Wiki Posts
Search

Recommended NHK Short about Kyoto Craft

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2019, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Recommended NHK Short about Kyoto Craft

Many years ago we had the privilege of being introduced to a charming Kyoto craftsman and his beautiful work. We became fans of his canisters, and of the man himself. He has made an extraordinary contribution to the future of Kyoto crafts, not just those made by his own family.

Just released is this excellent NHK short documentary (15 minutes long) about him and his company. I highly recommend it.
“The Beauty of Tea Caddies: Takahiro Yagi”
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/o...2x9ayszuXUsFbY

When LapChild was one years old (8.5 years ago) we presented her with a Kaikado tin caddy that would age along with her. Yagi San engraved her name on the accompanying scoop. It’s one of our most treasured possessions.
This is a photo of his beautiful deft hands doing this (I’ve blacked out her name). The little engraving tool was custom made by a neighbouring sword smith.

Also recommended is this short featuring the wonderful Toru Tsuji from Kanaami-Tsuji. He is also part of this wave of Kyoto Artisans reaching out to new customers at home and abroad.
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/o...video/3019047/

This is Toru San with my (now rather older) kid weaving happiness as gracefully as he weaves wire:

jib71, kaka and RaginPlainsman like this.

Last edited by LapLap; Sep 14, 2023 at 1:58 am Reason: Reattach image (and add another)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.