Wiki Posts
Search

Get ready for more HND international routes

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:07 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
It's already DOA, the new Canadian CEO of AF/KLM gave it the axe ! He will now move to get the unions in line, which he successfully did at Air Canada.

I would be happy if JALANA would get a flight or 2 to Canada other than YVR from HND.

In our mailbox was a colour pamphlet from the government explaining the new flight paths and the times when they will be used. The new flight paths are right over my place and cover a large swath of Minato-Ku, Shibuya-Ku etc. Heaviest use of the new flight paths will be between late afternoon and early evening.
is it ok to have the mailer uploaded here?
Old Feb 21, 2019, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
UA has applied to serve HND from EWR, IAD, ORD, IAH, LAX and GUM, and says it intends to end NRT service from ORD, IAD and IAH if it gets HND rights.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...hnd-slots.html
pudgym29 likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by joejones
UA has applied to serve HND from EWR, IAD, ORD, IAH, LAX and GUM, and says it intends to end NRT service from ORD, IAD and IAH if it gets HND rights.

DL said something similar, didn't they? In case of DL said something like if they cannot get slots at HND, then move operation to ICN where Sky Team partner KE is located, didn't they?
Old Feb 21, 2019, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

AA is asking for 2x DFW-HND, 1x LAX-HND and 1x LAS-HND (!), per TPG.
Details here. LAX will be a red-eye, yay!
kaka likes this.

Last edited by joejones; Feb 21, 2019 at 1:58 pm
Old Feb 21, 2019, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Delta is requesting 2x HNL and 1x ATL, DTW, PDX and SEA. Unclear whether it would then terminate the routes from NRT.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...haneda-456005/
Old Feb 21, 2019, 4:54 pm

UA (and everyone else) is moving to shift to HND. I’m sure NRT and Chiba have a lot to say to the government To thwart this.

Delta is requesting 2x HNL and 1x ATL, DTW, PDX and SEA. Unclear whether it would then terminate the routes from NRT.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...haneda-456005/
Dont give any to DL. DL just seems to want to grab slots and rights with no long term commitment. That’s always been their pattern when it comes to Jpn.

AA is asking for 2x DFW-HND, 1x LAX-HND and 1x LAS-HND (!), per TPG.
Details here. LAX will be a red-eye, yay!
more red eye pls!

Last edited by armagebedar; Feb 25, 2019 at 4:02 am Reason: subsequent posts by same poster
Old Feb 23, 2019, 2:32 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
I'm happy to see more red-eyes, since daytime flights won't connect to HND-SHA. Personal preference that might not be shared by many, but I'd rather spend time connecting in HND (even overnight- I'll just spend the night at the First Cabin at HND T1) than flying nonstop into PVG. It's so much less crowded and transport is easier.
jib71 likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 8:32 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jamar
I'm happy to see more red-eyes, since daytime flights won't connect to HND-SHA. Personal preference that might not be shared by many, but I'd rather spend time connecting in HND (even overnight- I'll just spend the night at the First Cabin at HND T1) than flying nonstop into PVG. It's so much less crowded and transport is easier.
oh no!
Old Feb 23, 2019, 9:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

My thoughts
1. NRT does not have a bright future
-it's not especially close to Tokyo
-it is no longer a good connection option
2. HND will excel as an O/D airport, but ICN is much better for connections to other cities in Asia
3. The six slots on offer will be split between the US3
-EWR-HND
-ORD-HND
-DFW-HND (only one)
-LAX-HND
-SEA-HND
-IAD-HND
LapLap, jib71 and pudgym29 like this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by moondog
3. The six slots on offer will be split between the US3
There are actually 12 new slot pairs (each slot pair supports a landing and a takeoff) that are being assigned by US DOT, and 12 new slot pairs being assigned by Japanese authorities.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by moondog
1. NRT does not have a bright future
-it's not especially close to Tokyo
-it is no longer a good connection option
2. HND will excel as an O/D airport, but ICN is much better for connections to other cities in Asia
One would think NRT is theoretically not positioned well to have a bright future.
But it will always have a future, because Chiba prefecture (and consequently the Jpn government) will see to it that it does.

You're probably right that HND will excel more as an O-D airport than an international hub, because of capacity issues and also the issue of its international growth being hindered by the need to pander to NRT. But I'm certain TYO still aspires to stay in competition for having an international hub airport. Yet things aren't headed in the right direction because, while the increased international flights at HND have made it a more functional transit airport, DL and UA have really scaled back at NRT over the past 5-6 years. And unless we have a more crisp definition of NRT and HND's respective roles, TYO will always have a wonky situation where it's posing its own barriers to developing a true efficient hub and thus continues to lose Japanese pax to ICN and/or require those dreaded inter-airport transfers.

I think the most logical scenarios might be:
1). HND becomes hubs for JL and NH (hence, airport for OW and Star), while NRT becomes the airport for Skyteam and all other airlines, LCC, freight and limited JL and NH operations for strictly O-D international travel.
2). HND maintains status as mostly domestic airport with limited & capped international traffic for primarily O-D purpose (as now), while NRT is allowed to continue to grow as the unquestioned hub.

(1) seems impossible politically, as Chiba, Keisei and DL/Sky will not let this happen.
(2) seems to me the more realistic scenario, but one might argue this is merely continuing the status-quo and why not develop the more geographically convenient airport. My response to that is that it wouldn't exactly be status-quo because I'm proposing that we take NRT to new heights by adding more infrastructure (another runway, do something to shave 10min off current NEx travel time to Tokkyo) and increasing the # of domestic flights.

Option (2) would be sort of like Dulles and National, only with National having some international flights. But Dulles works because it has plenty of real estate, capacity and all the domestic flights to feed all its international flights.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 6:34 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by evergrn
But it will always have a future, because Chiba prefecture (and consequently the Jpn government) will see to it that it does.
I guess the word "bright" is crucial here.
The Japanese government may determine that there will always be a corner of Chiba that is NRT. They've demonstrated a stubborn determination about this for a long time. But with international competition in the equation (e.g. ICN), the brightness of NRT's future is not entirely in the hands of the Japanese government and Chiba prefecture.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by jib71
I guess the word "bright" is crucial here.
The Japanese government may determine that there will always be a corner of Chiba that is NRT. They've demonstrated a stubborn determination about this for a long time. But with international competition in the equation (e.g. ICN), the brightness of NRT's future is not entirely in the hands of the Japanese government and Chiba prefecture.
Yes, well they really need to decide first on the big picture and get things right. If they favor NRT, fine. For me I'm okay with NRT as Tokyo's primary international gateway and certainly nothing wrong with it becoming a hub airport. After all, it is still very well-connected to the city center in comparison to many other major airports around the world, its 60km distance away from Tokyo notwithstanding. There is considerably more real estate at NRT than HND and, now that the anti-airport faction has mostly quieted down, I suspect it is easier to expand NRT than HND. If Jpn wants to build an international research/medical hub like ICN's to go along with airport hub, then NRT is also probably more suited for that than HND. If Jpn wants to sort of ditch NRT and put all the spotlight on HND, fine too. I just think the current wishy-washy juxtaposition of NRT/HND without a clear vision is not doing anyone any favors.

I blame Jpn government's years of ineptitude in handling NRT situation for NRT's longstanding limitations and subsequently what has led to this current NRT/HND dilemma. Had they been more aggressive in dealing with those last-remaining stubborn farmers (I'm talking 1990's, not 60's~70's when things were untenable), NRT would've had 3 runways 20 years ago. That probably would've helped NRT a lot to hold down its position as Asian's leading gateway, perhaps even allowed JAL & ANA to operate more domestic connecting flights, and we wouldn't even be talking about HND.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

Narita decided to build the third runway a year ago.

Narita Airport to get 3rd runway to meet demand, operate longer?The Asahi Shimbun

If you want something 10 minutes faster than NEX... try the Skyliner.
kaka likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 9:44 pm

Narita decided to build the third runway a year ago.

Narita Airport to get 3rd runway to meet demand, operate longer?The Asahi Shimbun

If you want something 10 minutes faster than NEX... try the Skyliner.
I'm aware of the above news, but what I'm saying is this should've happened 20-25 years ago. This long delay has put TYO behind the 8 ball and opened up Pandora's box that is HND's international operations (which is not all bad, of course). NRT was supposed to have 3 runways, but the government dragged their feet on this when they should've pursued this more aggressively around late 80's~early 90's. Better late than never, but nonetheless very late. That's Jpn government for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.