Old Oct 22, 2019, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
Print Wikipost

Haneda Airport (HND) Layover & Hotel Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2019, 8:02 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
The Rinkai Line is fast in comparison to the Yurikamome -- one stop straight shot underground to Odaiba from Tennozu Isle.

For someone who had more than 7 hours, I'd recommend the Yurikamome as the ride across the Rainbow Bridge is an attraction in and of itself.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 8:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Depending on the timing, you might be able to take the HND airport limobus to the Andaz for about 1300 yen one way and do their buffet breakfast (note that I'm not sure whether people who aren't hotel guests are allowed) and enjoy the views from one of the tallest buildings in Tokyo. There's also a lobby bar/restaurant next to the buffet breakfast area as well as an even higher bar on the top floor with an evening only small sushi restaurant that I think only has eight seats. If the bus schedules don't work, I think it's about a 7,000 yen taxi fare to/from HND and can take as little as twenty minutes.

Or generally take the limobus with a convenient schedule to a conveniently located major hotel (it would be better to pick an area that's not too far from HND) and then walk around the area, such as the Palace Hotel, Peninsula, Imperial, etc. for the Imperial Palace Gardens and Tokyo station area, also close to Ginza
downinit likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 2:32 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

Depending on the weather you could also take the monorail to the final stop of Hamamatsucho and walk around the Kyu Shibarikyu onshi garden, the Seaside top observatory at the World Trade Centre, and the Hamarikyu gardens close to Shiodome and the southern end of Ginza

Have you been to Tokyo before?...
Yes, I have been to Tokyo before but I don't remember how many times as I don't keep track. Certainly more than 50. Have even had a few unusual experiences, such as cutting a retiring Yokozuna's hair. And for some unknown reason, I actually like the schlock all around Odaiba, go figure.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Yes, I have been to Tokyo before but I don't remember how many times as I don't keep track. Certainly more than 50. Have even had a few unusual experiences, such as cutting a retiring Yokozuna's hair. And for some unknown reason, I actually like the schlock all around Odaiba, go figure.
Hi,

Wow!

Odaiba is certainly interesting with the Museum of Emerging Science ( miraikan) and the Maritime museum ( not sure if it has reopened yet) Venus fort ( the fake italian piazzas) ,the statue of liberty replica, the Gundam statue , the robot customer service assistants at Aqua City , the Christmas Tree outside Decks and the walk along the sand to the Daiba park and the remains of the fortifications and the view over towards the Rainbow Bridge and the tokyo tower ( beautiful at night)- had dinner at Red Lobster in Aqua city which was nice)

Anyway it will be doable from Haneda.

Regards

TBS
Old Mar 1, 2019, 4:12 pm

If going to Odaiba for the day, I would strongly consider hitting up the teamLab Borderless digital art installation at the MORI building: https://borderless.teamlab.art/. Have heard great things about it and we'll be stopping by in June. Also consider purchasing tickets in advance.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 5:44 pm

Have even had a few unusual experiences, such as cutting a retiring Yokozuna's hair.
are you a celebrity?
Old Mar 1, 2019, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Depending on the timing, you might be able to take the HND airport limobus to the Andaz for about 1300 yen one way and do their buffet breakfast
trek into tokyo for breakfast buffet? now you're thinking like me.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by BeachRat
If going to Odaiba for the day, I would strongly consider hitting up the teamLab Borderless digital art installation at the MORI building: https://borderless.teamlab.art/. Have heard great things about it and we'll be stopping by in June. Also consider purchasing tickets in advance.
Indeed, I went to this on my last trip and I really liked it, spent hours there and am planning to go again earlier in this upcoming trip.

May also hit their second exhibition, the Planets one.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by evergrn
are you a celebrity?
Got to know Musashimaru through a friend, an American woman artist who painted portraits of a lot of the rikishi.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 4:37 pm

Got to know Musashimaru through a friend, an American woman artist who painted portraits of a lot of the rikishi.
That’s awesome. Thats something most Japanese people can only dream of doing.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
What to do with 6 hour layover in HND and 7 hours to go from NRT to HND?

I'm looking to fly with ANA to SIN. For the outbound flight, I'm looking at a 6 hour layover in HND. I'm guessing there's probably not enough time to do anything, but stay at the airport? What do you guys think? The flight to HND arrives at 18:30.

For the SIN-NRT flight, I'll arrive at 14:20, but then I gotta get to HND by 21:55 for the inbound flight. That's roughly 7 hours. I'm sure that's more than enough time to get to HND, but is there a place in Tokyo that I can store my suitcase for an hour or two so that I can walk around town? HND doesn't have any Priority Pass lounges and the last time that I was there, I wasn't impressed with the food over there.

Comments?
Old Jun 15, 2019, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by lsquare
I'm looking to fly with ANA to SIN. For the outbound flight, I'm looking at a 6 hour layover in HND. I'm guessing there's probably not enough time to do anything, but stay at the airport? What do you guys think? The flight to HND arrives at 18:30.

For the SIN-NRT flight, I'll arrive at 14:20, but then I gotta get to HND by 21:55 for the inbound flight. That's roughly 7 hours. I'm sure that's more than enough time to get to HND, but is there a place in Tokyo that I can store my suitcase for an hour or two so that I can walk around town? HND doesn't have any Priority Pass lounges and the last time that I was there, I wasn't impressed with the food over there.

Comments?
Hi,

For the outbound, you would have time for maybe 3 hrs in Tokyo City centre (1 hr to clear customs/immigration on arrival, 30mins each way to Tokyo on the Monorail or train and 1 hr at HND prior to departure.

You could take a monorail to Hamamatsucho and go up the seaside top observatory ( last admin at 8pm so could be tight timewise) or go to Tokyo tower ( beautiful at night) or into Odaiba.

On the return most large stations ( tokyo and Shinagawa for example) have lockers ( may be full so you may need to hunt for one ) so you could take the Narita express , drop your bags off , look around ( tokyo station is handy for the Imperial Palace gardens and shopping centre rooftop gardens and Ginza for the high end shops but interesting to walk down)

Regards

TBS
downinit likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 7:28 am

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
There are lots of coin lockers at the airport or for if your bags are really big or a lot there is a service counter to store luggage. You can store the luggage at the airport and then go into the city without having to lug it. HND is very close to Tokyo. You can be in Tokyo within 30 minutes. I would say you might have about 3 hours for your layover depending on your level of comfort. You can store at the train station as well for when you do the transfer from NRT-HND.
downinit likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: UA, NW
Both good suggestions. If you want to see futuristic Tokyo during your stopover at Haneda, take the monorail to Hamamatsucho and then transfer to the Yamanote Line to Shimbashi. There you can pick up the fully automated Yuri Kamome Line and take the curlycue Rainbow Bridge to the artificial island of Odaiba. Since you're arriving near sunset (Japan does not observe summer Daylight Saving Time, so it's dark by 7:30 in the summer), your main impression will be of the lights of Tokyo. Otherwise, wander around the streets of Shimbashi. It's full of little bars and restaurants.

On the way back from Narita to Haneda, maximize your time by taking the Keisei Skyliner to Keisei Ueno. JR Ueno, a short distance away, has lockers. (Or, if the timing is right, you can take the N'Ex that goes to JR Ueno). Near Ueno is Ameya Yokocho, a street market selling all sorts of things that only residents need, but it's fun to walk through. Ueno Park will also be open, and you may be early enough to check out some of the temples and museums. Or, you may prefer to take the metro three stops (just a few minutes) to Asakusa to see the Sensoji Temple.

By the time you need to go to Haneda, the worst of the rush hour will be over, so hop onto the Yamanote Line to Shinagawa to catch the Keikyu or to Hamamatsucho to catch the monorail.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

For the outbound, you would have time for maybe 3 hrs in Tokyo City centre (1 hr to clear customs/immigration on arrival, 30mins each way to Tokyo on the Monorail or train and 1 hr at HND prior to departure.

You could take a monorail to Hamamatsucho and go up the seaside top observatory ( last admin at 8pm so could be tight timewise) or go to Tokyo tower ( beautiful at night) or into Odaiba.

On the return most large stations ( tokyo and Shinagawa for example) have lockers ( may be full so you may need to hunt for one ) so you could take the Narita express , drop your bags off , look around ( tokyo station is handy for the Imperial Palace gardens and shopping centre rooftop gardens and Ginza for the high end shops but interesting to walk down)

Regards

TBS
Thanks! Are the lockers big enough for a 28" suitcase? How much does it cost for storage?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.