Old Oct 22, 2019, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
Print Wikipost

Haneda Airport (HND) Layover & Hotel Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2017, 2:45 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
The international terminal will be a much better experience. Many restaurants and some exhibits.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
your 5 yr old will enjoy they toy store across from the observation decks http://www.haneda-airport.jp/inter/e...000/index.html

If you have more time, you could take the monorail from the airport to hamamatsucho and back, and I don't think you'll have enough time for that. There are other lounge/play areas of cultural japan in Haneda.

http://www.haneda-airport.jp/inter/e...dren.html#kids

http://www.haneda-airport.jp/inter/e...hers.html#deck
Old Jul 17, 2017, 8:48 pm

There is an observation deck on the top floor, and also a restaurant floor in the international terminal (above departures check-in counters). The food there is pretty decent.

If you are staying in the international terminal throughout, after your meeting, you can head back down to the arrivals floor where the domestic check-in counters are located. Right opposite is the security check for domestic flights. You can use this security check counters and take the bus directly from the international terminal to the secure areas of the domestic terminal. The bus ride will also give you a nice ride through the apron of HND.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 5:11 am

Programs: UA Gold
10 hour layover at Haneda

As the title suggests, I have a long layover at Haneda this saturday and I was wondering what suggestions there are for things to do during it. A friend of mine suggested I visit shinjuku, but I was wondering what the logistics of this would be and also if there are any specific restaurants or other attractions I should visit.

Specifically, I'm arriving on a Red-Eye from Shanghai at 5:40am and I'm departing for San Francisco at 3:40pm. I figured that there is some train I could take to Shinjuku fairly easily, is there anything else I would need to know? Should probably also say I speak no Japanese at all. Also curious about how accepted credit cards are, specifically for train tickets/taxis/restaurants and such.

I'm sure I'm not alone in saying I love Sushi, and I'd love any suggestions for good Omakase for Lunch. Also, if any FTers are around, I'd be happy to meet up!

Anyway, I appreciate any suggestions and advice!
-Steven
Old Aug 20, 2017, 5:42 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
It all depends on what is your interest. There are a lot to do in Tokyo, recommending items which you have no interest will be moot point.

You are in Tokyo for Saturday, so morning rush hour is very minimal, not like weekdays so getting places from Haneda Airport using public transportation should be no problem in the morning. However, you are arriving very early in the morning. Many things, including museums, shops, restaurants, etc. will not open till 9 – 10 in the morning. Because of this actual practical time you have to do things and look around likely will be a lot less than 10 hrs.

If you are into Japanese public bath, Sento (銭湯), there are facility near Haneda Airport which is open 24 hrs. or from early in the morning. Upon arriving at Haneda Airport can head to these places called “Super Sento (銭湯), and relax and spend time till when everything will start open in the city.

Last edited by AlwaysAisle; Aug 20, 2017 at 5:49 am
Old Aug 20, 2017, 4:41 pm

If I was in your situation I would hit tsukiji first and go for breakfast sushi. I'm guessing you'd get out of the airport around 6:30 and tsukiji can take you to about 9 am. then, I would go to akihabara, walk to okachimachi, then ueno and walk around ameyoko. That would take you to about 1 Pm, and I imagine there are a lot of lunch places there. I would then take the ginza line to asakusa and visit the temple, which should keep you entertained until roughly 3 pm, where you can take an asakusa line train to haneda. This would actually be tight....

EDIT : Misread the original post. If your flight out of SFO I would leave Asakusa by 1PM. I would probably skip the walk from Akihabara to Ameyoko. Haneda is somewhat interesting at the observation decks too. The monorail to Haneda I think could be interesting as well if you don't take the subway there.

EDIT: just saw a youtube about ameyoko so here it is

Last edited by closetasfan; Aug 23, 2017 at 6:23 pm
Old Aug 20, 2017, 4:48 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
If your flight to SFO is at 3:40 pm, bumbling around Asakusa until 3:00 would be insane. You'll need to be back at HND by 2:30 pm latest. 2pm is better.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 2:49 pm

Programs: United Mileageplus
9hr Layover in HND. What to do?

I have 9 hours in HND (1:50pm - 11:30pm). I'd love to take in some sights and culture outside of the airport. Seems like enough time to get into Tokyo.

Any recommendations/advice/tips on checking things out and getting back in time for my connection?

Thanks in advance
Old Sep 14, 2017, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I assume you have bags checked through ( or no bags) and your connecting flight boarding pass prior to leaving the airport in the afternoon ?

Are you interested in temples, gardens, museums etc?

Have you been to tokyo before? and when are you going ie Autumn or winter?

A few possible suggestions ( a lot of gardens may close at 5-6pm depending on Season):

Stroll along Ginza
See the Senso temple at Asakusa ( possibly go up the SkyTree tower close by)
A visit to Shibuya
A walk around the Imperial Palace East Gardens if you get there midafternoon
A visit to Odaiba

You will not get to do everything but you could get a quick visit to some of them.

I'm sure other more expert posters on Tokyo will comment soon.

Regards

TBS
Old Sep 14, 2017, 4:26 pm

first thing that comes to my mind is asakusa. there should be trains directly to there and back. other sites nearby are ueno (ameyoko), akihabara, ginza. I would stay close to the toei asakusa subway line for easy connections back to haneda or along the yamanote route to get on the monorail back
Old Sep 14, 2017, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Except for the new Kabukiza, the main streets of Ginza are just a lot of stores and corporate headquarters. (Yes, there may be cool things on the side streets, but really, I don't understand the fuss about it.)

The important question is what you are interested in? Tokyo has something for everyone. "What should I do during my nine-hour layover?" is far too broad a question.

It's like asking, 'What should I do during a nine-hour layover in London or New York?"

For ease of transportation, take the monorail to Hamamatsu-cho and hop onto the (sort of) circular Yamanote commuter train (silver with a green stripe). One circuit will give you an overview of the central city. It doesn't really matter which direction you go, since it is a circle after all.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 7:27 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Go to Tokyo Skytree (a direct train from HND). Great views on a clear day of the entire city.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I like Yokohama. It's very accessible in 22-25 minutes or so by train from Haneda. Minatomirai and the Red Brick Warehouse areas are nice and pleasant to walk around.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 11:39 am

Programs: UA Gold
HND Overnight layover question

Hi all, sorry to make a new HND layover question; I tried to look at previous questions but don't seem to find similar questions to mine. My family and I (2 adults, toddler and infant) will be flying NH ORD-HND, arriving HND 8:30pm and leaving the next day from HND at 10:15am. I'm planning to stay at Keikyu Inn Haneda, price seems good ($75 for double room) and close to Haneda. Any thoughts about this accommodation? I'm open to other suggestions.

Do you all have any recommendations for dinner option (something like ramen, sushi, katsu) around the area? I'd prefer not to travel too much as we're lugging 2 kids who might not be in such a good mood after long flight. Or, do you all think it's worth it to go to Shinjuku/Shibuya area?

Thanks for all the help!
Old Feb 12, 2018, 3:50 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
I think that hotel is probably fine as a simple place to sleep for the night, near the airport. I guess it's much cheaper than the Haneda Excel Tokyu, which is in the domestic terminal? There is only one place to eat within a short walk of the hotel - it's an Izakaya called Kodaruma Shohei.
https://tabelog.com/en/tokyo/A1315/A...dtlphotolst/1/

For that reason, I suggest that you go to the "Edo Koji Street" inside the International Terminal when you arrive. You'll find a bunch of restaurants there - I would suggest the Portside Kitchen for some carb-heavy comfort food, but if you prefer sushi or katsu, you'll find that too. Even if you're not hungry on arrival, you might want to take away some food from the restaurant or from a convenience store in the airport, in case someone wakes up with an appetite at some silly hour.
Restaurant Listings | Haneda Airport International Terminal

The shuttle bus to the hotel serves the international terminal from 10:30pm. That might be a little too late for you - so you could take the train to Tenkubashi or get a taxi. For well-travelled grown ups, it might be fun to head into Shibuya or Shinjuku for a look at the bright lights. But with the kids in tow, I don't think that's a good idea.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.