FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Japan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-509/)
-   -   Haneda Airport (HND) Layover & Hotel Master Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan/1958207-haneda-airport-hnd-layover-hotel-master-thread.html)

labaya Mar 9, 2017 10:58 am

Haneda Airport (HND) Layover & Hotel Master Thread

Hello, I have a long 8 hour layover at Haneda Airport (ultimate destination Thailand). I am a U.S. Citizen and have never been out of country. Can anyone please tell me if I would have time to leave the airport and get a Tokyo experience and come back in time to make my flight? I will be arriving at Haneda at 3:30 p.m. and leaving out of Haneda at 12:05 a.m. I am CLUELESS about the procedures/protocol for leaving the airport and coming back in. I've read people saying things something about leaving the airport and coming back in and going through and "immigration" process to do that; but I don't even know what that means. What is the "immigration" process and why would it take so long to go through that process just to leave and come back to an airport? (That's one part of my question....and what other processes will I have to go through that would take up time to leave/return to the airport.) Next question is how long would it take me to get to somewhere in Tokyo where I could 'experience' it - even if just for a few hours? How much would something like that cost? Finally, any suggestions on the best places to 'experience' Tokyo in just a few hours? And with your suggestions, tell me all that I could do to capitalize on that time? Sorry for so many questions. Remember, I'm a NEWBIE...I need help!

angra Mar 9, 2017 7:05 pm

welcome to flyertalk!

when you go from one country to another, there is usually some sort of control point to decide who may enter the country. There are, of course exceptions.

One exception is often if you have a flight from country A to country B, stopping in country C. In many airports, you can remain in a holding area, that is considered "outside" country C for the purposes of accesses control, while you wait for your onward flight. I believe HND is one of those airports.

If you decide to leave the holding area, you'll have to officially "enter" Japan, which means going through the access control process. That's what people mean by "immigration". For US citizens, normally all that is required is a US passport, and filling out a form. If you decide to enter Japan, you should not take our word for it, and check this on your own so that you know the rules.

The main reason it can take a long time is if there are long lines. The actual time you spend interacting with an agent will most likely be very small. A few minutes at most. But, if a bunch of flights land at near the same time, lines can get long.

I think you should have time go to into the city and do something and get back in plenty of time for your flight, but I'll defer to a local expert on that. Transit costs will depend on where you go. I want to say that it should be $10-$15 for a round trip train ride to most of central tokyo. There are infinite things you could do, and the choice will depend heavily on your interests.

ksandness Mar 9, 2017 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by labaya (Post 28014441)
Hello, I have a long 8 hour layover at Haneda Airport (ultimate destination Thailand). I am a U.S. Citizen and have never been out of country. Can anyone please tell me if I would have time to leave the airport and get a Tokyo experience and come back in time to make my flight? I will be arriving at Haneda at 3:30 p.m. and leaving out of Haneda at 12:05 a.m. I am CLUELESS about the procedures/protocol for leaving the airport and coming back in. I've read people saying things something about leaving the airport and coming back in and going through and "immigration" process to do that; but I don't even know what that means. What is the "immigration" process and why would it take so long to go through that process just to leave and come back to an airport? (That's one part of my question....and what other processes will I have to go through that would take up time to leave/return to the airport.) Next question is how long would it take me to get to somewhere in Tokyo where I could 'experience' it - even if just for a few hours? How much would something like that cost? Finally, any suggestions on the best places to 'experience' Tokyo in just a few hours? And with your suggestions, tell me all that I could do to capitalize on that time? Sorry for so many questions. Remember, I'm a NEWBIE...I need help!

As long as you stay inside of security, you are considered not to have entered Japan. In order to leave the secure area, even just to visit the shops outside of security, you have to go through Immigration, because if you were an illegal immigrant, there would be nothing to prevent you from going out of the shop area and into Tokyo. This means that you should fill out a landing card on the plane or in the Immigration area.

Once your plane lands, you will have two options, either Transit or Immigration. Since you want to go landside, you need to go through Immigration. They'll basically just ask a few questions and stamp your passport. Coming back, you'll have to go through security.

I assume your luggage is checked through, so you won't have to go through the baggage claim. You might want to change a bit of money.

Otherwise, read the Haneda Airport website for transit options. For an overview of Tokyo, take the monorail to Hamamatsucho and transfer to the Yamanote Line, which circles the central city. You will have time for maybe one or two stops before you head back. Shibuya is the epitome of modern, trendy Tokyo. Ueno is more traditional. Akihabara is gamer geek heaven.

You will find plenty of places to eat and drink. There seem to be dozens on each block. Just note that if the place doesn't have a menu or plastic models or some other indication of the price posted outside, you may not be able to afford it.

By the way, it shouldn't be $10-15 for transportation just to get into Tokyo. You can take advantage of this deal for a real Tokyo experience:

http://www.tokyo-monorail.co.jp/engl.../yamanote.html

Just don't take the Yamanote Line during rush hour, although, admittedly, that is a quintessential Tokyo experience.

muji Mar 9, 2017 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by labaya (Post 28014441)
Hello, I have a long 8 hour layover at Haneda Airport (ultimate destination Thailand). I'm a NEWBIE...I need help!

Welcome, labaya !

Is there any way you could re-set your flight itinerary to include something like a 2-day stopover in Japan? If you could, you would be able to get over jet lag a bit and have a fun experience in Tokyo with way less stress as a first-time-out-of-the-U.S. traveler.

invisible Jun 8, 2017 9:12 pm

HND with 5h layover

My wife is going to have 5h layover at HND. Flight arrives at 7:15PM and connecting leaves at 12:15AM. She does not have status with any airline and Priority Pass does not have any lounges at HND.

Does it worth to try to get out from the airport and where would one go and do within 3h timeframe which would include time to get in and out too?

If to much hassle, to get out, what once can do at the airport, both landside and airside?

armagebedar Jun 8, 2017 9:43 pm

I suggest you take a look at some recently posted threads asking very similar questions to yours:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan...a-airport.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan...g-layover.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan...ut-haneda.html

Please also try doing a search if the above don't adequately answer your question.

boggler Jul 16, 2017 2:26 pm

5 hour layover HND International to Domestic

Hi,

Travelling with my 5 year old on the BA flight LHR-HND next week which arrives around 0700 into HND. We then have a 12:30pm domestic departure on JAL from HND-FUK. During that time, we will be meeting a friend at around 8 or 9am for a quick catch up.
Is there any landside lounge, rest area or short stay hotel we can use near to the domestic terminal? I am quite conscious of the fact that it will be the middle of the night back in the UK so jetlag will be kicking in. Also, with a child in tow, I'm hoping to check in my luggage for the domestic flight asap after landing. Any advice would be more than welcome! Thanks in advance!

CPH-Flyer Jul 16, 2017 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by boggler (Post 28567723)
Hi,

Travelling with my 5 year old on the BA flight LHR-HND next week which arrives around 0700 into HND. We then have a 12:30pm domestic departure on JAL from HND-FUK. During that time, we will be meeting a friend at around 8 or 9am for a quick catch up.
Is there any landside lounge, rest area or short stay hotel we can use near to the domestic terminal? I am quite conscious of the fact that it will be the middle of the night back in the UK so jetlag will be kicking in. Also, with a child in tow, I'm hoping to check in my luggage for the domestic flight asap after landing. Any advice would be more than welcome! Thanks in advance!

There is a domestic check in counter in the international terminal when you arrive. Once you have rechecked your luggage, you can either take the inter terminal bus or the monorail or Keikyu train to the domestic JAL terminal. The Keikyu station is the same for both ANA and JAL terminals. You can get a free ticket by going to the information counter. (there is also a domestic security check and a bus after that in the international terminal. But that will bring you airside)

There are plenty of cafes and restaurants in the domestic terminal land side. Nothing super exciting though.
​​​
​​​​​​

JALPak Jul 16, 2017 5:07 pm

Try First Cabin if you need a place for a short rest.

kaka Jul 16, 2017 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 28568020)
There is a domestic check in counter in the international terminal when you arrive. Once you have rechecked your luggage, you can either take the inter terminal bus or the monorail or Keikyu train to the domestic JAL terminal. The Keikyu station is the same for both ANA and JAL terminals. You can get a free ticket by going to the information counter. (there is also a domestic security check and a bus after that in the international terminal. But that will bring you airside)

There are plenty of cafes and restaurants in the domestic terminal land side. Nothing super exciting though.
​​​
​​​​​​

how about the observation deck cafe

CPH-Flyer Jul 16, 2017 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by kaka (Post 28568734)
how about the observation deck cafe

True the views are great, the food is hardly more than so so. I was mainly thinking exciting in terms of food.

NewbieRunner Jul 17, 2017 6:26 am

Since the question is not specific to JAL the thread has been moved to the Japan forum.

NewbieRunner
Senior Moderator

AlwaysAisle Jul 17, 2017 6:39 am

Domestic JAL flights depart from Terminal 1. Non-secure area of the terminal, on 1st floor arrival area there a lounge, it is simple lounge with sofa chairs, that is pretty much it. 1080 yen per person, 540 yen per person for age 4-12, free for age 0-3.

This lounge also have shower, if you want to use shower then, 2160 yen per person, 1620 yen per person for age 4-12, and 1080 yen per person for age 0-3.

jib71 Jul 17, 2017 8:38 am

Perhaps the OP might as well hang out in the International Terminal for the morning. There are restaurants and an observation deck where you could meet your friend. There's a shower facility just off the arrivals hall (http://www.haneda-airport.jp/inter/e...n.html#refresh) or you could use a "relaxation room" at the transit hotel
http://www.rph-the.co.jp/haneda/en/

Warning - The shower facility was full last time I tried to use it at after a BA arrival at 7:00am

boggler Jul 17, 2017 2:18 pm

Thanks for all the tips. It is much appreciated!