Wiki Posts
Search

How to smartphone roam in Japan?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2019, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest, Hilton
How to smartphone roam in Japan?

Whenever I travel, I always get screwed by At&T. Is there a way to use my smartphone while in Japan and not get charged for roaming. Should I buy a SIM card? New phone. Need to text home and like to roam locally. Many thanks.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mphall
Whenever I travel, I always get screwed by At&T. Is there a way to use my smartphone while in Japan and not get charged for roaming. Should I buy a SIM card? New phone. Need to text home and like to roam locally. Many thanks.
Prepaid SIM - Japan
Old Feb 5, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
Do you need to call or text or can you use Messenger, Line, or We Chat? I used to get a pocket WiFi when I would travel to Japan and never needed to call anyone.
mphall likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 4:03 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I know it is horribly old fashioned but I always keep in touch with home via e-mail. Virtually every hotel has free wi-fi. I can attach photos and write fairly long messages in an e-mail. My *%@#$#$ phone stays turned off and in my bag until on the way home.
mphall and xmzzn123 like this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest, Hilton
I like to use maps in my phone when traveling but Att always gets me when I get my bill.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 4:28 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
local sim is easy and reasonably cheap. is your phone sim unlocked?
mphall likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 4:34 pm
tt7

If it's just you (no travelling companions) and a single phone, then a prepaid data sim may be the way to go ..... alternatively, consider renting a mobile wifi unit - try iVideo. You can order it ahead of time, pick it up at the airport (either the post office or a convenience store, depending on what time you arrive) and they provide an envelope for you to just drop it in the mail when you leave.
mphall likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Do you have International Day Pass turned on?

https://www.att.com/offers/internati.../day-pass.html

I wouldn't use it for a longer trip, but it can be cheaper than a SIM for a short one. Certainly more convenient, and less than regular roaming.
mphall likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 10:56 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
10 a day?
a sim for japan cost me 10usd in HKG (Nippon sim running on IIJ) and it would last me for 7/8 days with 3gb at 4G speeds. (add: 200kbps after- not the worst in life)

Not exactly 10usd on US Amazon Not exactly 10usd on US Amazon
(Gotta go to some mobile phone gadget area in HK to get those) but i dont think 30USD for a 1 week trip would constitute as breaking the bank
mphall likes this.

Last edited by kaka; Feb 7, 2019 at 4:47 pm
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:46 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by nutwpinut
Do you need to call or text or can you use Messenger, Line, or We Chat? I used to get a pocket WiFi when I would travel to Japan and never needed to call anyone.
I use data SIM and can make unlimited free calls to any phone in North America (google hang out), or 1-800 type numbers for free (Skype).

Also used Skype to call hotels in Japan when I would be arriving late due to flight or traffic delays, or when I needed pick up from the ryokan or car rental agency. Costs pennies a minute.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Anytime you are on WiFi, use Skype. It is either free or pennies a minute depending on where you are calling.
mphall likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:56 pm

If you have access to WiFi, there’s no need for using a third party app like Skype if you have WiFi Calling activated on your phone. That way you can use your phone for calls/texts without roaming. That said, any phone calls to Japan numbers will be treated as international calls.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Change to tmo on a plan that has free roaming ?
In addition to the suggestions for calling on wifi, skype - for using maps, texts, etc - since you said ATT gets you I would guess you need international roaming more than this one time
Old Feb 9, 2019, 10:31 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt globalist, Marriott Gold
Anyone have experiences with Google fi in japan? (especially with iphone
I wonder what's the carrier and how's the speed

thanks!
Old Feb 9, 2019, 11:59 pm

I have Iphone through AT&T (US), plan paid for through work. No international roaming except in Canada. Unlocking SIM sounds extremely cumbersome... I'm not sure if I remember correctly, but I think AT&T told me they're not sure if my SIM can be unlocked but that I'd have to submit unlock request at least 3 days prior and then they'll decide if they'll allow the unlock. I don't have time to be messing around with stuff like that right before the trip.

As I understand it, my only option then is pocket wifi. Is that correct? But I can't be bothered with arranging for that ahead of time and having to pick it up, etc. So I just use my wife's Sprint phone which has free roaming in Jpn and HKG. But she doesn't like us sharing her device. Plus even though it's always showing as 3G, the connection is spotty... sometimes really fast, other times really sucks.

In terms of US wireless carriers, is Sprint the best carrier for free roaming in Jpn? (I'm admittedly quite ignorant about US cell phone system since I've always had someone else sign me up)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.