Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

First time in Tokyo - Asakusa and Ueno

First time in Tokyo - Asakusa and Ueno

Old Jan 17, 2019, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have to admit that I was only visualising the OP starting at Narita Airport and perhaps wanting a cheap, direct route FROM Narita Airport to Asakusa.
My anticipation was that they would look for the departure time on Hyperdia. I mentioned (Tobu) only because that is the way to identify the route on Hyperdia, it’s not easy to find information on this route elsewhere.

I confess that I hadn’t fully considered the reality of getting back to Narita Airport from Asakusa.
And that’s why I post publically and avoid giving advice via PM. It seems impossible to consider every eventuality for everybody’s situation and from every person’s point of view.

No matter. It’s not the most pleasantly arrived at resolution, but between us we seem to have covered everything. It’s a shame that all this Data won’t read in the friendly way it was supposed to be conveyed.
kaka likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 3:26 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
A few posts have been deleted. Name calling is against the FT rules. Please avoid getting personal with other members, no matter how heated the discussion may become.

Regards,
armagebedar
Japan forum moderator
Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Is that relatively new or did I just miss it? I always used the subway to/from Ueno and the Skyliner to/from NRT. Wish I'd known about an easier/cheaper way.
I was using these Keisei/Toei 'no-connection' trains from NRT through to Higash-Ginza and further, back in 2015.

From Narita airport, Keisei's 'Access Express' service has trains that feed into the Toei Asakusa (and Keikyu) lines, through the Toei Asakusa and Higashi-Ginza subway stations and onto HND. Conversely, there are trains from as far south as Nishi-Magome that head back along the same series of Toei (not Tobu) Asakusa line stations, into the Keisei line towards NRT.

So you stay on board either way. The trick is that these through trains run more frequently during the early morning and late afternoon hours, from what I had seen on Hyperdia and Google Maps. See: Toei Asakusa Subway Line

It's a southern corridor away from the JR Sobu/Chuo/Yamanote rail network, the latter of which partly converges on Tokyo Station via Shibuya, Shinagawa, Shinjuku etc., which JR's Narita Express serves well.

Last edited by FlitBen; Jan 18, 2019 at 6:47 am
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just to check. Nobody has come across a timetable for the thru service from Narita Airport to Asakusa (and Sengakuji) have they?
I’d love to find this.
Am always a little nervous relying exclusively on Hyperdia (this thread is yet another example of why that is) but I’ve not found any alternative way to pick out the train times.

——
Always good to learn, and I have gained a glimpse into a different way people perceive and think about interlinked stations. May prove helpful when giving information about my local Kings Cross/St Pancras/Thameslink stations as well as others, such as Bank/Monument, here in London.
kaka likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 3:41 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by LapLap
Just to check. Nobody has come across a timetable for the thru service from Narita Airport to Asakusa (and Sengakuji) have they?
Id love to find this.
Am always a little nervous relying exclusively on Hyperdia (this thread is yet another example of why that is) but Ive not found any alternative way to pick out the train times.

Always good to learn, and I have gained a glimpse into a different way people perceive and think about interlinked stations. May prove helpful when giving information about my local Kings Cross/St Pancras/Thameslink stations as well as others, such as Bank/Monument, here in London.
All on the Keisei website, @LapLap:

Timetable/Route Map | KEISEI Electric Railway

OT, but as for London, have you seen these maps?

https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/201...nd-station-ab/
kaka likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stut
Thank you, I’ve seen this but I still need to refer to/cross check with Hyperdia as the timetable doesn’t distinguish between trains that run direct to Asakusa/Sengakuji and those that require a change (eg at Aoto)
An example is the one that leaves Narita T1 weekdays at 22:03 (AU)
It didn’t seem like the definitive timetable I was hoping for, but it is probably as good as it gets.
OT, but as for London, have you seen these maps?

https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/201...nd-station-ab/
I hadn’t, they are brilliant. Thanks!
They also do bring to relief the idea that the whole concept of a station can be very different according to personal perception and where one is within - or outside of - that station/stations at the time.
Looked at the wrong Kings Cross map (thee are two) and got very confused!

Last edited by LapLap; Jan 18, 2019 at 4:30 am
Old Jan 18, 2019, 4:36 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Thank you, Ive seen this but I still need to refer to/cross check with Hyperdia as the timetable doesnt distinguish between trains that run direct to Asakusa/Sengakuji and those that require a change (eg at Aoto)
An example is the one that leaves Narita T1 weekdays at 22:03 (AU)
It didnt seem like the definitive timetable I was hoping for, but it is probably as good as it gets.
Basically, the AH ones (headed for Haneda) call at the Asakusa line stations. The AU ones carry on to Ueno, and so need a change at Aoto.

Of course, there may be more definitive information on the Japanese language site, but that's way beyond my ability
LapLap likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Basically, the AH ones (headed for Haneda) call at the Asakusa line stations. The AU ones carry on to Ueno, and so need a change at Aoto.
Aha! And I can’t have noticed that as my focus was fixed on the 23:00 departure (AB which is a “thru train”)

http://www.keisei.co.jp/keisei/tetud...able/index.php

So the full timetable for Access Express trains that go to Asakusa (and Sengakuji) that do not require a change are those marked by the letters
AH, AM, AB & AN
Also the weekend/holiday AK trains

Those with AU (towards Ueno - I get it now) require the change.

Yeay!

Thanks again!

Last edited by LapLap; Jan 18, 2019 at 5:08 am
Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Instead of Hyperdia, I would strongly recommend using Google Maps for transit directions. You can plan a journey from exact point to exact point, and it will consider all of the available station and transfer options, including walking time. Google also has the limousine bus timetables loaded and will show you bus options alongside train options.

Here's an example of directions from NRT T1 to the Sheraton Miyako - check out the "Schedule Explorer" for a nice visual representation of the different options and how long they would take.
LapLap and kaka like this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Theoretically, that’s great. I hadn’t realised Google Maps had caught up so much with public transport. And as you said, it has local bus routes too, amazing! (97品 from Sengakuji - when it isn’t too late)

On the other hand, I can’t get the date to scroll past the 2nd February. Is that because it can’t show you journeys very far in advance?
kaka likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
You should be able to choose any date and time if you look under the "Depart at" header in the sidebar, but they seem to only have schedules loaded through mid-March.
LapLap likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:28 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Theoretically, thats great. I hadnt realised Google Maps had caught up so much with public transport. And as you said, it has local bus routes too, amazing! (97品 from Sengakuji - when it isnt too late)
I use and like Google Maps for navigating, but it does have some quirks.

Sometimes I find I need to move the starting location to see the route that I want. And for local buses in Tokyo, it often has a mix of untranslated Japanese and romaji which can make it a little difficult. We ended up on the wrong bus from Mita station because we didn't realize there were two different local bus systems stopping right next to each other. Both the stop and bus were clearly signed in English with Minato Community Bus but that wasn't in Google Maps.
LapLap likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 1:01 am

Theoretically, that’s great. I hadn’t realised Google Maps had caught up so much with public transport. And as you said, it has local bus routes too, amazing! (97品 from Sengakuji - when it isn’t too late)

On the other hand, I can’t get the date to scroll past the 2nd February. Is that because it can’t show you journeys very far in advance?
Originally Posted by joejones
You should be able to choose any date and time if you look under the "Depart at" header in the sidebar, but they seem to only have schedules loaded through mid-March.
Using Google Maps on iOS, the example NRT-to-Sheraton route that joejones posted can be projected up to March 15. So perhaps Google Maps in Japan is good for up to 60 days in the future.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 5:28 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
i often cross-check google maps with hyperdia. google maps can give funny result at times.

re the Keikyu/Toei/Keisei thru train, It must have been 5 years now!? (add: https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E4%BA...89%B9%E6%80%A5 since 2013/10/25)

Last edited by kaka; Jan 19, 2019 at 5:36 am
Old Jan 19, 2019, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by kaka
google maps can give funny result at times.
I'd agree with this.

My choice is transit.yahoo.co.jp There's no English version, though.
You can adjust results based on how fast/slow you can negotiate any tranfers, plus the results provide handy links which easily let you identify later trains for the given station.

For me, Hyperdia's only advantage is that it lets you screen out bullet trains that JR Pass is not valid on. So I only use Hyperdia if I'm using JR Pass, which is rare.
But for non-Japanese readers, I would think Google map + Hyperdia is good.

Anyways, sorry this is getting off-topic...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.