Reload this Page >

Overnight at Haneda or in town?

Old Feb 20, 19, 3:22 am
Original Poster
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BAEC Silver

OK... I realise that this may have been asked many times before but my searches have not answered my question so please forgive me...

I am flying into Narita arriving at 1800. My departure is the following day from Haneda at 1105. I did consider just staying at the Royal Park Hotel at Haneda but it is an expensive option. I also considered the pod hotel in Term 1 but that is a bit too basic for me.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a stopover in Tokyo? Given my timings and after the Limo Shuttle from NRT to HND I clearly won't have any time for enjoying Tokyo but I wondered if there was a better option than staying at Haneda Airport? I have never been to Japan before so taking on a train ride in the evening and early morning is not something I would want so transport options to/from the airport need to be easy for a Japan novice.

I am flying out on JAL business class and am Oneworld sapphire for lounges.
Old Feb 20, 19, 3:43 am

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
whats your budget
theres daiichi and conrad near shimbashi, which is right on the way from nrt to hnd and is in the middle of the city.
Old Feb 20, 19, 4:01 am

You have plenty of time to grab a nice meal. Assuming you land on time and setting aside a generous 2 hours for customs + transportation from Narita into Tokyo (Keisei train line or Narita Express train), you'd arrive at 2000, which is plenty enough time for a pleasant late dinner, some city exploration, and then crashing at the hotel for 8 hours of sleep. From the city center (Shinjuku, Ginza, Tokyo Station, wherever) it's about half an hour to get to Haneda on a train.

There are English signs everywhere when it comes to public transportation, and most station attendants can speak enough English to give you directions. I'm biased because I've been to Japan a few times already, but I assure you the city is not difficult to navigate. Google Maps works just fine.
snaxmuppet and rustykettel like this.
Old Feb 20, 19, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Shinagawa is convenient enough (direct services JR NEX from NRT, or the cheaper Keisei Narita Airport line). From Shinagawa there is a direct Keikyu train to HND.
It’s not the most happening area in Tokyo, but there are a few things to do, and there’s plenty to eat.
The area has a wide range of hotels at wide array of price points. Even if you go somewhere cheap and basic you can still enjoy the delightful traditional gardens at the Marriott/Takanawa Prince Hotels complex just like their own guests can.
Really depends on your budget and whether you are looking to redeem points (Bonvoy and ICHG Priority Club are in the area)
kaka and snaxmuppet like this.
Old Feb 20, 19, 6:43 am
Original Poster
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Many thanks for your help/advice.

I shall post what I do in due course
LapLap likes this.
Old Feb 20, 19, 8:50 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA Silver, Hilton Dia, Marriott Plat, Radisson Gold, Hertz 5*
Agreed that Shinagawa would be the textbook place to stay in this case since it has direct train service to both airports and is relatively easy to navigate. If you are flying out on a weekday, you will be going to HND during the morning rush hour, so it's wise to avoid any location where you'd be traveling alongside commuter traffic. Shinagawa should be fine, relatively speaking, since most people are heading into the city in the morning, and the train from there to HND is taking you out of the city.
LapLap and snaxmuppet like this.
Old Feb 20, 19, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just remembered that there is a new APA hotel directly next to Sengakuji station (exit A2).
There is a direct train service from NRT to Sengakuji and from there to HND.
The only caveat is knowing the timetable for those trains. Once you do, and if you feel they are acceptably timed, this might actually be one of the very easiest options for someone who is genuinely nervous about a first visit.
Sengakuji is on the small scale compared to other stations and is within one of Tokyo’s wealthier, historic neighbourhoods (quite close to where the current Emperor and Empress will retire to), still has a homely feel though. APAs are a Hotel chain, rooms are small but scrupulously clean and well maintained and appointed. Cost is moderate. It really depends on what you are after.
There is also a Keikyu Ex Inn at Exit A4 which would be easy to get to. Also moderately priced.

Much more is going on in the Shinagawa area, but you may want to have a walk around Sengakuji using the virtual Google Maps facility to see if this is more your pace and style.
snaxmuppet likes this.
Old Feb 20, 19, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by LapLap View Post
I just remembered that there is a new APA hotel directly next to Sengakuji station (exit A2).
There is a direct train service from NRT to Sengakuji and from there to HND.
The only caveat is knowing the timetable for those trains. Once you do, and if you feel they are acceptably timed, this might actually be one of the very easiest options for someone who is genuinely nervous about a first visit.
Sengakuji is on the small scale compared to other stations and is within one of Tokyo’s wealthier, historic neighbourhoods (quite close to where the current Emperor and Empress will retire to), still has a homely feel though. APAs are a Hotel chain, rooms are small but scrupulously clean and well maintained and appointed. Cost is moderate. It really depends on what you are after.
There is also a Keikyu Ex Inn at Exit A4 which would be easy to get to. Also moderately priced.

Much more is going on in the Shinagawa area, but you may want to have a walk around Sengakuji using the virtual Google Maps facility to see if this is more your pace and style.
There's also a new Tokyu Stay Takanawa which has in-room washer dryer (combo unit).
LapLap likes this.
Old Feb 20, 19, 12:31 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA Silver, Hilton Dia, Marriott Plat, Radisson Gold, Hertz 5*
The only problem with Sengakuji is that you have to take a commuter/subway train to get there, and there is only one direct train from NRT that would work for OP (leaving NRT around 7 pm - weekdays only) so they would otherwise have to change trains at Aoto, which I have personally seen confuse some Japan newbies. Given that Sengakuji is not the most exciting area anyway, I'd be just as inclined to take the bus to HND and stay at one of the cheap hotels right outside the airport.
LapLap likes this.
Old Feb 20, 19, 2:22 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Train to Shinjuku. Place of happenings all night long. Hotels of all budgets available.

In the morning, Limousine bus to Haneda.
Old Feb 21, 19, 2:56 am
Original Poster
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Just to fill you in a little bit more on my situation...

This is part of a Round The World TP run. I will have been flying for 5 days with just two prior overnight stops in Malaga & Delhi. The rest of the time I will be sleeping on flights. So I will be pretty knackered. For that reason I have a booking in the Royal Park Hotel actually in the terminal at Haneda. This is the sensible option. But this is my first time to Japan and it seems a shame to land at NRT, get the Limo Bus to HND and then just stay in the hotel and transfer to the lounge in the morning. I will have seen nothing of Tokyo and whilst sightseeing is not the primary reason for the trip I thought I'd ask the question because if I can find something dead easy travelling then I might feel like a wander round in the evening and at least I can say I have seen a very small part!

So my criteria is easy to travel without using taxis (because of cost), some interesting streetlife and places to eat, hotel costing no more than £100... less if poss as I will only be there for 7 or so hours, then easy to HND. If I don't have confidence in that then I might just stick to the Royal Park. It is the easy option but I see nothing.
Old Feb 21, 19, 3:41 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.6MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*
You could stay at hotel My Stays https://www.mystays.com/en-us/hotel-...-haneda-tokyo/ or https://www.haneda.jalcity.co.jp/ near HND. Take the limo bus to HND, then shuttle to the hotel. Take the train into the city and back. There are other hotels with shuttles to the airport that would be cheaper than the Royal Park Hotel.
snaxmuppet likes this.
Old Feb 21, 19, 4:35 am
Original Poster
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Thanks. I am happy with the price... just the experience will be very bland and non-Japanese. I'll look into that.
Old Feb 21, 19, 5:18 am

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
id say shimbashi thats on the way between the 2 airports is prob best for street life (right under the tracks) without taxis and detour.

but ymmv
Old Feb 21, 19, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kaka View Post
id say shimbashi thats on the way between the 2 airports is prob best for street life (right under the tracks) without taxis and detour.
There is a direct train from NRT to Shimbashi (leaves weekdays at 7:34pm)

The problem might be getting to HND. But Shimbashi is very close to Hamamatsucho which does have a direct service to HND.

Search this Thread