Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Appropriate gifts for Japanese Inn owners.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2019, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Hi,

When in Kyoto i’m Staying in a Ryokan style Inn and the family who run it have been extremely helpful with helping me with my plans in Kyoto. From reading trip advisor, it seems they always offer a momento gift of personalised calligraphy as people leave.

I thought it might be nice to also give them a gift from my home town of Newcastle, uk.

I was thinking of a nice picture of my home town, some biscuits, or something else.

Will this be recieved well and can anyone think of any other items that a Japanese family may appreciate?

many thanks! H x
kaka likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 4:24 am

Programs: QF WP
Of course nothing is expected.

however...

When I worked in Japan, specifically local and difficult to source items were always appreciated (I used to go to Harvey Nichols and buy things like tea and shortbread and “proper English cups with a saucer” etc to take). Good quality single malt whiskey used to go down well with the men (lord only knows why given how good Japanese whiskey is). And then, obviously depending how long you’re staying for, I also found printing out a photo of *me with whoever* and putting it in a frame was well received

disclaimer- my locales were Sendai and northern Hokkaido so people may have been slightly more parochial and easy to impress. This was also in 2006 and I gather there has been something of an explosion in tourism since then
kaka likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 5:07 am

Programs: Delta
In my opinion, it's best not to give anything. They will be most honored that you had a good time and enjoyable stay at their place. A gift from you will not increase their pleasure in serving you. You are the customer, they want you to be pleased. Verbal expressions of thanks are great, not leaving your room a mess would be appreciated, not disturbing the environment with noisy or rude behavior would be received very well. But frankly, a gift from you would not make a difference. Again, this is my opinion.

That aside, if giving a gift, an interesting food item from your local area always seems to be very well received and is the safest gift I think for situations that call for a gift.
freecia likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:34 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
I've always given things from the food section of Harrods (Tea/shortbread as above said) from the UK, or Peninsula (Tea/chocolates) from HK as omiyage (souvenirs from "where you travelled from") if I'm staying at someone's place (*ryokan/minshuku/friend's home) as suggested above. Single Malt is also a good idea for hosts who drink (if I'm not sure, I would go back to the earlier suggestion)
As a benchmark, I'm thinking Fortnum and Mason isn't exactly the best option unless you have your very last budgeting issue... given that the difference in price of tea COULD be v small between the 2 places. I don't intend seek attention by naming brands, but I think Harrods is a brand that is more respectable in Japan (or the Pen, in case from HK).

*one place my parents (usually) or my gf+me visit at least once every year around foilage. I always bring some something special, I believe my parents do the same. But I don't do it to other one-time places.

Originally Posted by nancypants
disclaimer- my locales were Sendai and northern Hokkaido so people may have been slightly more parochial and easy to impress. This was also in 2006 and I gather there has been something of an explosion in tourism since then
I dont think most Japanese would mind too much - unless you run into a connoisseur of some sort, some product of the top department store would be respectable enough.

Last edited by kaka; Jan 31, 2019 at 6:40 am
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:46 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by Flyingmedic
I thought it might be nice to also give them a gift from my home town of Newcastle, uk.

How about Roger Mellie's profanisaurus?
40th Anniversary Edition Profanisaurus - Viz

Originally Posted by nishimark
That aside, if giving a gift, an interesting food item from your local area always seems to be very well received and is the safest gift I think for situations that call for a gift.
One of these, then ...
https://www.greggs.co.uk/bakes/vegan-sausage-roll

Joking aside, Nishimark is right - A sincere, verbal, expression of thanks is the best way to show your appreciation of the ryokan's hospitality. A well packaged food gift is unnecessary but would be easy enough for the ryokan to accept - perhaps some locally made biscuits or cakes in an attractive tin. If you give a pictures, a book, or something else "permanent," chances are that it won't be used.
If you bake, then bring something homemade. That gift would be very gratefully received, I'm sure.
Flyingmedic likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I sometimes take Okashi when staying at inns/family run hotels in Japan. The idea is that the workers can share them on a tea break.
Okashi is a snack that goes with tea. It shouldn’t be too sweet.
Fortnum and Mason and Duchy Originals both make shortbread that is appreciated by Japanese people (buttery yet crisp and light). Unfortunately, both brands are aware of this and they can be found in Japan, costs a little more, but not by a huge amount.

In your case, coming from Newcastle (and you’ll be visting in the summer, won’t you? AVOID CHOCOLATE), my suggestion would be locally made ginger snaps. Like these from Ringtons:
https://www.ringtons.co.uk/treats-c8...snaps-300g-p31
Ringtons sell the ginger snaps in a nice can, but it’s out of stock right now. That would solve the carrying it around problem. I take paper with me to Japan and wrap my gifts just before I give them. Otherwise they just get messed up in transit and when unpacking and repacking.
Flyingmedic, nancypants and kaka like this.

Last edited by LapLap; Jan 31, 2019 at 7:16 am
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:19 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
1. it's their job to provide excellent service
2. they are the owners. They set the prices you pay, which includes providing #1 above.

There is the thinking, especially among Europeans, that you tip only the employees, never the owners. Which makes sense.

I bring gift for friends and relatives; or clients in the hope that I will get their business; or hosts offering accommodation / meals, at reduced rates or for free.

When you visit the same inn year after year and they recognize you, they are your friends.

And then in Japan, when people receive gifts, they have an obligation to reciprocate.
freecia likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions,

I’m not giving the gift as a tip, or to try and secure better service, as it will be given as we leave. It’s not something I usually think to do, but this family have gone above and beyond in their assistance and suggestions for my travels, and from reading reviews, this continues during the stay. They seem to offer lifts to tourist destinations and genuinely find joy in giving people the best experience, and encourage travellers to spend evenings sharing stories with them in the family living room. They seem the type of people who would really appreciate that someone brought them something from their own country to experience.

I loved the Greggs sausage roll suggestion haha. More realistic for me than Fortnum and Mason! There’s even the vegan version now!

Thanks everyone!
Old Jan 31, 2019, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the suggestions,

I’m not giving the gift as a tip, or to try and secure better service, as it will be given as we leave. It’s not something I usually think to do, but this family have gone above and beyond in their assistance and suggestions for my travels, and from reading reviews, this continues during the stay. They seem to offer lifts to tourist destinations and genuinely find joy in giving people the best experience, and encourage travellers to spend evenings sharing stories with them in the family living room. They seem the type of people who would really appreciate that someone brought them something from their own country to experience.

I loved the Greggs sausage roll suggestion haha. More realistic for me than Fortnum and Mason! There’s even the vegan version now!

Thanks everyone!
Another option that would show genuine appreciation of their hospitality would be to write a heartfelt message in a Christmas card with a Geordie flavour and a seasonal stamp.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 4:40 pm
tt7

Thumbs up

Coals, obviously.....
nancypants and rustykettel like this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 5:56 pm

I vote for nothing.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:03 pm

I was at a hotel breakfast buffet in Hokkaido on Xmas Day when this English lady waltzed in and started going around saying Merry Christmas to all the employees and handing each of them something (some type of gift) in a highly public manner. I don't know how folks feel about visitors pulling off stuff like that in Jpn. Anyways, this is an aside as I know the OP is interested in doing something discreetly.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by evergrn
I was at a hotel breakfast buffet in Hokkaido on Xmas Day when this English lady waltzed in and started going around saying Merry Christmas to all the employees and handing each of them something (some type of gift) in a highly public manner. I don't know how folks feel about visitors pulling off stuff like that in Jpn. Anyways, this is an aside as I know the OP is interested in doing something discreetly.
It seems to me that gift giving in this manner is more for the giver than the receiver. There are cultural differences involved. OP wants to show appreciation, which is very good. If he/she wants to give a gift to the ryokan owner, frankly, the giver will receive much more benefit than the receiver. In my opinion, the best way to show appreciation to a Japanese in this situation is by receiving their service with pleasure. Not sure if that makes sense.
evergrn likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:24 pm

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by nishimark
an interesting food item from your local area always seems to be very well received

He's coming from Newcastle..... "interesting food item" isn't on the available list of options.
nancypants and kaka like this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:58 pm
tt7

Originally Posted by JamesBigglesworth
He's coming from Newcastle..... "interesting food item" isn't on the available list of options.
Hang on, a bottle of Newcastle Brown never goes amiss.....
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.