Reload this Page >

Private Car/Tour Sapporo

Private Car/Tour Sapporo

Old Mar 5, 19, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA&Mariott Plat Prem.
Private Car/Tour Sapporo

Hello,

I'm looking to hire a private car for 3 (with english speaking tour guide/driver) to tour parts of Hokkaido for a day. I've used MK in Kyoto. Any suggestions for Hokkaido?

It's my first time to Hokkaido and plan to spend 2 days in Sapporo by myself where-ever I can go by JR. One day to tour the country side.
Old Mar 5, 19, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have you discarded your original idea of just hiring a car?
Renting a Vehicle in Hokkaido
Old Mar 5, 19, 4:39 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by TennisNoob View Post
Hello,

I'm looking to hire a private car for 3 (with english speaking tour guide/driver) to tour parts of Hokkaido for a day. I've used MK in Kyoto. Any suggestions for Hokkaido?
Like, the same company in Sapporo?

Taxi hire ~5000 per hour

?????????MK?????Sapporo MK Taxi/Limousine

" 外国語ドライバー(英語)の指定をいただくことも可能です " [It is also possible to designate a foreign language driver (English) ]

???????????????????????MK?????Sapporo MK Taxi/Limousine

1500 yen/hour for an interpreter who will join you in the taxi (minimum 3 hours). Obviously not professional interpreters at that price. Probably a student from China.
Old Mar 5, 19, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LapLap View Post
Have you discarded your original idea of just hiring a car?
Renting a Vehicle in Hokkaido
Unfortunately I'm not really interested in driving reverse. I know it's not much different but coming off a 15 hr flight the last thing I want to do is drive for a few days. I think Autopilot has spoiled me these years.

Originally Posted by beep88 View Post
Like, the same company in Sapporo?

Taxi hire ~5000 per hour

?????????MK?????Sapporo MK Taxi/Limousine

" 外国語ドライバー(英語)の指定をいただくことも可能です " [It is also possible to designate a foreign language driver (English) ]

???????????????????????MK?????Sapporo MK Taxi/Limousine

1500 yen/hour for an interpreter who will join you in the taxi (minimum 3 hours). Obviously not professional interpreters at that price. Probably a student from China.
MK quoted about 51k yen for 8 hrs of private car use on the english site. Thanks for the direct Japanese link, IME it's cheaper when contacting them in the local language. I always have the hotel concierge book MK services as it's tens of dollars less.
Old Mar 5, 19, 10:54 pm

Programs: United, Hilton
Where in the countryside would you like to go?

If you're interested in doing Biei/Furano corridor (very popular with Tomita Farm, Shikisai no Oka, blue lagoon, etc), then it may be more cost-effective to get your chartered taxi at Asahikawa rather than originate from Sapporo.
Old Mar 6, 19, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by evergrn View Post
Where in the countryside would you like to go?

If you're interested in doing Biei/Furano corridor (very popular with Tomita Farm, Shikisai no Oka, blue lagoon, etc), then it may be more cost-effective to get your chartered taxi at Asahikawa rather than originate from Sapporo.
So it's my absolute first time being in Hokkaido. I've been to Tokyo/Osaka maybe 12 times now.

Where should I go in the 2 days? This will be end of May. I'm not interested into going up any mountains.
Old Mar 6, 19, 11:58 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
MK quoted about 51k yen for 8 hrs of private car use on the english site. Thanks for the direct Japanese link, IME it's cheaper when contacting them in the local language. I always have the hotel concierge book MK services as it's tens of dollars less.
The Japanese page quotes are for a taxi. The English site might be quoting for a Toyota Crown.
Old Mar 6, 19, 4:41 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH DIA+SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), HGP D, HH D, IHG SE
Your thread title says Sapporo, but your post says Hokkaido. Which is it? Hokkaido is about the size of South Carolina, so which part are you planning to visit?
Old Mar 6, 19, 7:48 pm

Programs: United, Hilton
So it's my absolute first time being in Hokkaido. I've been to Tokyo/Osaka maybe 12 times now.

Where should I go in the 2 days? This will be end of May. I'm not interested into going up any mountains.
I thought you were doing 2 days sightseeing Sapporo by train, and interested in doing 1 day with a guide touring the countryside. The above follow-up comment confuses me then.

Anyways, let me assume you're spending 3 days in Hokkaido, basing yourself in Sapporo and, as you'd stated in your OP, you want to charter a car/guide for 1 day to see the countryside.

In/around Sapporo, most places of interest are accessible by train/subway. There actually aren't many places of great interest or really scenic landscape further out that's within 1hr drive of Sapporo. I really loved the ski jump place and Takino Suzuran Park which are hard to get to without a car, but then again you might not even find those places interesting.

The real gems appropriate for touring that are relatively close to Sapporo are the Furano-Biei corridor, Shakotan peninsula (can include Nikka distillery), and Toyako/Niseko area. For those three areas, it makes a lot more sense to have your chartered tour originate from Asahikawa, Otaru and Toya stations, respectively.

Keep in mind that late May is sort of a weird season. I've only been to Hokkaido during summer and ski seasons. I've no idea what you could expect in late May in terms of what's popular, how cold/warm, what's still closed, etc. Our whitewater rafting guide in Niseko did tell us that April and May are great rafting seasons, due to there being a lot more water. I don't know if you're into outdoor stuff.

Alternatively, you may decide to ditch the guided tour and instead opt to spend that one day doing a day trip to Otaru (the train ride to Otaru features some of the most impressive coastal scenery anywhere) or Noboribetsu (for a day pass at one of the mega onsens).
Old Mar 7, 19, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beep88 View Post
The Japanese page quotes are for a taxi. The English site might be quoting for a Toyota Crown.
MK responded they will give an alpha since they don't have crowns or the regular sedan in Hokkaido area.

Originally Posted by armagebedar View Post
Your thread title says Sapporo, but your post says Hokkaido. Which is it? Hokkaido is about the size of South Carolina, so which part are you planning to visit?
Sapporo and Chitose!

Search this Thread