Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

New Starbucks Reserve Roastery in Nakameguro

Old Feb 28, 2019, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM *G, NH Plat/SFC, HH Diamond, GE

Has anyone been yet? I'm not a big fan of Starbucks but the building designed by Kengo Kuma looks worthy of a visit. It sits right on the Meguro river, behind the Nakameguro Don Quijote store.

https://www.starbucks.co.jp/roastery/
Old Mar 1, 2019, 12:18 am

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by groovbusta
Has anyone been yet? I'm not a big fan of Starbucks but the building designed by Kengo Kuma looks worthy of a visit. It sits right on the Meguro river, behind the Nakameguro Don Quijote store.

Someone in a Facebook Group I am a part of has gone. They liked it. They went on opening day and had to get a ticket for seating 4 hours later. They took that time to walk around. I'm hoping it will be less waiting on a weekday.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 7:53 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Went to the one in Seattle. Was mildly
entertaining for 15 minutes. Granted, Iím a self proclaimed non coffee fan, so thereís that.

Saw the write up on the new one in Tokyo on SoraNews and may check it out... but I doubt it. ;-)
Old Mar 4, 2019, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by ainternational
Went to the one in Seattle. Was mildly
entertaining for 15 minutes. Granted, Iím a self proclaimed non coffee fan, so thereís that.

Saw the write up on the new one in Tokyo on SoraNews and may check it out... but I doubt it. ;-)
Until I saw this thread, I had not heard of this Roastery thing, let alone the fact that there exists such place in Seattle even though I live in the area.
(I vaguely remember seeing a flier about this when I was at a Starbucks in Jpn last month, but I didn't know what it was then)
They appear to offer mostly weird fancy items that don't appeal to someone like me who's not adventurous.
But it wouldn't surprise me if Jpn version of Roasty is much better than US version. In US I go to Starbucks out of desperation, but Jpn Starbucks are so wonderful.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 1:51 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by evergrn
Until I saw this thread, I had not heard of this Roastery thing, let alone the fact that there exists such place in Seattle even though I live in the area.
(I vaguely remember seeing a flier about this when I was at a Starbucks in Jpn last month, but I didn't know what it was then)
They appear to offer mostly weird fancy items that don't appeal to someone like me who's not adventurous.
But it wouldn't surprise me if Jpn version of Roasty is much better than US version. In US I go to Starbucks out of desperation, but Jpn Starbucks are so wonderful.
While Iím not a coffee person, Iím intrigued as to why that may be? I find most brands such as restaurants, with locations in both Japan and America but originating in America, to be fairly similar. With the obvious caveat that often times things like service are better in Japan, but not always.

In addition, if you do go to check this new location out, please do report back.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 2:31 am

There is a Sbux Roastery branch in Ginza Six. Itís far superior to the US branches (the one in NYC is a money sucking tourist trap), and dare I say, made excellent coffee with beautiful processes.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 1:40 pm

While I’m not a coffee person, I’m intrigued as to why that may be? I find most brands such as restaurants, with locations in both Japan and America but originating in America, to be fairly similar. With the obvious caveat that often times things like service are better in Japan, but not always.

I feel like the quality in Jpn is almost always better than US for American restaurant brands that exist in Jpn.
Baristas at Jpn Starbucks are more adept at making drinks to consistent standards. In US, a Starbucks latte can be almost perfect 20% of the time but pretty much like steamed milk 1/3 of the time. In Jpn, what you get vast majority of the time is equivalent to that top 20% in US. Maccha latte at Jpn Starbucks is especially great... sometimes they can screw it up but even then, if you explain to them that you actually wanted it a certain other way, they can almost always correct it to the way you like it. In US, forget about it. Starbucks employees in US are either not as professional or not as well trained, it seems. I love Starbucks Jpn so much it is often the first place I run to after getting off the plane.
Denny's way better in Jpn than US, but then it's hard to compare because it's actually a different company and the menu's totally different. Actually, just about every American brand restaurant in Jpn is difficult to compare because the menus are very different between the two countries... Red Lobster, Coco's, etc, etc. But the Jpn version of all those brands are higher quality imo than their US versions. Even Joe's Shanghai in Ikebukuro is better than their original NY one. I guess Luke's Lobster is very similar btwn Jpn and US, but they are still a small operation in both countries and so have not lost their original standard of craftsmanship.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 9:12 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by evergrn
The Reserve whole bean coffees are usually limited duration single origin coffees. I like many of them, and usually use them as my daily drinker at home. I think they're better than the usual Starbucks coffee ranges (I miss the old Yukon Blend the current one isn't the same).

I noticed the bags at I think the HND T2 location last year, but they were roasted then at the Seattle roastery, same coffees as currently being sold in the US but at a higher price. Will be interesting to see if the Japanese Reserve Roastery will start doing their own exclusives.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
I find most brands such as restaurants, with locations in both Japan and America but originating in America, to be fairly similar. With the obvious caveat that often times things like service are better in Japan, but not always.
I completely disagree. I find service times, service quality, cleanliness, consistency of product, and many times quality of product to be higher in Japan. I wouldn't even consider eating at a McDonald's in the US, but have no problem doing so in Japan (in moderation, of course). How about 7-11? 7-11 in Japan is an art form, while in the US is the kind of place you avoid unless you absolutely have to.

My favorite comparison is Mr. Donut. In college, we used to call it "The UT" because only those two lights would be left on the sign outside in the evening. Inside, you'd be braving homeless people sleeping on the tables and some one-toothed hag fresh out of prison that would tell you they only had four flavors: "wood, corn, liver, and frosted vanilla" and they'd be out of frosted vanilla. In Japan, you get ceramic dishes and metal flatware for your coffee and doughnut. Mr. Donut (not surprisingly) died in the US but thrives in Japan, where it is headquartered. 7-11 is also headquartered in Japan.
Admiral Ackbar likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by groovbusta

Can I take this opportunity to dissuade anybody looking to visit this store during the Sakura hanami season from the second half of March until the second week or so of April.

My guess is that it if it isnít actually ram packed then, the managed queue to get in will take several long, long hours.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
Architect Kengo Kuma designed this shop. He also did the new National Staduim, which is under construction for 2020 TOKYO Olympics.

にほんごのsource
https://www.yomiuri.co.jp/culture/20190309-OYT1T50132/

Last edited by O Sora; Dec 6, 2019 at 12:02 pm
Old Mar 24, 2019, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM *G, NH Plat/SFC, HH Diamond, GE
It's still a crazy wait. My wife went at 8am and got ticket number 67. They sent her a text at 11am saying it was her turn to go in. She didn't make it to the store until about 3pm and by that time the ticket numbers were higher than 4000. They still let her in with her ticket and she said the design of the shop is pretty incredible. The lines are only going to get worse now that hanami season has started.
LapLap and JMBResona like this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by MattEvan
There is a Sbux Roastery branch in Ginza Six. Itís far superior to the US branches (the one in NYC is a money sucking tourist trap), and dare I say, made excellent coffee with beautiful processes.
Technically the one in Ginza Six isn't a Roastery, but just carries Starbucks Reserve products like the one in Hibiya Midtown.

I like it, if only because of the reserve seating for Reserve customers--which is a god send at 2PM on a weekend.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:25 pm

Programs: Thai Airways
We arrived about 1130 am on a Monday 2 weeks ago and was informed that the queue would be about 2 hours. Went for lunch in a Thai restaurant about 5 minutes walk ago and a stroll around the neighbourhood which has many small boutique style shops adjacent to the river and the 2 hours went quickly.

I am not a fan of Starbucks Coffee or the brand, but if a person has time to wait it is well worth going to, not just for the choice of coffee, but for the design, ambience, etc.

A few improvements could be made:
- queue tickets have to be obtained and paid for about 20 mins from the entrance. There seemed to be no information or notices to inform locals or tourists and many people of various Nationalities were asking near the entrance
- once inside there ws a long queue on the ground floor to buy coffee, cakes, etc. One or two levels up it is possible to buy coffee, ckaes, etc with little or no queue. Staff don't inform people about this.

Apart from the above I can't imagine how big tour groups (Japanese or international) could be accommodated.

To sum up if you have 2 or 3 days in Tokyo then there are much better places to visit, unless you are a big fan of Starbucks or want to see the place. There are tons of places to drink great coffee in Tokyo.

If you have been to Tokyo many times as I have then for now it is worth a visit.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 5:47 pm

Got to try the Roastery in Seattle last week (did not know about it until seeing this thread). The quality is unbelievable. Might be the best I've ever had. And the service/staff was exceptional. If you sit at the bar, the bartender brings you samples of different things to try for free. There is nothing in common between Starbucks and Starbucks Roastery.

If the Tokyo one is as good as the Seattle one, and I'm sure it is, then it is definitely worth a visit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.