Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Panasonic humidifier / air purifier

Old Mar 2, 2019, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Hi!

I would like to purchase one of these to bring back to Canada. https://panasonic.jp/airrich/

Has anyone done this before?

What would be the appropriate transformer to get or is the 110V - 120V differential okay on this product?
I know some products are fine just plugging in here in North America but others don't work so well.
I can't find an export model or it's the one at 220V.

Thanks!
Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:16 am

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott/IHG Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
I don't have Panasonic one but Sharp's (purchased 8+ years ago) and other appliance (i.e. bread maker, hair dryers from Panasonic and rice cooker from Zojirushi, etc.). Haven't had any issue and they are all working well & great.

One of my friend got the "step down transformer" for his coffee mill (to control the granularity level). It is very tiny (like a plug) and it works according to him. Just in case if you have any concern.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I've been using my Japan Panasonic rice cooker in California without any issue for over a year - in fact, the transformer plug I bought for it wouldn't even let it turn on, so I ditched the step down plug and just use it direct.

The only appliances I know for sure that will have problems are things like hair dryers, curling irons, etc - low tech heating devices that could overheat, create a shock hazard or burn out due to mishandling the extra voltage.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies!

That's good to know it should work without a transformer or possibly a small one.

I'll still look for the transformer but it's nice to know I may not need it.

Thanks again!
Old Mar 3, 2019, 6:33 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
According to the specifications on page 28 (last page) of this document,
https://panasonic.jp/p-db/contents/m...8373674815.pdf
these devices are designed for 100 volts at either 50 or 60 Hz (half of Japan is 50 Hz and the other half is 60 Hz). US/Canada voltage is about 120 volts at 60 Hz.

Look for a step-down transformer that will take 120 volts / 60 Hz to 100 volts / 60 Hz to assure no issues with the device. A quick Amazon search showed a device for approx USD $30 that will make the adjustment from US/Canada 120 volts to Japan 100 volts or visa versa at 200 watts, and for example, the humidifier model F-VXR90 uses 88 watts max so well within the capacity of the 200 watt converter.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:22 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
I have a Sharp KC-850U that is almost the same function-wise , with the same internal replacement parts. Even the water tank and bottom tray look almost identical. Purchased from Best Buy Canada.

I have purchased several rice cookers(micro-computer and IH models) from Japan and have been using them for 5+ years, without using any transformer.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 11:35 pm

The big shops will try to talk you out of buying for foreign use.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by beep88
I have a Sharp KC-850U that is almost the same function-wise , with the same internal replacement parts. Even the water tank and bottom tray look almost identical. Purchased from Best Buy Canada.
Do you like it?
Are both the humidifier and purifier effective? Do you find one function to be more valuable than the other? Is it low-maintenance?

These things are everywhere in Jpn, so I assume people find them indispensable. I have an air purifier at home which cost almost $150-200 USD, but this Sharp model is going for 2x as much. I can't tell if my one at home is even doing anything (I notice zero impact on dust, etc), so I'm interested to hear about this one.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
I have 4 Sharp machines at home. 2 are humidifier+cleaner models. They do filter dust, if you look at the filter inside after having the machine for a while. Also these machines are found at many business hotels so they must work! lol

The large KC-850U does work a bit differently compared to the other 3 smaller machines. Those 3 react quickly to odour, and very sensitive even if the source is 20 feet away. It triggers the plasmacluster thing.

On the other hand KC-850U doesn't appear to react to odour, but very sensitive to dust. Say if I fold laundry from 3 feet away, it triggers the machine into high speed fan mode, even when it's freshly launder garment.

All the machines are low maintenance. For humidifier depends on water hardness. You may need to de-calcify or replace the evaporating media. Otherwise you vacuum/wash the outer screen filter. If the machine comes with charcoal filter you can wash that. Machine comes with a "clean filter" reminder light.

There is no smoker at my place. So the HEPA filter lasts for several years. I don't run it during the day when there is no one around.

The KC-850U I paid 300 CAD 5 years ago.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 6:57 pm

Thanks. You have piqued my interest in KC-850U. I don't really need the humidifier function. It'd be nice if there's a unit similar to your KC-850U without the humidifier, that's hopefully cheaper. I will do more research.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.