptuous. Maybe its just my reading of the question, but don't assume any random Japanese person to know the ins and outs of Tokyo's sushi scene. Also your post reinforces the perception of you "star fecking". You're better served by going to Chowhound and reading the many "Tokyo" "Michelin" "Sushi" tagged threads there. Also Google,Youtube and Instagram are your friends and you may find your cup of tea from one of the many food bloggers/content creators/"influencers". Watch the "Worth It" series as it seems you're trying to get the most bang for your $$$$. One of the posters here is a self-proclaimed "sushi geek" and has his own website and forum. Maybe you should take a look there. Sushi Geek
evergrn and EYrevanchist like this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:40 pm

You're asking the wrong guy. I have no interest in Michelin sushi. When I do sushi in Tokyo, it needs to be good and cheap. Some Japanese are indeed into Michelin stars and checking out the best of the best. But I think vast majority of Japanese are like me. My parents/sibling all live in/near Tokyo. We don't even eat sushi that often but, when we do, it's usually kaiten, delivery or takeout from deli section.
ksandness, LapLap, kaka and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 2:53 am

Best value michelin starred Omakase in Tokyo?

Any suggestions.

Hello EYrevanchist,

In Tokyo, you can some of the best Michelin Star restaurants. But my two favorites are the Ginza Kojyu and the Ishikawa.

The Ginza Kojyu has a good price compared to similar restaurants. You can choose from sushi, over 60 different wines, sake, seasonal offerings or a multi-course kaiseki menu in a Zen-like dining room. The price is between „20,000 to „28,000.

The Ishikawa is a seafood and sushi kaiseki restaurant with three Michelin stars by chef Kagurazaka Ishikawa. It is open only in the evening, from 5:30 pm to midnight. The price is more or less „25,000.

If you're still curious and you want to check other options, here you can find the best 8 Michelin Star in Japan: [redacted]
EYrevanchist likes this.

Last edited by armagebedar; May 3, 2019 at 8:24 am Reason: removed self-link
Old Apr 30, 2019, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by od_sf
Kappo: lunch at 1* Hirosaku in Shimbashi is only „3,500 - insane value (dinner is „30,000++).
https://gm.gnavi.co.jp/shop/0115031902/
Starred vs. non-starred aside, I booked a lunch here („12000 course) and it was one of my top meals during my last trip. Absolutely memorable. I didn't know half of what I was eating with my limited Japanese, but I would not hesitate to go back again.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, if the “cheap gourmet lunch” thread hadn't been locked, you could look in there. Why was it locked, is beyond my pay grade.
Originally Posted by BeachRat
The paradox of the hidden gem. We want it to be popular enough that it'll still be around the next time we go, but not so popular that somebody gives it a star for people to check off their list.
I’m going to have to take this moment to give a huge slap on the back and a shower of kudos to @Pickles for how many of those lunch recommendations so generously given remain pertinent today (some a little pricier and there are venue shifts too, but they are extraordinarily constant.).
Quite an achievement given the usual survival rate in central Tokyo.
ĄUsted sí que sabe!
Old Oct 13, 2021, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
https://www.timeout.com/tokyo/restau...meals-in-tokyo
Old Oct 13, 2021, 5:47 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Fushimi In Kobe, nondescript. Been there a few times (introduced by a regular).
Friendly owner, mostly regulars. They get a few foreigners, but not many. Little to no English.
Just 9 seats, best to call (in Japanese). Good sake. Also beer. Maybe some wine (?).
No "menu", no prices listed, no itemized bill. He will just produce a box of the latest catch from the market and ask you what you like.
Not cheap, dinner „15,000-„25,000...or more? I get the feeling he makes up the prices according to the customer. If you really want to know what the price will be, better to avoid the place and not disturb the "wa."
https://tabelog.com/hyogo/A2801/A280102/28006510/

Last edited by JapanFlyerT; Oct 13, 2021 at 5:55 pm
Old Oct 14, 2021, 10:05 am

these lists are odd to me.

I find it odd to list a place with famous pork from this place https://www.hiraboku.info/storecat/eat/#search-text
And yet not refer to this place. Maybe reviews too lazy to travel outside of Tokyo?
Either way, nice to see the pork master getting some love albeit from some lazy food writer.
Maybe just me.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Topcare
these lists are odd to me.

I find it odd to list a place with famous pork from this place https://www.hiraboku.info/storecat/eat/#search-text
And yet not refer to this place. Maybe reviews too lazy to travel outside of Tokyo?
Either way, nice to see the pork master getting some love albeit from some lazy food writer.
Maybe just me.
No need to travel outside of Tokyo. There is a Hirata Bokujo right in Tokyo Midtown.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 12:43 pm

No need to travel outside of Tokyo. There is a Hirata Bokujo right in Tokyo Midtown.
Not sure I agree with this logic but who cares really. Dont bother responding as I really dont care.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.