Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Hamburger recommendations (2019 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hamburger recommendations (2019 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2019, 8:45 am

any good burger places open in the middle of the night?
Tavern on S in NEWoMan in Shinjuku Station is open from 7am - 4am, and serves a couple of different burger variations. Their food is generally pretty good, but I haven't actually tried their burgers.

Also, Hard Rock Cafe in Roppongi is open until 2am weeknights, 4am on weekends.
joejones likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lobsterdog

Also, Hard Rock Cafe in Roppongi is open until 2am weeknights, 4am on weekends.
For decades, US visitors have queued for hours to eat a burger at the Old Park Lane Hard Rock Cafe in London.
Americans clearly have an amazing patience and tolerance of lines and waiting around
kaka and lobsterdog like this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by LapLap
Chowhound??
This thread is quickly turning into the new “Rendezvous” from the Japan Times in its heyday.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20.../#.XGozTqJKjcs
Old Feb 19, 2019, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Alav Hashalom.......
Old Feb 19, 2019, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ainternational
Indeed. *I* was. That doesn’t impact the other half... logic doesn’t play a role there, ya know?

Japanese clearly have an amazing patience and tolerance of lines and waiting around. Something I could definitely learn from.

Nevertheless, was enjoyable! The poor older woman running the place looked frazzled and apologetic. Call me crazy though, I still DO love the Shake Shack patties just as much. The rest of the burger at SS, however, leaves something to be desired. Fellows was good but I think I’ll take mjm’s advice next time.

Got a kick out of the extra raw onions I asked for which flabbergasted the hostess, was charged for (of course) and was more than half an onion. Unfortunately they didn’t wash the onion slices like most places do in Japan. I smelled like high holy onion for 24 hours. Lol.

BTW, what’s up with 6 fries?
You can lead then to water but can't make them drink.........still there are many more better burger joints than "Fellows", without having to put up with the Instagram hordes !
Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:42 pm
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
You can lead then to water but can't make them drink.........still there are many more better burger joints than "Fellows", without having to put up with the Instagram hordes !
Do tell. Many more? I can think of a few on a par but not "many more". Share please....
Old Feb 20, 2019, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mjm
Do tell. Many more? I can think of a few on a par but not "many more". Share please....
We've been to at least three together..........isn't that many more than a few ?
mjm likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 6:18 pm
mjm
Original Member

We've been to at least three together..........isn't that many more than a few ?
My fading memory recalls Firehouse but beyond that you've got me.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by 5khours
Fellows Review

15 minute wait for the table. Of the 20 seats in the place, 19 were occupied by school girls or young OLs. In a burger joint? Very suspicious. While I was waiting 30 minutes for the burger, I had to watch the girl at the next table take 237 bites to consume her burger. It was like watching a carnivorous rabbit.... totally unappetizing. Chalkboard on the wall had instructions on eating a hamburger. Last line was ”ナイフあります” (We have knives.) In a burger joint. Doubly suspicious.

Burger finally arrived and I put away all the prejudice and suspicion of my initial impressions.

So....
Bun - not bad... a little soft. Check
Tomato - Good. Check
Lettuce - Iceberg. Crispy. Check
Pickles - Could have used a few more but perfect flavor. Probably Sanyo Shokuhin (the best in Japan). Check
Ketchup - Heinz. Check
Meat - Patty a little thin. No wow in the flavor. This burger so far gets a 5/10..... except...
Onions - Cooked. Boo!!! Not a real hamburger. Disqualified for having cooked onions.

Just for fun I also tried a bacon burger because I've never had one. Bacon was good. But bacon on a burger??? I totally don't get it. It's like mixing Lagavulin and Patron. Won't do that again.

Pros....
Actually liked the ambience of the place.
Very nice older lady acting as hostess and cashier.
Pretty good beer selection.
Walking around the back streets of Omote Sando is always fun.
If you don't count the cooked onions, the burger was OK (but not great.)

Burger - Disqualified
Restaurant Overall - 6/10

I'll try another place and post another review tomorrow.
Could not agree more. No raw onions = not a real burger.

getting hungry now. Once again, middle of the night...
Old Feb 26, 2019, 1:22 am

If you ever find yourself in Shimane Prefecture, I can recommend Sanbe Burger. About the best to be found in these parts-but nothing like you can get in Tokyo. I do like the fact that everything is local-100% Shimane. One branch is located at Mt. Sanbe and recently they opened up another branch at Izumo Shrine.
Sanbe Burger

Old Mar 1, 2019, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Help a man eat well. Don’t think I joined for those excursions. I’ve gleamed Firehouse. Where else? Or better yet, just show me live!
Old Apr 15, 2023, 1:11 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Oak Door at GHT is selling this insanely huge burger for 20,000 yen through May 31...

https://www.tokyo.grand.hyatt.co.jp/...k-door-burger/
Old Apr 15, 2023, 4:09 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
That's gross, simply gross! Although I can see several people eating it at once, the presentation is still gross. I just lost my appetite.
Old Apr 15, 2023, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
That's just disgusting. Par for the Oak Door.
Old Apr 15, 2023, 9:25 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
The Old Imperial Bar at The Imperial Hotel. Club sandwich also hard to beat
hijiji likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.