FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
Print Wikipost

Haneda Airport (HND) Layover & Hotel Master Thread

Old Jun 15, 2019, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by nutwpinut
There are lots of coin lockers at the airport or for if your bags are really big or a lot there is a service counter to store luggage. You can store the luggage at the airport and then go into the city without having to lug it. HND is very close to Tokyo. You can be in Tokyo within 30 minutes. I would say you might have about 3 hours for your layover depending on your level of comfort. You can store at the train station as well for when you do the transfer from NRT-HND.
I'm confused. Why would I want to storage my luggage at NRT if I'm flying out of HND?
Old Jun 15, 2019, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ksandness
Both good suggestions. If you want to see futuristic Tokyo during your stopover at Haneda, take the monorail to Hamamatsucho and then transfer to the Yamanote Line to Shimbashi. There you can pick up the fully automated Yuri Kamome Line and take the curlycue Rainbow Bridge to the artificial island of Odaiba. Since you're arriving near sunset (Japan does not observe summer Daylight Saving Time, so it's dark by 7:30 in the summer), your main impression will be of the lights of Tokyo. Otherwise, wander around the streets of Shimbashi. It's full of little bars and restaurants.

On the way back from Narita to Haneda, maximize your time by taking the Keisei Skyliner to Keisei Ueno. JR Ueno, a short distance away, has lockers. (Or, if the timing is right, you can take the N'Ex that goes to JR Ueno). Near Ueno is Ameya Yokocho, a street market selling all sorts of things that only residents need, but it's fun to walk through. Ueno Park will also be open, and you may be early enough to check out some of the temples and museums. Or, you may prefer to take the metro three stops (just a few minutes) to Asakusa to see the Sensoji Temple.

By the time you need to go to Haneda, the worst of the rush hour will be over, so hop onto the Yamanote Line to Shinagawa to catch the Keikyu or to Hamamatsucho to catch the monorail.
Just to be clear, I was actually in Tokyo in May, but I miss the city a lot. I did go to Asakusa. Would it still be advisable to store luggage at JR Ueno if I want to walk around Ginza? Are the lockers big enough for 28" suitcase?
Old Jun 15, 2019, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by lsquare
I'm confused. Why would I want to storage my luggage at NRT if I'm flying out of HND?
My bad, I read your message wrong. I thought you were flying from the same airport. If you are flying from the same airport you can store it at the airport. If not, you can store it at the train station. There will be big enough lockers for your suitcase, but there aren't many of them at each location, so you might have to walk around to find an open locker. I find it is easier to get a locker inside the paid area of the train station than outside the paid area of the train station.

Edit: You will get more locker choices at larger train stations.
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by nutwpinut; Jun 15, 2019 at 10:15 pm Reason: Added more info
Old Jun 15, 2019, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nutwpinut
My bad, I read your message wrong. I thought you were flying from the same airport. If you are flying from the same airport you can store it at the airport. If not, you can store it at the train station. There will be big enough lockers for your suitcase, but there aren't many of them at each location, so you might have to walk around to find an open locker. I find it is easier to get a locker inside the paid area of the train station than outside the paid area of the train station.

Edit: You will get more locker choices at larger train stations.
Let's just say that there are no lockers in the train station. Then what?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 6:28 am

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
Let's just say that there are no lockers in the train station. Then what?
If you go to a larger station like Shinjuku or Tokyo station there will be a baggage storage service that you could use instead of coin lockers. It will be more expensive and might take more time to walk to. Here's an article on Shinjuku and Tokyo station. Shibuya and other larger stations might have it as well. https://www.shinjukustation.com/shin...-and-delivery/ Coin Lockers/Baggage Storage at Tokyo Station?Tokyo Station City
lsquare likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 7:52 am

Also, some stations have real-time availability online (or physical kiosk in the station)

​​​​​​Eg Coin Lockers/Baggage Storage at Tokyo Station?Tokyo Station City

The longterm Tokyo manned baggage counter is a little out of the way (separate building, need to take elevator down).

The short-term sfirage in Tokyo station (Jr east travel center, one in yaesu and one in maranouchi side) is more convenient if you can find it, but only offers same-day storage (which is fine for OP)
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by paperwastage; Jun 16, 2019 at 8:00 am
Old Jun 16, 2019, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are these places cash only? I guess I'll have to get some cash before I arrive if that's the case. I was a little surprised at how cash reliant Japan is. I still think Hong Kong and Singapore is ahead of Tokyo when it comes to contactless payments and credit card acceptance.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 2:52 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
One little note I'd add is use the inside gates lockers only if you're going back that way. If you end up using a non-connected line for your onward travel, buying a platform ticket just to retrieve your luggage adds unnecessary time and expense.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 4:50 pm

Are these places cash only? I guess I'll have to get some cash before I arrive if that's the case. I was a little surprised at how cash reliant Japan is. I still think Hong Kong and Singapore is ahead of Tokyo when it comes to contactless payments and credit card acceptance.
mostly cash only

I suggest getting a suica, especially if visiting/transiting Japan often enough (iPhone 8 and above supports electronic suica and refilling with credit card, might make things easier)

Most (70%?) Lockers at major train station support suica or cash(notes/coin), and suica/receipt acts as the key. Some lockers (generally at smaller stations, random roadside) support 100yen coin only (and you have to keep the locker key)

I think hkg octopus is slightly above suica in terms of nontransit usability/acceptance. Singapote just rolled out contactless credit for their subway, but it's pointless for foreign cards ($0.50 fee per posting)
Old Jun 16, 2019, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paperwastage
mostly cash only

I suggest getting a suica, especially if visiting/transiting Japan often enough (iPhone 8 and above supports electronic suica and refilling with credit card, might make things easier)

Most (70%?) Lockers at major train station support suica or cash(notes/coin), and suica/receipt acts as the key. Some lockers (generally at smaller stations, random roadside) support 100yen coin only (and you have to keep the locker key)

I think hkg octopus is slightly above suica in terms of nontransit usability/acceptance. Singapote just rolled out contactless credit for their subway, but it's pointless for foreign cards ($0.50 fee per posting)
Do you know if iPhone 7 (North America) and an Apple Watch Series 4 will work? I know only the iPhone 7 from Japan support Suica.

Not sure I agree with you that Octopus is slightly ahead of Suica. Of course this is going to be subjective based on our own experiences, but most places that I go to in HK accept Octopus. The only bad thing is that there's no way to reload Octopus with credit card easily like you can with Suica.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 5:38 pm

Do you know if iPhone 7 (North America) and an Apple Watch Series 4 will work? I know only the iPhone 7 from Japan support Suica.
iphone 7 US - nope

Apple watch series 4 - yes

Apple Pay & Suica on iPhone/Apple Watch in Japan [consolidated thread]

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207154

https://atadistance.net/apple-pay-su...etting-Started

it takes some time to set up - suggest you do it before traveling. with this, you can try to avoid taking cash out (travel on subway, eat at 7/11/vending machines)

Not sure I agree with you that Octopus is slightly ahead of Suica. Of course this is going to be subjective based on our own experiences, but most places that I go to in HK accept Octopus. The only bad thing is that there's no way to reload Octopus with credit card easily like you can with Suica.
perhaps slightly is an understatement

octopus > suica > singapore ezlink/netsflashpay(?)

Last edited by paperwastage; Jun 16, 2019 at 5:43 pm
Old Jun 16, 2019, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paperwastage
iphone 7 US - nope

Apple watch series 4 - yes

Apple Pay & Suica on iPhone/Apple Watch in Japan [consolidated thread]

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207154

https://atadistance.net/apple-pay-su...etting-Started

it takes some time to set up - suggest you do it before travelig

perhaps slightly is an understatement

octopus > suica > singapore ezlink/netsflashpay(?)
I think that looks about right. I do feel that credit card acceptance in Singapore is ahead of Tokyo and Japan in general.

I know I can't use the iPhone 7 from the US, but if my Apple Series 4 watch is paired to my IP7 from the US, will Suica work? I'll check out that thread.

Thx.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 6:38 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
I know I can't use the iPhone 7 from the US, but if my Apple Series 4 watch is paired to my IP7 from the US, will Suica work? I'll check out that thread.
Yes.^ My JP Watch 2 worked fine with a US iPhone 6S.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rustykettel

Yes.^ My JP Watch 2 worked fine with a US iPhone 6S.
I'm surprised the JP Watch 2 work. I thought Suica is only supported from S3 and above.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 3:52 pm

Programs: Global Entry · WN, UA, AS, DL, NH; IHG, Wyndham, Hilton, Best Value Inn, Marriott, Starwood, Ramada
I would alter your choice of IC Card to PASMO rather than Suica, but that is a personal preference for me. (I have a personalized PASMO card.)
More stridently, I suggest not going that far from HND. Take a Keikyu train to Keikyu-Kamata, and walk west-northwest from it. {This is in the direction of the J.R. Line.} There is a covered shopping street in Kamata 4-chome with intriguing shops and restaurants. Ota Ward does not get a lot of visitors despite its proximity to HND. So you won't perceive a "touristy" atmosphere.
lsquare and FlitBen like this.

Last edited by pudgym29; Jun 28, 2019 at 10:18 pm Reason: incorrect chome

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.