How to smartphone roam in Japan?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to smartphone roam in Japan?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2019, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
I know it is horribly old fashioned but I always keep in touch with home via e-mail. Virtually every hotel has free wi-fi. I can attach photos and write fairly long messages in an e-mail. My *%@#$#$ phone stays turned off and in my bag until on the way home.
We all used to travel that way and, if you can still do that, more power to you.
I've become too dependent on Google Map, Skype, Yahoo Transit and Tabelog, plus you need to look stuff up before you buy something. When I'm in Jpn or HKG, it's hard to go anywhere without my wife since I don't have her phone (which has Jpn roaming; mine doesn't).
mphall and kaka like this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 12:24 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by evergrn
I have Iphone through AT&T (US), plan paid for through work. No international roaming except in Canada. Unlocking SIM sounds extremely cumbersome... I'm not sure if I remember correctly, but I think AT&T told me they're not sure if my SIM can be unlocked but that I'd have to submit unlock request at least 3 days prior and then they'll decide if they'll allow the unlock. I don't have time to be messing around with stuff like that right before the trip.

As I understand it, my only option then is pocket wifi. Is that correct? But I can't be bothered with arranging for that ahead of time and having to pick it up, etc. So I just use my wife's Sprint phone which has free roaming in Jpn and HKG. But she doesn't like us sharing her device. Plus even though it's always showing as 3G, the connection is spotty... sometimes really fast, other times really sucks.

In terms of US wireless carriers, is Sprint the best carrier for free roaming in Jpn? (I'm admittedly quite ignorant about US cell phone system since I've always had someone else sign me up)
First of all, once a phone is unlocked it stays unlocked - you can do this any time not just right before a trip.
Second the unlock process is pretty easy - usually the carrier just does it or tells you to type something in on your phone - really not a big deal
When I used tmo in Japan (free roaming) it was blazingly fast (Tokyo and osaka) - there was no special being advertised so I don't know if I was just lucky or that's the way it alway is (WAYYYYY faster than any other country I've roamed with them)
I found tmo customer service to be much better than Sprint - but it worked well in Japan - I had each service at different times
mphall likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:15 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
google fi works reasonably in japan afaik. @ryandc99 care to comment?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest, Hilton
Att

Submit unlock request thru website but wrote down confirmation number. If you owe nothing on phone they should unlock it. Only thing they have ever done for me without a fee.

I have Iphone through AT&T (US), plan paid for through work. No international roaming except in Canada. Unlocking SIM sounds extremely cumbersome... I'm not sure if I remember correctly, but I think AT&T told me they're not sure if my SIM can be unlocked but that I'd have to submit unlock request at least 3 days prior and then they'll decide if they'll allow the unlock. I don't have time to be messing around with stuff like that right before the trip.

As I understand it, my only option then is pocket wifi. Is that correct? But I can't be bothered with arranging for that ahead of time and having to pick it up, etc. So I just use my wife's Sprint phone which has free roaming in Jpn and HKG. But she doesn't like us sharing her device. Plus even though it's always showing as 3G, the connection is spotty... sometimes really fast, other times really sucks.

In terms of US wireless carriers, is Sprint the best carrier for free roaming in Jpn? (I'm admittedly quite ignorant about US cell phone system since I've always had someone else sign me up)

Last edited by armagebedar; Feb 12, 2019 at 10:53 pm Reason: fixed broken quote
Old Feb 10, 2019, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by kaka
google fi works reasonably in japan afaik. @ryandc99 care to comment?
google fi has LOTS of issues with "compatible" phones so if u don't have a pixel you may have issues that those with pixels do not have!
kaka likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by estnet
First of all, once a phone is unlocked it stays unlocked - you can do this any time not just right before a trip.
Second the unlock process is pretty easy - usually the carrier just does it or tells you to type something in on your phone - really not a big deal
So you just request the unlock once, and then my iPhone can stay unlocked forever whether I'm in Jpn/HKG or back in US, whether I have a foreign SIM or the original SIM reinserted? Is there any disadvantage to a perpetually unlocked phone? When I talked to the AT&T rep a couple years ago, they made it seem like unlocking might be possible but not simple either given the type of account I have (paid for through my employer).

With regards to Google Fi, it sounds like it'll work with iPhone 6 but there are various caveats. Plus it sounds like I'll still need to unlock my phone, hence running into the same issue as above. What are people's experiences with Google Fi in Jpn on iPhone?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
Google Fi is great! My wife and I have been using it for 7 months in Japan. The first 2 months was semi-terrible, had to turn on airplane mode then turn it off sometimes when switching towers, but I haven't done that in almost 6 months since an update went through. The speed is great, but slows down a lot when there is a big crowd that is not normal. At some of the larger events we have gone, we notice a sharp decline in speed as we compete with those who have a local phone that gets priority. "Normal crowds" like on the train don't affect the speed that much.

We've also had good results with Google Fi in the Philippines, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia Airport, and Indonesia Airport.

Originally Posted by xmzzn123
Anyone have experiences with Google fi in japan? (especially with iphone
I wonder what's the carrier and how's the speed

thanks!
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:08 am

do you have iPhone or android?
Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Do you have International Day Pass turned on?

https://www.att.com/offers/internati.../day-pass.html

I wouldn't use it for a longer trip, but it can be cheaper than a SIM for a short one. Certainly more convenient, and less than regular roaming.
That can really get you in trouble if you, say, use your phone for Google maps while looking for a client's office and then forget to turn off data. (Voice of experience) I normally just use the hotel's wi-fi, and, if I need to consult maps that my city atlases don't cover while I'm out and about, I take advantage of Starbucks' free wi-fi. (There's always a Starbucks nearby in the larger cities.) The only disadvantage of Starbucks free wi-fi is that you have to sign up for it from some place that isn't a Starbucks. I used my hotel's wi-fi when I signed up and have not had any problems since.

I have never rented a pocket wi-fi, but I may do so in the future.

It used to be possible for foreign visitors to buy a pre-paid phone, but it no longer is. Something about criminals using them. (I guess there are no criminals with Japanese citizenship or who are in one of the legal residence categories--student, worker, dependent, etc.) It sure was nice while it lasted, though. US$60 for a phone and enough minutes to keep the average person happy for two weeks.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
So you just request the unlock once, and then my iPhone can stay unlocked forever whether I'm in Jpn/HKG or back in US, whether I have a foreign SIM or the original SIM reinserted? Is there any disadvantage to a perpetually unlocked phone? When I talked to the AT&T rep a couple years ago, they made it seem like unlocking might be possible but not simple either given the type of account I have (paid for through my employer).
The unlock is permanent. I can't imagine any disadvantage for an unlocked phone.

For iPhone, carrier sends request to Apple to "turn off" the lock. Every time you swap a SIM with your iPhone, the phone connects to Apple server to check for lock status.

For other phones, carrier gives you an unlock code (a series of digits) you enter on your phone.
evergrn likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:49 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by ksandness
That can really get you in trouble if you, say, use your phone for Google maps while looking for a client's office and then forget to turn off data. (Voice of experience)
Yeah, $10/day unexpectedly can bite, but better than straight roaming without that on an account.

Before VZW's version was available in Japan on our first trip, I parked my wife and went to get cash and bus tickets and a couple other things. Walking back, I start getting emails from VZW (connected via HND's wifi) that I had roaming charges. $90 later I reach my wife who innocently turned off airplane mode and started surfing while waiting for me. Live and learn.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Roaming in Japan

My phone is unlocked and I want to do data roaming in Japan. I don't want to call anyone just text. Any cheap way to do this?
Old Feb 28, 2019, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

I have used all the wifi I care to in Seville and when it came time to buy tickets for some attraction, I totalled up a lot of dollars trying to access my ticket. There must be a cheaper way in other countries. I would love to tell ATT adios as they have been awful the last few years.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by mphall
I have used all the wifi I care to in Seville and when it came time to buy tickets for some attraction, I totalled up a lot of dollars trying to access my ticket. There must be a cheaper way in other countries. I would love to tell ATT adios as they have been awful the last few years.
Did you mean data instead of wifi?
tmobile????, buy a local sim, google fi (altho my experience with them has been dreadful if there are any problems they are cheap), sprint (also horrible customer support)
Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by mphall
My phone is unlocked and I want to do data roaming in Japan. I don't want to call anyone just text.
If by "text" you mean SMS, then you've asked two different questions. Even if you don't place or receive voice calls, SMS uses the voice portion of wireless service, not data. So, you need more than a "data only" SIM. However, if by "text" you mean installed apps, or possibly iMessage between iOS devices, then that's just data.

As far as what service to use, if you have US-based T-Mobile or Sprint service, then you don't need anything: your existing SIM will roam in Japan and give you free SMS and free low-speed data, which is fine for messaging. If those don't apply to you, then someone else might have advice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.