Wiki Posts
Search

Cheap restaurant / eat-in fastfood chain - rating/opinion

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2019, 11:28 pm
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by jib71
I think they're in different categories - like Japanese curry rice and Indian food. Liking one doesn't preclude you from appreciating the other.
I think people who like it see it as a burger. Not sure about the curry comparison although what is meant is crystal clear. It pales so severely in comparison to the plethora of extraordinary burger places here that I cannot quite get it. Seems to be a leftover passion from when people were young maybe?
Old Jan 19, 2019, 11:30 pm
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by evergrn
I forgot about mjm's devotion to Cocoichi (he probably works for them). I guess we'll never agree on that one.
No she doesn't but ought to buy stock in them soon.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 1:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LCUF
Too long ago to remember what I got exactly but it was totally not what I expectd. I guess I will have to give KFC in Japan a try again.
Well, don't go out of your way to try KFC while in Jpn. Me saying it's better than the US one isn't much of an endorsement.

Out of all the budget chain places on my list, the only thing close to a must-have when I visit Jpn is Gindaco. Gindaco, Starbucks, Vie de France, RF1 and maybe Omusubi Gonbei are about the only widespread chain brands I try to seek out on every visit (I only included Gindaco in the discussion up to this point, because the other places are not eateries). I used to have to have MOS and Doutor, but those have sunk down on my priority list. I don't know if it's just me, but I feel like the standard for budget food in Jpn is getting lower, outside of ramen and gyoza and Gindaco.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Took me a while to remember the name of the chain restaurant we used to eat at occasionally when we were based in Yoyogi. Still do, have taken LapChild (she still has the “Thomas Tankin” purse she was given with her meal)

Ootoya. They have branches all over, but I still find the Yoyogi one particularly convenient.

That was OK. I’ll choose it over Denny’s and Royal Host. Useful choice when you need to eat outside of the conventional lunch time.

Looks like this if anyone is by Yoyogi station and needs to fuel up
https://www.cookdoor.jp/dtl/1060011667/
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:01 am

Programs: UA MM *G, NH Plat/SFC, HH Diamond, GE
Originally Posted by LapLap
Took me a while to remember the name of the chain restaurant we used to eat at occasionally when we were based in Yoyogi. Still do, have taken LapChild (she still has the “Thomas Tankin” purse she was given with her meal)

Ootoya. They have branches all over, but I still find the Yoyogi one particularly convenient.
Ootoya is a solid fast casual restaurant. I used to order their kaki-fry lunch set all the time when my office was in Nishi--shinjuku.

My favorite fast food chain is Tendon Tenya. They aren't everywhere, but in enough of my go-to neighborhoods to be convenient.
LapLap likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by groovbusta
Ootoya is a solid fast casual restaurant. I used to order their kaki-fry lunch set all the time when my office was in Nishi--shinjuku.

My favorite fast food chain is Tendon Tenya. They aren't everywhere, but in enough of my go-to neighborhoods to be convenient.
So you were visiting the same Ootoya branch. The fried oysters was one of the main reasons I’d go back too.
Edit to add - here it is https://www.ootoya.com/menu/detail/002864.html

Will have to check out Tendon Tenya. Between that chain and Hageten I will have Tokyo covered.
groovbusta likes this.

Last edited by LapLap; Jan 21, 2019 at 3:26 am
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:27 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
I used to have to have MOS and Doutor, but those have sunk down on my priority list.
Doutor for food or just drinks? I have yet to have a matcha latte back home that is the equivalent from there, and a regular latte is almost as good. Even JPN Starbucks doesn't quite match it imo.
ksandness likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Ootoya.
Ootoya looks good. I've seen them all over, but I've never thought to try them. I like miso katsu once in a while, and the menu says they have it there.

Originally Posted by rustykettel
Doutor for food or just drinks? I have yet to have a matcha latte back home that is the equivalent from there, and a regular latte is almost as good. Even JPN Starbucks doesn't quite match it imo.
Doutor for drinks. I've had sandwich there before... was not good. I used to buy their maccha latte thinking it was good until I realized Starbucks' was better. Doutor's maccha tastes more artificial to me and, after one sip, the foam goes and you're just drinking maccha milk. The one at Starbucks tastes like more authentic maccha (although it's probably pricer, too) and you have a better chance of getting a drink that stays foamy, although it also depends on who's making it. If you're there right now, you should try their seasonal black sesame latte (goma goma latte) which is an unbelievable drink.

I get iced coffee at Doutor, which I think is really good, but the standard for iced coffee in Jpn is quite high and these days you get great iced coffee at konbini for less.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA MM *G, NH Plat/SFC, HH Diamond, GE
So you were visiting the same Ootoya branch. The fried oysters was one of the main reasons I’d go back too.
Edit to add - here it is https://www.ootoya.com/menu/detail/002864.html

Will have to check out Tendon Tenya. Between that chain and Hageten I will have Tokyo covered.
There's a bunch of Ootoya in/around nishi-shinjuku and yoyogi... I used to go to the one in a two-story circular building, about 10 years ago and I think they moved out of that building awhile ago. Those fried oysters were a new thing for me back then.

I've never been to Hageten and it looks a bit nicer than Tenya. Tenya is really no frills with a ticket machine and self-service water and cleanup station. Seems they're trying to get ahead of the labor shortage.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by groovbusta
There's a bunch of Ootoya in/around nishi-shinjuku and yoyogi... I used to go to the one in a two-story circular building, about 10 years ago and I think they moved out of that building awhile ago. Those fried oysters were a new thing for me back then.
It was exactly 10 years ago when I was pregnant, that’s when Ootoya came into its own. Those mineral rich kaki fry tasted GOOD when I had a nutrient leeching symbiont.

I did a bit of research to see if there had been any innovations lately and noticed that there are Ootoya (not sure if it’s confined only to those heavily used by tourists) that have electronic screen tablets タッチパネル that allow your to view the menu and order in English. It will be interesting to see what kind of data these tablets provide. There is huge potential here for visitors with dietary restrictions to get to explore more food options than they might ordinarily get to.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:14 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
If you're there right now, you should try their seasonal black sesame latte (goma goma latte) which is an unbelievable drink.
I'm not and that sounds delicious.
ksandness likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rustykettel
I'm not and that sounds delicious.
Not to rub it in, but here's a pic. Tastes MUCH better than it looks. I requested no whip cream, though. There are little clusters of sesame floating in there, too. Unbelievable drink.

A major bummer is that I just found out they no longer sell it. This came out the day after Xmas and I last had this just a couple weeks ago before I left Jpn. I was planning to get this as soon as I got off the plane next month. I can't believe they already pulled it. It was so damn good.
rustykettel likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:48 pm
Original Poster

Hidakaya chuukasoba set (600yen... hits the spot)

pudgym29 likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

evergrn - I’m curious to know, is there any discernible difference between the gyoza at Hidakaya and the frozen ones from a company such as Ajinomoto that are prepared at home?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 1:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
1. Don't forget to consider takeout from department store basement food halls.

2. Another option is yakatori under the tracks (under the JR line just south of Tokyo station).

3. Japanese convenience stores have good Japanese cold food,

4. In many cases, hotel room service isn't out of the question as service/delivery fees might not apply or the service fees can be the same as for food consumed in the restaurant. Of course, with room service, you can order some items from the hotel and do self catering for other stuff like beverages. Look at the pricing details carefully.

5. Similarly, some hotel restaurants might offer various informal/small set meals, sometimes with special offers or discounts for hotel guests or elites.

6. Finally, there are always the vending machines.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.